Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Which two "MAGNUM" rifles for ALL N.A. Big Game? >

Which two "MAGNUM" rifles for ALL N.A. Big Game?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Which two "MAGNUM" rifles for ALL N.A. Big Game?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which two "MAGNUM" rifles for ALL N.A. Big Game?

ORIGINAL: James B

One source would be www.hodgdon.com. Also when you compare the two, be sure you are using bulleys of equal sectional Density, bullet weights in different caliber will not give accurate results for performance. The 168 gr in 30 cal is about equal to the 150 in 7MM the 160 in 7MM would be close to the 180 in the 30 cal.
I am still not convinced on the SD of a bullet. Can it be proven that 2 different weight bullets with equall SD,s and fired at the same velocities, penetrate equally. I tend to believe the heavier bullet will penetrate farther, not saying I'm right, just saying.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 AM

Default RE: Which two MAGNUM rifles for all N.A. Big Game?

12 gauge shotgun,with slug barrel
20 gauge shotgun with slug barrel
Old 12-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

You may be right. I can,t say for sure on that. The penetration will also be determined buy velocity or lack hereof. However the SD of the bullet and its construction will give the bullet the ability or potental to perform. A bullet has to have a degree of SD to penetrate well. Just from a non professional look the heavier bulley would seem to have more potential to penetrate. However expansion and frontal area can slow or limit penetration as well.

Thus enter Roy Weatherby's theory. BIG HEAVY bullets moving Fast. Would seem to have it all. The price of course is recoil. And also you can have to much of a good thing by having to much velocity without enough SD to allow the bullet to travel a straight path on entry and over expand destroying its penetration. It would seem again that moderation is the key.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:28 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

325 WSM
Old 12-28-2006, 03:57 PM

I don't know enough about this new .325 Win round to say I agree or disagree. Looking up it's ballistic potential is an eye opener. Basically an 8mm round going a bit faster in a short action. This sounds good so far.
How's the recoil? If tolerable to the average shooter, then it will sell well as an acceptablecontender to the infamous .338 Win Mag.; which by the way is a great, great cartridge!!!! In search of an answer, I'll post some numbers from the latest recoil factor table.
.300 WSM w/ a 180 gr bullet moving at 2970 fps has a recoil energy of 27.1 lbs. The 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet at 2700fps is 20.3 lbs of recoil energy. The 8mm Rem mag with a 200 grain bullet moving at 2900 fps generates 32.9 lbs of recoil energy. The .325 WSM 180 grain head moving at 3060 gives you 33.1 lbs of recoil energy. The average shooter/hunter can comfortably tolerate 15-17 lbs of recoil energy. So, as an example most fellas understand, a 12 ga 2 3/4 slug has theapproximate recoil energy as a 375 H&H Mag.; 270-300 grain bullet. How many slugs can most guys shoot off the bench before they flinch they're butts off or call it quits?The 375 H&H Mag has 42.3 lbs of recoil energy. Here's my point: if you cannot tolerate recoil too well, how can most guys sit down at the bench and fire several magnumloads until they find the reight recipe for their gun? Lets be realistic. Far too many folks claim they shoot a blah blah magnum. How often and how well? Do they make consistant one shot kills at many distances, or do they wound or miss because of the "FEAR FLINCH"? Magnums aren't for most average hunters. A 30-06 or .308 Win is the gun they can tolerate under most conditions. With todays new advances in factory ammo, a .30-06 can do alot more than it did 15 years ago.