Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.270 too light for elk?

Old 11-26-2006, 08:35 PM

Default RE: .270 too light for elk?

killthe 9th one with a 270this year that 9 out of 17+ elkand my son killed his with one. both took 1 shot. I know people that take them with a 243. NO A 270 IS NOT TO LIGHT FOR ELK.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on using a .270 winchester for elk? The reason I ask is I want to go on an elk hunt in the next couple of years and I don't want to buy another rifle if I don't have to. Also, if any of you have used a .270 for elk, what type of bullet would you recommend (i.e. Nosler Partition, etc).

Thanks

Sean
Do us all afavor please. Stop posting these blatantly argumentativetopics. This is like asking a room full of truck lovers "what's better Ford or Chevy?".

Be a discerning mind. Read some books. Read some websites. Use some logic and your own intelligence to make the best decision for yourself.
My thoughts exactly Brutal, now lets talk about wolves.[8D]
Old 11-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do us all afavor please. Stop posting these blatantly argumentativetopics. This is like asking a room full of truck lovers "what's better Ford or Chevy?".

Be a discerning mind. Read some books. Read some websites. Use some logic and your own intelligence to make the best decision for yourself.
Brutal, did your girlfriend leave you or something? You're acting really retarded! This guy is asking for advice that is asked for often, and you just spit in his face like that! C'mon! You need to be more courteous to people. If you're offended by this thread that MO-KS posted, then don't look at it! Un-Subscribe, and your troubles will be over!

MO-KS hunter, don't worry about BrutalAttack, he's just wanting to stir up trouble and doesn't even want to answer your question. If you have good shot placement, and use a good bullet, a .270 will take an elk down as good as a .340 Weatherby can.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Brutal, did your girlfriend leave you or something? You're acting really retarded! This guy is asking for advice that is asked for often, and you just spit in his face like that! C'mon! You need to be more courteous to people. If you're offended by this thread that MO-KS posted, then don't look at it! Un-Subscribe, and your troubles will be over!

MO-KS hunter, don't worry about BrutalAttack, he's just wanting to stir up trouble and doesn't even want to answer your question. If you have good shot placement, and use a good bullet, a .270 will take an elk down as good as a .340 Weatherby can.
I thought I was very courteous. Anyone who uses the search function would see that this dead horse has been beat to a bloody pulp. It's just unnecessary to keep posting the same questions over and over.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, except for a few less than courteous individuals, I appreciate everyone's opinion. As for a response to Brutalattack's response, the only reason I asked is because I've read (yes I do read books on the subject as you so eloquently told me to do) that the .270 win is right on the hairy edge of what should be considered an adequate caliber for elk. I also wanted individual opinions on the type of .270 round people use as well. I didn't post something that would be considered contravertial (such as shooting a grizzley with .223) that warrents a stiff response, just a question. If you don't like my thread, then don't respond[:@][:@][:@]

Old 11-27-2006, 10:05 AM

I shot a 30.06 but my buddy shot a .270 and ive seen it (i know its a little risky)drop moose but he was putting right in the sweet spot right behind the shoulder and it would drop them so yah id say its good enough for elk.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 AM

Many people think the 270 is sufficient. On the other hand others think that its marginal at best. My stand on it is this: If you have to ask then you already know the answer. I think you would be better suited shooting something less marginal like say a 7 mag or larger.

If you must use the 270 Be sure to use a quality bullet like a Barnes TSX, or Nosler Partition and you should do ok.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I'm going against my own grain,but we took5 elk this year 3 with a 270 win 150 grainNosler.The only onethat died with one shot was my wifes and it was spike.Shot placement is key,but I still like a larger cal.
BBJ
Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

As for a response to Brutalattack's response, the only reason I asked is because I've read (yes I do read books on the subject as you so eloquently told me to do) that the .270 win is right on the hairy edge of what should be considered an adequate caliber for elk.
The problem is MO-KS_hunter is that the guys that have had negative experiences or that do think the .270 is too light for elk won't respond to this post. We've been driven into the "closet" on the subject because the other side of the argument REFUSE to listen to anything at all negative about the .270. I am in the same boat. For example everyone talks about shot placement. That's all fine and dandy but NOBODY can have perfect shot placement every time.....butsee even I'm gun shy to go on about it.

The .270 fans will say they've killed 100 elk and never had one go more than a few feet. If that sounds great to you then go for it. If that sounds a bit fishy then usually where there's smoke theres fire.

There are a lot of guys that would answer your question yes. But they won't reply to your post due to all the bickering and mud slinging over the issue. I suppose that doesn't surprise me though. Most hunters are very strong minded individuals. I don't know why it's just the cloth we are cut from.

The funny thing is if there were two or three proven reports of seat belts in Chevy trucks failing (in circumstances where theycertainly should not fail)and a few children had died, every person on this board would quit buying Chevy's. But even with a bunch of stories and experiences people continue to use .270's and when the subject comes up it just get's ugly.

My point is you are only going to get one opinion on this board cause we are flat out sick and tired of battling about it. The pro .270's are obviously much more hard headed than the not so favorable of the .270's for elk because we have been beat down into silence. We have our opinions but now days keep them to ourselves. Not because we lost the argument, but at least on this subject, we have decided that only a fool argues with a fool so we just let it go. And yes a very wise and intelligent person can be a fool about one particular subject.

If you want to hear ALL opinions then you'll have to do some searches.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, except for a few less than courteous individuals, I appreciate everyone's opinion. As for a response to Brutalattack's response, the only reason I asked is because I've read (yes I do read books on the subject as you so eloquently told me to do) that the .270 win is right on the hairy edge of what should be considered an adequate caliber for elk. I also wanted individual opinions on the type of .270 round people use as well. I didn't post something that would be considered contravertial (such as shooting a grizzley with .223) that warrents a stiff response, just a question. If you don't like my thread, then don't respond[:@][:@][:@]
You obviously have no clue what qualifies as "controversial" on this board.

You don't need to be spoon-fed information from us. I searched for "270" and I got 14 different articles, took me 5 seconds.

Quick Reply: .270 too light for elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.