Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help. >

Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help.

ORIGINAL: tangozulu
Once you hit Dawson Creek BC (mile zero on the Alcan) start keepin your eyes peeled for wildlife cause the next 500 miles (till you hit the Yukon ) is like driving through a zoo. Don't want to hit any animals and a moose impact could kill you. North of Ft St John there are 1000's of elk and you should see plenty. The deer are ruttin now and there are some tremendouse mulie bucks all along the highway. Whitetails roam all the way to the Yukon border and beyond.
Stone sheep and caribou are a real hazard north of Ft Nelson, especially Stone Mtn and Muncho lakes. And finally, watch out for bison all over the road near Liard Hot Springs. Make sure you stop for a dip. Especially fun at 40 below.
Good Luck
Tango,
you should warn people before posting paragraphs like the one above....I'm starting to slobber on myself just reading that and wishin' I was drivin up there as well
Old 11-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

The Union Hotel on 8th is a good clean cheap place to stay if you dont mind the drunks and scofflaws( lotsa people hidin out from variuous things in AK ). Granny Smith is 90 yrs old now I think and probably still runs the place pretty good, when she aint napping. Don't get run over crossing the streets, Anchoragians have only one speed between stop lights...flat out. And be careful to of the dui'ers, lotsa drunks in a very pretty place. Take warm clothes and plug your truck in at night.

Its hard working away from family, if you fail and return in 3 or 6 months( as I did ) dont hang your head. Just be glad you made it back to the 'outside'.

And good luck to you and your family.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

MB, I do ALOT of traveling for hunting and shooting, I like to listen to CD books. If you can find the lewis and clark trail book, that will help eat up 8 hours. Time goes pretty quick, but watch out, I get so engrosed in the stories, I have a tendency to pass gas stations. Make sure you still write us!!!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Hillbillyhunter................
Well then maybe Montana Bob could use some company. If I had a bit of time off right now, I wouldn't mind looking for a big Mulie myself.
By the way, couldn't aggree more on the canned hunting statement.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Montana Bob,

Welcome to the last frontier. You'll find out pretty quick that you aren't the first person to make the transition from the Big Sky State to the Big State. A lot of people have come here from Montana...including myself. Have you been to Anchorage before? It's one of those places that people either love or hate. I was of the latter impression. I couldn't move out of there fast enough. Too many people, too much noise, and not enough real Alaska for my taste. I live in Fairbanks now and love it. We have all the real amenities of Anchorage with a lot fewer people and hunting opportunities truly out the back door.

If you're only moving here for a couple of years you'll technically never be a resident. One of the requirements of residency here is that you plan to remain indefinitely. I'd be surprised if the state ever pursues that, but just want you to know that's what the rules state. Having a sister here means that she could accompany you in the field on sheep, goat, or griz hunts and you can forgo the guide requirements, but you don't get licenses any cheaper like someone posted earlier.

Some other great sources of info include the Pristine Ventures forum and the Alaska Outdoors Directory.

Alaska can be a seriously frustrating place to live and hunt, but there are some incredible rewards in it if you're willing to pay your dues. Shoot me an email if you ever make it up to Fairbanks and I can help point you around, or if you just have any questions give me a shout. [email protected]

Good luck with the big move.

AK Jeff
Old 11-12-2006, 08:19 PM
DM

Keep in mind, you can NOT buy a Alaskan "resident" hunting or fishing license untill you've spent one full year in Alaska. And, yes they do check folks to see if they are lieing.

DM
Old 11-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Good Luck with yer big move MB, ya lucky dog!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: AK Jeff

Montana Bob,

Welcome to the last frontier. You'll find out pretty quick that you aren't the first person to make the transition from the Big Sky State to the Big State. A lot of people have come here from Montana...including myself. Have you been to Anchorage before? It's one of those places that people either love or hate. I was of the latter impression. I couldn't move out of there fast enough. Too many people, too much noise, and not enough real Alaska for my taste. I live in Fairbanks now and love it. We have all the real amenities of Anchorage with a lot fewer people and hunting opportunities truly out the back door.

If you're only moving here for a couple of years you'll technically never be a resident. One of the requirements of residency here is that you plan to remain indefinitely. I'd be surprised if the state ever pursues that, but just want you to know that's what the rules state. Having a sister here means that she could accompany you in the field on sheep, goat, or griz hunts and you can forgo the guide requirements, but you don't get licenses any cheaper like someone posted earlier.

Some other great sources of info include the Pristine Ventures forum and the Alaska Outdoors Directory.

Alaska can be a seriously frustrating place to live and hunt, but there are some incredible rewards in it if you're willing to pay your dues. Shoot me an email if you ever make it up to Fairbanks and I can help point you around, or if you just have any questions give me a shout. [email protected]

Good luck with the big move.
AK Jeff
Yah I understand the residency thing and will be getting non res tags. Like I said in a previous post I do plan on moving up here permenently, but intill I do will be getting the proper tags.
Been here a couple days now and the people here are great. My sister in-law has been here since 70 in Anchorage and say's things here and in the ( Valley) have changed greatly.
I will be exploring as much of Alaska as I can so that I can decide what community here suits me as this will be the last place I intend to ever buy.
I am working in Anchorage and moving East to Eagle River, Chugiak and so forth upgrading the Cable systems for GCI and will get a good look at the stuff around here.
Riding the ATV or snow machine down main street, hunting the outskirts out of town, the rural community lifestyle that does not seem to be going to change radically in the future as Anchorage has. Really looking for the friendly slow paced rural lifestyle and don't think I will find it around Anchorage, but will have alot of fun checking everything out.
Thanks much for the input as it is appriciated and as soon as I get some free time might take you up on a tour of the Fairbanks area when I get a free weekend.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Glad to hear you're enjoying your time up here Bob. You're absolutely right about not finding much atall as far as the rural lifestyle around Anchorage. That's the primary reason why I packed up and moved to Fairbanks and have loved it ever since. Up here I can sleep in my own bed, and by first light I can be in an any bull moose area hunting so close to home that I can go home for lunch and be back again with plenty of time to hunt in the evening. That's exactly what I did last year and shot a spike/fork bull on the evening of opening day. This year I shot a 40" bull on the morning of the second day and decided to go home for breakfast so I'd be well energized before packing him out. That just doesn't happen around Anchorage...at least not legally. Don't be scared off by people that think it's colder than hell up here either. It's not warm in the winter time but it's honestly no worse than a Montana winter...it's just got lower air temperatures with no wind chill whatsoever. I'd take Fairbanks cold over Anchorage traffic any day of the week. Throw the new Sportsman's Warehouse in the mix and "Squarebanks" isn't a half bad place to hang your hat. I don't mean to sound like a salesman I just want you to get the whole story before those Los Anchorageites get their hooks too deep into you.

Good luck,

AK Jeff
Old 11-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

I'll be checking all the more rural area's out but, being married gotta please the other half and am surprised that she said shewould enjoy living here.
I will be heading up to Fairbanks to check it out after awhile.
My grandfather was a Sheriff there back in the 60's I think and hastold me stories of the great hunting and fishingwhen I was growing up, so it's definitly on my list of places to check out.
Anyway am busy here every evening reading Larry Barletts Caribou Hunting, A guide to Alaska"s herds to try and give me an idea for next year. It's kind of rough though not knowing the terrain and the Alaska Gazzeteer is really no help at this point, but this is the kind of stuff I like to do with the research and all. You know us hunters and gathers, trying to gather as much info as I can, since I can't hunt yet.

Quick Reply: Montana Bob Off 2 Alaska 4 2 Years Little Help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.