Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Losing my desire to hunt

Old 11-12-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Losing my desire to hunt

I live in the rockies and moved here to basically hunt. Starting last year, I just didn't really have the desire. This year if it were not for Montana Bob I probably wouldn't have even gone. I could care less about shooting a big buck, and plan on whacking a WT doe with my ES tag just for meat. I have zero desire to hunt elk as I find the effort more then the reward. I don't really know whats going on as I have hunted since I was chasing sparrows with my BB gun. This weekend I pretty much just stayed home even though elk season is in full swing. I just can't get interested and I have been thinking about a different hobby. With all the closures and limited access, hunting competition, focus on trophies, and leasing comming here to Montana, I am thinking of just hanging it all up. I am not having fun anymore, it's time to put away the hunting gear and find a new sport. I went antelope hunting and encountered bad weather. After the storm cleared I got within range of a decent buck, but the long drag back to the 4 wheeler deemed the shot impractacle. Five years ago I would have been thrilled, and the drag not even considered. I would rather be unsuccessful in solitude, than shoot a trophy in high pressure. I didn't come to Montana to run into hunters around every corner.[&o] The desire is just gone, and I don't even know what to do with myself.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Losing my desire to hunt

ORIGINAL: muley69

I live in the rockies and moved here to basically hunt. Starting last year, I just didn't really have the desire. This year if it were not for Montana Bob I probably wouldn't have even gone. I could care less about shooting a big buck, and plan on whacking a WT doe with my ES tag just for meat. I have zero desire to hunt elk as I find the effort more then the reward. I don't really know whats going on as I have hunted since I was chasing sparrows with my BB gun. This weekend I pretty much just stayed home even though elk season is in full swing. I just can't get interested and I have been thinking about a different hobby. With all the closures and limited access, hunting competition, focus on trophies, and leasing comming here to Montana, I am thinking of just hanging it all up. I am not having fun anymore, it's time to put away the hunting gear and find a new sport. I went antelope hunting and encountered bad weather. After the storm cleared I got within range of a decent buck, but the long drag back to the 4 wheeler deemed the shot impractacle. Five years ago I would have been thrilled, and the drag not even considered. I would rather be unsuccessful in solitude, than shoot a trophy in high pressure. I didn't come to Montana to run into hunters around every corner.[&o] The desire is just gone, and I don't even know what to do with myself.
I've been feeling much the same way. I hunt for work and by the time hunting season rolls around I don't really want to face the people, especially the ignorant redneck slob hunters. So, I sequester myself on the edges of the wilderness where there are very few people, and few elk, and the pack is more than most people can handle.

Then when you think about the thousands of dollars you've spent, and the hours of work for about $250 worth of meat. When you could just buy a half a beef for $300 cut and wrapped. I guess since I've already shot two bulls over 320, I've maybe lost a little fire.

I don't know, I still love to go but even though I'm young I already know that "things aren't how they used to be".

I'm lucky though I can do it at work....which is fun.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Don't feel bad it happens. It seems like the older you get (not calling you old as I don't know your age) the less desire you have to hunt. I know guys that are in there late 60's-70's now that 20 years ago wouldout hunt me in my best year! They just sold most of there stuff and said goodbye. I see you mentioned you said"hobby" well alot of us don't really condider it a hobby but more of a lifestyle. As far as you having alot of hunters to compete with I can totally understand your point but you should try living out East!. Maybe you should just try doing a few hunts each year and really make them count. Also, alot of usofcourse like to harvest game but I hope that wasn't the only reason you were out there? You can stillabsorb and experience the outdoors without hunting. What about the challenge? What about the exercise? As far as the drag thing goes that is alwaysthe best part! You killed itnow its up toyou to take it back to the truck C-H-A-L-L-A-N-G-E! What about the delicious meat (and potatoes of course)Trysome of these things, be ahunting mentor to a child (GIVE BACK WHAT WAS GIVEN TO YOU), buy a camera, get a video camera and film your friends hunting or justgo with the group for the comraderie. I am glad I don't live out West because I would have surely gotten spoiled with all the species to hunt. Oh by the way, did you have any secret spots or leases you want to give up?

What ever you do good luck
Old 11-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

I've been through the same curve, but in different circumstances, as I'm at the other end of the world. We have a lot of hunting here, but once I secured good trophies and had a crack at most hunting options, I started to feel less challenged. Then it was photography. Now I'm more interested in introducing others to the sport.
For my own hunting challenges I travel overseas. Think about doing this, It can be expensive, but there's a lot of hunting options out in the world. Have had great hunting trips to Spain, Alaska, Australia and have one coming up in Utah. I guess Africa will be on the list soon too.
These hunts are what keep me enthused.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:37 PM

It's all a matter of perception.
For me, hunting is more about persuing the animal,
not possessing it.

It's smelling the pine. Watching the sun riseand set. Reminding myself, as I marvel at the all of nature, just how insignificantme and my problems are. Being in the mountains is almost a religious experience and the primary reason I hunt. Camp. Fish. 4 wheel. etc.

I bet you'll feel different after a strong case of cabin fever!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

It's all a matter of perception.
For me, hunting is more about persuing the animal,
not possessing it.

It's smelling the pine. Watching the sun riseand set. Reminding myself, as I marvel at the all of nature, just how insignificantme and my problems are. Being in the mountains is almost a religious experience and the primary reason I hunt.
I feel the same way. Sometimes I don't even want to pull the trigger. Sometimes I think I've maybe killed too much.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:34 PM

I can relate directly to what you are saying. I spent 31 years living breathing ,sleeping, hunting. Every dime of extra money I had went toward hunting equipment, I worked every summer straight through while others did the "beach thing" just so I could take the month of November off. I noticed 2-3 years ago the desire wasn't quite what it used to be. I guess the defining moment for me was when I found myself constantly looking at my watch while on stand! I knew then it had become an effort to go do what I had always enjoyed.
Nevertheless I have diversified and went on a couple of spring bear hunts, and they have been a blast! I have a four year old, and I keep telling myself I'm just gonna take a "timeout", and when he gets just a little older maybe I'll get the spark rekindled. If he shows any interest, I have no doubt I will "come back to life". Besides not enough youngsters are given the chance to ever experience what great outdoors and hunting has to offer!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Well I made it to Alaska in one piece. I was getting a little bummed out myself about the hunting in and around the Bitteroot.
Well now I have a whole different state and different animals to hunt and the fishing is not bad from what I here.
Mulie get the heck out of Montana and come join me in Alaska
Montanafornia has changed and will never be the same.
The outside inflences are happening here to but the country is so vast you can avoid some of it.
I will be selling my over valued house and land in the next few years as I work here in AK and will retire here.
This is bar none some of the most scenic country I have ever scene and can spend my entire life here and never see it all.
So much to do herewith so little time left in life.
Mulie you are young enough to pack up and head out. There is plenty of work here and you should have no problem continuing your business up here.
Anyway have to go and get ready for the newproject Monday, I will shoot you an email ina few days and can send you info on this state as I gather as much as I can for myself.
Head over to the house and kick the kids butts out of the living room Monday night and watch football.
Montana Bob in AK
Old 11-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is that you are not interested in more than just hunting. Do you still enjoy the other things in life that you used to? Could be the big "D": depression. If so, don't let it just hang there, talk to a professional about it. I am as macho as the next guy, but because my brother is a counsler, I have had the opportunity to get some good advice and counseling several times in my life (not by him, just at his recommendation) and I have to say that it made a big difference.

If that is not it, then you may just want to quit for the time being and see if the fire comes back. Or, as suggested above, try something new or take a kid hunting. Today, I get more out of taking a kid hunting than I do hunting myself. This fall, we are having our second annual Father/daughter hunting weekend. Not all the daughters hunt, but they still have a blast. Going to have 7 dads and 9 daughters.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

I feel the same way as most of you. I've done my share of harvesting animals. The thrill of the hunt is still in me but at the point of kill I just don't have it anymore for most animals. But I'm not going to sit here and rot. If the bear, moose, caribou, etc. is big enough I will pull the trigger. My biggest thrill right now is watching my friends and guests get their animals and helping them get them out. I think hunting should be taught to younger people and if they enjoy doing it they should be helped along with it. I have lots of younger people here on their first hunt, no matter what it's for, and I think they deserve all the experience and knowledge I have to give them which I very much enjoy doing.

Quick Reply: Losing my desire to hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.