Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 had my first major injury on annual elk hunt. >

had my first major injury on annual elk hunt.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

had my first major injury on annual elk hunt.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:03 AM

Default RE: had my first major injury on annual elk hunt.

When it comes to feeding the Quads "horses" we take up sweat mix and alph.pellets. As well as hobble or picket so they can graze. this year was real bad on the horses. we had oneslip,flip and tumbled about hundred foot" with my dads Weatherby in the scabbard" stood up at the bottom
and was OK. there hoof's balled up with snow and mud , No grazing to much snow so we made a run to the ranch for some more mix and hay.
They are the first priority in camp we get up at 4:30 to grain and ready them for the hunt, then we eat. I was bucked once bit and kicked this year they were not happy Quads.LoLbut over all they did great.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:03 PM

I've always said the most dangerous part of hunting is field dressing game ........ one slip of a knife and you can die as quickly as the animal you are working on.

Glad you made it out - I came close to my Water Loo in 2002 in the Colorado Elk Mtns ......... its a type of hunting that needs to be taken seriously.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:56 PM

Yep trouble can lurk around every bend of the trail. you can never drop your guard.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:23 AM

Back in 04 my cousin and I were on an elk hunt six miles back in some very rugged country and we both had bulls down. My cousin was just over the mountain from me when he called me on the radio and asked if I had a first aid kit. I always carry one and or several in my packs so I headed over the top to see what had happened. He had opened up his hand pretty good and thought I might have to sew him up but was able to close the wound.

A lot of people and most game departments frown on hunters carring 2 way radios and I understand why. But, for this very reason while in any back country I will always carry them. I believe they have a very legitimate place in hunting and don't feel I should be punished or hampered from the use because of those who use them improperly.

After getting off the mountain and back home I called my cousin the next week and he had gotten into the tendons and the resulting surgery to repair the damage racked up $16K and rendered use of that had useless for about 2 months.Thank goodness for insurance.

My cousin is a very accomplished outdoorsman, spending his life and proffession in remote back country areas and it just goes to show you have to be very very careful and prepared to deal with problems.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM

same thing happend to my cousin last year ,but I was with him,and he had no major damage . does your cousin still have problems with it?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You wanna hear a good one.
About 9 years ago,me and one of my brother-in-laws went hunting over by Lincoln MT.We had put up a tee-pee style wall tent about 2 weeks prior to us going.Well when we showed up the weather had rained and then snowed so the tie strings were froze solid in knots(cause some bonehead tied them that way).So my bro in law ask to barrow my knife,wich at the time was a old schrade elk skinner,so he started picking at the knots while I was unloading the truck.Well I turn around with the cooler and see Rod standing there with his pants around his ankles"I go whet the h_ll you doing".He says do you have any toilet papper?? I go why crap your self??He move his hand away and he had buried that knife to the hilt in is leg.Well I always pack a 1st aid kit,so I go to dressing the wound on the side of the camp ground/road.Well here is me on my knee's in front of a skinny white guy in blue bkinni undies when a truck load of local loggers come driving by in their vintage multi colored 72 ford pick-up.Man you should have seen the look on their faces when they drove by.
Long story short ran him to the hospital,got it fixed up and went back to hunting.Well come to find out he was allergic to that brown stuff the put on for stiches.He swelled up bigger than a blimp,it damn near killed him.But is always a good laugh around the camp fire now.
BBJ
Old 11-29-2006, 07:55 PM

LOL OMG too funny glad he is ok thats a great story.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 AM

Elkslayer338,

It took about a good year to really get better and he says when it is really cold it gets real stiff and sore.

He lives in Kremling so I suspect it is stiff and sore most of the winter.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 PM

LOL mine is killing me right now went on some deer drives today did not think I would be back out this year but you cant stop a hunter!
bagged a 4 point and a doe this after noon in a shot gun only zone.
man oh man wasmy women is pissed when she saw my knee tonight looks like a grape fruit LOL
Old 12-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about your injury. Glad you made it out okay and no perm paralysis.

It is a reminder, like a couple 3 of us Elk hunting this fall had, too. I had a rock the size of a head of lettuce one of the guys accidently kicked loose coming down a steep grade above me roll about 20 feet and hit my ankle. My boot protected me. But we were 5+ miles back in the mountains and it would have been a long tough time struggling up and down ridges in the darkto get out, if my ankle had been broke. Thank God we all made it out fine.

Quick Reply: had my first major injury on annual elk hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.