Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

stupid elk hunters

Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default stupid elk hunters

ok so i hunt gmu unit 11 in nw colorado and so do my neighbors so my dad was askin how they did the 4th season beacuse we got late season tags.and he said the saw hundreds of elk but were all in groups of five to ten and were heading from public to private land and never got a shot. So then they saw a herd of around twenty and they both took lots of shots then one of the guys said "UHhhhh i know i hit one" so they looked around and found a bull that they had killed and your not allowed to hunt bulls in 4th rifile up there and the bull was a 4x3. then a guy with them fell on the antlers and had to go to the hospital. what do you guys think about that?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: stupid elk hunters

ORIGINAL: madmax83192

ok so i hunt gmu unit 11 in nw colorado and so do my neighbors so my dad was askin how they did the 4th season beacuse we got late season tags.and he said the saw hundreds of elk but were all in groups of five to ten and were heading from public to private land and never got a shot. So then they saw a herd of around twenty and they both took lots of shots then one of the guys said "UHhhhh i know i hit one" so they looked around and found a bull that they had killed and your not allowed to hunt bulls in 4th rifile up there and the bull was only a 4x3. then a guy with them fell on the antlers and had to go to the hospital. what do you guys think about that?
I would have called the nearest conservation officer and told him everything. I turn slobs in all the time.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

well the dow out there are pricks we called in a camp for having 2 bulls thats were 2x2 and they said that they wouldnt come out
Old 11-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: madmax83192

well the dow out there are pricks we called in a camp for having 2 bulls thats were 2x2 and they said that they wouldnt come out
That is hard to imagine. I guess there is nothing you can do then except refuse to associate with such sorry excuses for hunters.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

madmax------A 2x2 could be a legal bull. I thought the rule was a 4 point or a 5" brow tine. Plus there are several units---28 units, I think--that have no point restrictions. CB
Old 11-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

well the thing is your not allowed to hunt bull up there in 4th or late sesason but ya there has to be at least 4 poinnts on one side so it was a legal bull if they had a tag
Old 11-21-2006, 04:23 PM

I dont think that the antler being stuck in one of them is enough punishment. Id report them in a heart beat.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

has to be at least 4 poinnts on one side so it was a legal bull if they had a tag
The restriction reads something like this: "4 points OR a brow tine that measures at least 5". This restriction is the same no matter which unit you're hunting that has a restriction. SO, a 3x3 could be legal, as long as the brow tines are at least 5" long.

I find it very hard to beleive that the CDOW won't come and investigate such blantant slob hunting, UNLESS they had other, more important cases that they were working on and were simply short handed at the time! I'd still turn them in, take down their license plate numbers and any other info. I could get. The CDOW might be too busy at the time, BUT they can still investigate at a later date!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 AM

Well i just returned form that area this week and it was a deal. First off you can shoot bulls 4th season, but must have at least 4 points on one side. One thing i will say that the DOW is understaffed and undermanned!!!! I acutally feel sorry for the wardens and rangers that have to patrol that area!!! I have never seen so many STUPID hunters in my life. For some reason people out there think elk hunting is done from a vehicle on the road!!! People can't tell cows form spikes, spikes from bulls, it was mind blowing. I seen 6 wardens all giving out tickets at one point, a couple were halling away spikes that were shot mistakenly. There were a lot of elk out there though. We ended up filling 3 of 4 permits, luckily!!