Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Scout Hunting Trip - Fueling Desire to Hunt >

Scout Hunting Trip - Fueling Desire to Hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Scout Hunting Trip - Fueling Desire to Hunt

Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Scout Hunting Trip - Fueling Desire to Hunt

I haven't exactly been losing my drive to hunt, but I did do something that is going to fuel it . . . taking othersonhunts. I took six scouts from my son's Venture Scout crew on a hunt last weekend.

I wasa little put out becauseit got in the way of a hunt I had been planning on my own. The leader couldn't make it and I was pressured into taking over.

On this two day hunt we started in national forest, then on to block management (voluntary state-managed private land, for this who don't know). We finished up with the last boy on a private ranch with almost guaranteed results due to no pressure on nice alfalfa fields. Two landowners who don'tusually allow hunting were more than okay with boy scouts hunting for the first or second time.

Six boys got six deer - four bucks, two does. One on public land, three on block management, two on private ranches. One 1st deer, one 2nd deer. One did not fillbut is out trying today. I did not shoot.

It's just like any other endeavor - so much more fun and rewarding to help someone else than to help yourself.I cannot wait until next year. More boys want to go next time. I just need to be sure they are prepared for anything from total success to totally empty tags. Actually they want to go on a four day backpack bow hunt, knowing full well their odds are purty low.

And to think I was actually feeling burdened by being pressured to organize this. Shame on me. Probably the best hunting experience I've had. I'm not going to fill my buck tag this year and I don't care.

For those who want to re-vitalize interest - teach others to hunt! Call your local scout troop and ask if they want someone to help lead a trip. Doesn't have to be scouts - any organization will do.

I know I'm not by any means the first one who advocates taking others to hunt, but I got to find out first hand how great it is.

FYI for those involved in scouts - as you know hunting is not a recognized part of boy scouting, but it is a recognized part of advanced scouting called Venture Scouts, which is for older scouts and is co-ed(formerly known as Explorer Scouts). Also there is now a hunting merit badge in the experimental stage. Great way to teach the right principles!

Old 11-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scout Hunting Trip - Fueling Desire to Hunt

Good story, and congrats to everyone on the hunt!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scout Hunting Trip - Fueling Desire to Hunt

Jones123, Thanks for spending the time with young hunters. If you had not taken the time tohelp,some of the boys might nothunt? You areteaching & helpingour next generation of hunters.

Good luck next year,

Robert