Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Benelli R1?

Old 11-27-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Benelli R1?

Hey everyone,

I live in southern Michigan so I don't know crap about rifles, we use slugs or bows down here. I have friends that live out west that have invited me out plus I plan to do some other hunting trips going for whitetails, mulies, pronghorns, elk carabou and maybe some sheep.

I was looking at the Benelli R1 and the gun comes a few different ways. From what I hear, I can get it in a .300 Win Mag and order a 2nd barrel in either a .30-06 Springfield, .300 WSM or .270 WSM.

I flat out love the benelli shotguns that I have but I was hoping you guys could fill me in on your thoughts about the R1 and maybe some insight on what 2nd barrel to pick up if any.

Thanks for any help

Keith
Old 11-27-2006, 05:07 PM

Default RE: Benelli R1?

You might be better off getting a Browning BAR. Since they are so close in price.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

You might be better off getting a Browning BAR. Since they are so close in price.
Here here, my uncle has used the Browning BAR (in the .30-06 caliber) for about 10 years or so and he said that he wants to be buried with it with his arms clutching it across his chest Itis his absolute favoriteweapon in his inventory and heowns a benelli shotgun. AllI know is he has killed 5 monster bucks in the last 5 years (2 of them in the 160 class).
Old 11-27-2006, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

Here here, my uncle has used the Browning BAR (in the .30-06 caliber) for about 10 years or so and he said that he wants to be buried with it with his arms clutching it across his chest Itis his absolute favoriteweapon in his inventory and heowns a benelli shotgun. AllI know is he has killed 5 monster bucks in the last 5 years (2 of them in the 160 class).
Why did you use my quote? I personally have owned 2 BAR's and loved them to death.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

ummmm, I'm actually agreeing with you. Like I said, my uncle has used one for 10 years and he loves it to death. He actually traded in two bolt action rifles for it.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

ummmm, I'm actually agreeing with you. Like I said, my uncle has used one for 10 years and he loves it to death. He actually traded in two bolt action rifles for it.
Oh, lol, I didn't mean anything by it, yeah, I had a couple of BAR's one in .300 Win Mag and the other in .338 Win Mag, they shot pretty good off of the bench, and even managed to take a few whitetails. Best semi auto rifles on the market.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

The R-1 did not prove to be that great of a shooter when it first came out. Maybe it has improved but I think there are better guns for the money.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Renelli R1?

Both the Browning BAR and the R1 are great guns.I do like the recoil reduction system on the r1 when it can so caled make a 300WSM feel like a .270.If I had to pick 1 caliber to get the R1 in I would go with the 30-06 becuase it can be used for any big game in North America.Now if you plan on getting it in a 300 Winchester Mag I would then also get a .270 Mag Barrel with it.The only thing is that you will have to change your sight and take the gun in to the gunsmith every time you want to change out your barrel thus is why I would buy it in 30-06 and be done with it.If you have any other guns thatare of alighter caliber then a 300wsm would be a good choose for your larger big game animals.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the info, I have decided on the 30-06 but still not on what gun to go with.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I would buy the R1.Both guns are nice but the look and the comfert in shooting the R1 will make you never want to look back at the BAR.

Quick Reply: Benelli R1?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.