Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Losing my desire to hunt

Old 11-21-2006, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Losing my desire to hunt

Muley69,

I totally understand where you're coming from, same thing happened to me about 3 years ago, I just turned 58 this month. My brother is 4 years older than me and he too, has lost the desire. Just today we was talking and he said that he was going to start hunting again. I think in his case, he lost his wife this past August because of a long term illness, he's retired and has a lot of time on his hands now. Just like you I grew up from a bb gun to firearms. I've hunted it all here in GA. I can go on and on repeating everything you said and I can't explain it. I don't know what brought me back to the deer hunting, but this past summer I had heart surgery and will be out of work, probably until March 2007. May be the time I have on my hands, but I got back to deer hunting this gun season for deer. I only have one deer stand I'm able to get in to and have seen several deer, bucks and does and let them all walk. Just didn't have the desire to kill one, but enjoyed watching them.

Now to counter my point, even though I lost interest in deer hunting, I really fell back in love with duck and turkey hunting, which was almost lost with the deer. I had a chance to go to Montana with a couple of buddies that go out there quail hunting, and that was nixed with my surgery. I could have cared less about hunting the birds, but was really looking forward to going out there with two lifetime friends and seeing some new country.

I even got back into squirrel hunting this year, mainly because I wasn't allowed to shoot a high power rifle. I got out an old 22 rifle I hadn't shot in 20 or 30 years and was able to harvest some squirrels, which I eat. The Doctor has just recently allowed me to shoot a deer rifle or shotgun, so that's allowed me to do the deer hunting.

I'm not sure what's turning me around, maybe because of my limitations or because of going back to hunting things I hunted from my youth, but it's turning for me, and I'm glad to get it back. Maybe trying hunting for something you hunted years ago and gave up for big game could be what you need.

I do hope you can get the desire back and wish the best for you.

dog1

Old 11-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

We're on the same page. I enjoy all the off season planting, stand maintenance, and property work almost as much as I do the actual hunting. It keeps the anticipation there and I'm still in the woods where I prefer to be.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALK ABOUT! lol i am dissapointed in all of you [:@]
Old 11-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

fine stop hunting more for me!jk dont give it up!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Man, I feel really bad for you. I guess I feel your pain alittle, having read through all your posts on this thread. I feel doubly bad 'cause I think I may have contributed to your malaise just a little bit earlier this year during bow season. I had a relatively (I must stress relatively) unsatisfying elk hunt this year, and I vented a little with you all on here in September.

We all filter things like this through our personal experience, and mine is almost the opposite of the usual pattern. I hunted, with almost zero success, as a teenager, then quit hunting for a ten year spell in my 20s and early 30s. During that time, I still backpacked, especially in September when the elk were bugling. I just never got much joy out of hunting as a kid. Our family situation bred such a competitive, negative mindset that it was tough to enjoy. I went hunting basically wondering how I was going to fail on this day.

I came back to hunting in my early 30s, eight years ago, and man what a revelation! I hunt now for the sheer joy of being out there, for meat, and for trophies if I get that lucky.

I think that the key lies somewhere in the realm of expectations. I don't think you can continue any pursuit indefinitely with a large disconnect between expectations and results. You sound like your expectations are for solitude, and obviously, the B-root ain't providing much of that these days. Basically, I think the more you can just go out there and exist, take it for what it is without trying to force the experience into some cookie-cutter mold, then you can take joy out of being out there. Let it be what it will be.

I'm just blathering on, trying to encourage you to work it out on whatever terms you can to keep that love alive. I think the tradition is important to maintain in this artificial world we live in now.

I really feel for you and wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just an update:

I rattled in a couple of bucks last week and shot a 4x4. He died in less than a min and it was all good for me. I had a great time and it really lit the fire for me again. I went with my buddy several times after I tagged out.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:53 PM

I have thought a great deal on this, and I believe it is other people. My wife and I discussed at lenth on Sunday, when I didn't even go out on the last day of season. I shot a buck and doe WT so I have meat, and Montana Bob gave me a ton of elk meat. My disconnect with hunting I don't believe is with hunting itself, it's with the inability to get away from other hunters, and see spots you once had for yourself, get over run with others. Opening day around here is madness, 4 wheelers and 4x4 speeding up and down the road. Nothing is more frustrating then getting up at 3 am, driving an hour, unloading the 4 wheeler, riding in the dark and cold another 10 miles, then hiking up a ridge 4 miles in the dark only to see other hunters humping up the mountain with flashlights, 4 wheelers etc. I will no longer hunt the bitterroot, I am done here. I am currently planning a series on hunt combos in different areas. I will go up to Plains, MTon a bear/elk september combo hunt for a week, out to Wolf Point, MT on a fishing/bird/antelope hunt for another week next October. Rifle season will find me down in Ennis, MT, and hopefully, I will get up to Alaska to do some hunting with Montana Bob. I also am going to get into duck/goose next year. I am going to plan ahead and vary the locations and species. If that doesn't get my motor running, then I'm done hunting for however long it takes to get the fire back.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

Alot of good perspectives out here and I think that everyone goes thru certain hunting stages during our lives. I do know what you mean about it being discouraging though with the amount of people crowding the public areas and landownership/leasing taking more and more as well. Things like that can make a person say "I've had enough".

As I've gotten olderit has taken a little more work to stay in shape in order to be able to do the western hunts but it's all worth it to me. Everything seems to ache alot more after climbing mountains all day long andmy flexibilityain't what it once was. I still would love to find a big muley and big bull but if I don't I'll still have one heckuva good time trying. It's more about the whole experience for me of planning the trip, scouring the topo software, marking waypoints, printing maps, learning a new area or one that I've hunted previously, driving from state to state meeting people along the way, setting up camp, and the anticipation that comes with the hunt. I have no control over who else will be there or over the actions of some slob hunters so I work on controlling what I can such as my preparation and perception int the field. I seem to take more time these days to stop and take pictures along the way and breathe deep and look at the spectacular scenery. It's all good. I did get a little burned out this year on the deer hunting so I switched back to pheasant mode and hunting solo with my dog is just a blast. Watching him is just something I can't explain in words.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can see how a hunting burnout and loss of desire to hunt can happen. One thing that seems to help me, is to find a different aspect of the hunt... Something different. Like many of the ideas in previous posts mentioned, take a beginner hunting, or hunt new areas, or new species.

I love to Whitetail Deer hunt in my home, and hunt the same areas time and time again. But I need variety. I can't hunt the same spot day after day, as I can get bored as well. One thing I do every year is to hunt Public Land in a different part of my homestate. My chances of harvest aren't nearly as good as my private land, but I enjoy it more. It's different scenery and different type of hunting.

Plan a small hunting trip to a different state, use a different weapon, or go hunt something different, like Wild Hogs. Find a relaxing type of hunt where it's not a ton or work, but there's plenty to enjoy.

Another thing is to take advantages of the non-hunting items which are around the area you are hunting. The last few distance hunting trips I've made, I've scheduled an extra day or 2 to do some sight seeing, go to Museums, visit different tourists attractions along the way, etc. Just something to add to the hunting trip, which make it feel more like a vacation, instead of just hunting. If i'm going to use most of my vacation time for a hunting trip, then I want to have a little "vacation" at the same time.

Hope this can help.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

One more suggestion. Even though we would miss you, you might just try and quit going to any hunting websites in the off season for awhile. It is another way todays society provides an overstimulation in the hunting area. Just don't visit any websites for awhile, and see what happens.