Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help. >

Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help.

Some people dream of heading off to the wilds of Alaska and it's happened to me. Many of you have seen my posts here about living and huntingin Montana.
There just is not enough work in my field left in the lower 48 to own and pay fora big house in this state.
The only consistant work left for what I do ( Upgrade Cable TV Systems ) is in Alaska.
I am heading out next week to arrive in Anchorage for a few months and then various other townsacross the state to upgrade their cable systems.In total should be there for 2 years coming home every couple of months to make sure the kids haven't turned the house into one of ill reput.
I do have a sister in-law in Anchorage who is already promised some fishing through friends when I arrive and will be staying at her place for a bit.
From going over your ADF&G site seems the general hunting is winding down.
I will most likely become a resident there as I am a contractor here who must be completely registered ( License Plates, State Contractors License and so forth).Most likely will be renting an apt along the way.
Would like to start out with some Spring Black Bear and from there don't really know. I know there is a lot of draws in the state as well as game units all of which are a mystery me.
During my 2 year stint I am interested in Caribou, Over 6' Black Bear, Brown or Grizz,Wolf, Maybe a Moose, but already have a Canadian.
I am married and will be making the occasional booty call flight to visit my wife who took an 100 hour a week job with Halliburton in Utah.
The rest of my time on the weekend will be spent hunting and fishing and I guess looking for the good places to do such.
Will be leaving the ATV at home but will bring the rest of my tons of hunting gear fromhome.I am shipping the 338 Rum up as I think it will be a great all around firearm.
So if there is any of you Alaska folks looking for an old (45)outdoor partner to show around it would be greatly appriciated. I know it's a big state and I will be around Anchorage, Wasilla and Palmer for at least a year. I will be only working 5 days a week so most every weekend will be out trying to catch or kill sumptin.
Thanks
Montana Bob
Oh one other thing I need to be fairly successfull as I need to pay off Muley69 with some meat of some sort to keep coming by the house to check that the kids aren't turning it into a Bunny Ranch.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Default RE: Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help.

MontanaBob,

Absolutely outstanding! Especially since the trip comes with a paycheck! Watch out for the "not-enough-light-depression" thing. IMHO, you are visiting one of the two major "promised hunting lands"; hopefully after one year you will qualify as resident. Make friends with some aircraft owners and boat owners (sea and river) when you getup there (as cars/trucks don't count for much)and then just get right after it. I've heard the hunting regs up are complex, be careful.

Cool,
EKM
Old 11-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well MT Bob,
Wish you and your family all the luck and I'm very envious.I would make the same move but there don't seem to be much need for Grain merchendiser in Alaska.LOL
If you have a sister up there you already qulify for cheaper licenses,and by next yearI bet thet .338 RUM will be warming up for some costal Brown bear,witha dash of Moose and a springkle of Caribiou.
Well as for the kids those pesky Gps montoring systems might be the ticket.You know the one they use for house arrest.LOL
Good luck and God Bless on your fourth coming Journey.
BBJ
Old 11-03-2006, 05:33 PM

Montana Bob, I have grave concerns about your ATV, hunting equipment, and in particular, that outlandishly large big screen plasma TV. I feel it only prudent to immediantly bring those items to my home in order that they be properly safe guarded. [8D]
I just want to say that I came home to a cooler full of delecious elk steaks, sausage, salmi etc left here by Montana Bob, he is a stand up guy. However, upon seeing the meat he left, my wife pondered why it is I can't ever bring home any meat on my own.[:@] PFFTTTT! Women. I choose to maximize my hunting season by hunting, not shooting anything has nothing to do with my skill level, rather just my desire to be afield.
Thanks MTBOB!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome decision there Bob. If you need someone to come up and "help out", let me know, I'm flexible. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley 69, Are we all still on for watching the superbowl on Bobs big screen at your house? If I remember right, you said that all the elk meat was already taken care of. See if he may have left any beer in the fridge while you are there.

Good luck to ya Bob!!!!! Make sure you stay on here so we can see some pics and find out how you are making out!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Well -20 C in Northern BC. My advice ifyour driving, grap a Serious sat radio. Long pullls of no radio on Alaska HW. Watch your fuel this time of year. Not many gas spots open after 8 PM and many summer stations closed months ago. Yukon gas cheaper than BC, so fill up at Rancheria Yukon, Contact Creek or Iron Creek Yukon. Gas about a buck Canadian in Whitehorse.
Once you hit Dawson Creek BC (mile zero on the Alcan) start keepin your eyes peeled for wildlife cause the next 500 miles (till you hit the Yukon ) is like driving through a zoo. Don't want to hit any animals and a moose impact could kill you. North of Ft St John there are 1000's of elk and you should see plenty. The deer are ruttin now and there are some tremendouse mulie bucks all along the highway. Whitetails roam all the way to the Yukon border and beyond.
Stone sheep and caribou are a real hazard north of Ft Nelson, especially Stone Mtn and Muncho lakes. And finally, watch out for bison all over the road near Liard Hot Springs. Make sure you stop for a dip. Especially fun at 40 below.
Good Luck
Old 11-04-2006, 11:23 AM

You can PM me. I am in Anchorage. Always good to have another hunting partner up here.

By the way, it is 3 degrees in Anchorage today
Old 11-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

AlaskaMagnum,
Thanks will do. It will take a week or so to get settled planning on being in on the 12th.
Tangozulu,
Thanks for the info I am all weathered up down to -70. Me and my truck are used to working and travling in the winter.
I have my plan down somewhat and am just making some last minute prep.
1st day Darby, MT to Edmonton, 2nd day Edmonton to Fort Nelson or there abouts, 3rd day make it to Whitehorse, and 4th on into Anchorage.
I am still in the last bit of planning.
I travel alot and have over 50000 Trip rewards and plan on staying in Super 8 Motels along the way which will be free.Still looking for their locations through out Canada, but also want to put in at least 650 Miles a day. Mapquest shows the 2652 miles will take about 48 hours.Need to get bad weather plan B into effect also.
I have traveled the Plains States in the dead of winter sometimes down to -75 and blizzard conditions. Got all the safety stuff and will be carrying an extra 50 Gal of treated Diesel and throwing on the studs.
Few dozen CD's, Thermos of Joe, Cruise control and go.
I'll get some photo's along the way of the wildlife and post.
Thanks again all.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:10 PM

Good luck on your ventures! Be safe and post often!

Quick Reply: Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.