Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wearin' orange in rifle season?! >

Wearin' orange in rifle season?!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wearin' orange in rifle season?!

Old 10-31-2006, 10:02 AM

Default RE: Wearin' orange in rifle season?!

As Skeeter said Hunter Orange is not required in Alberta at all except for in a small area that people sometimes get the privelage to hunt (Camp Wainwright)
but its all draw in that area. But everywhere else in alberta there is no hunter orange required.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Orange is not required in Nevada, and we have about 1 hunting accident every two years.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

90% of hunting shows occur on privately owned and operated hunting ranches...i.e. deer are property and managed herds, and I know in some instances, you don't have to buy a tag or hunting license to hunt them since they are deemed to be commodity livestock as opposed to wild game...in that case, you could throw the state hunting regs out the window.

I always think its interesting that so many of these hunting shows occur inside box blinds, AND the hunters are still wearing camo!! I guess that's so I blend in with the brown wall and the camera man behind me in the event a deer sees me through the window!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: KonaBoy

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I actually find the requirement of colours here to be bit bogus. An outer wear of solid white makeslittle senseto visibility in a land that usually has snow when rifle seasons are on!
See, I never could understand that. Seems like some days that would hide you better than the fanciset new camo
Kona, you got it!!DNR figurethe coloured cap of red, orange or yellow is suppose to make it obvious the snowman is in fact a hunter.

The stats on accidents really don't paint a picture that colours help. More often then not it is stupidity that causes the accident in the first place. For example not unloading the firearm, unsafemuzzle control and not seeing beyond your target. I had one very close call 10 years ago.All I heard was a loud snap and then lost my hearing, Inever was in the army but told that this is a very near fatal hit as the bullet broke the sound barrier right next to my head. The guy who fired the bullet didn't see me standing directly behind the deer and I was in full clean suit of blaze orange at the time!!! The was the last time I ever did deer drives or hunted withthose I didn't know REALLY WELL.

I have heard a few stories over the years about partners swearing the other guy who were wearing other than white suits was in fact an animal. In such cases a beacon would probably not help as the eyes where mind screwed into thinking a hunter was actually game!

Pretty scary but defensivementalityis imperative no matter what your wearing to be truly safe.

BTW I wear white a lot when hunting deer with the rifle in Nov, as the majority of my hunting I never see another hunter outsideof the roads.A lot think hunting is best viewed from the cushions of their truck here,so they don't cause me any concern as I am well off any road or trial when walking or sitting. If Ihappen tobe hunting populated areas/game or heavy cover with snow I wear a blaze upper just to be safe and keep the Mrs happy.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:11 AM

Blaze orange is required in Minnesota during rifle and ML seasons no matter if you hunt private or public land. Without readily remembering exact amount, I believe you roughly are expected to have 2/3 of your person covered in blaze. During rifle opener its like watching a bunch of pumpkins everywhere!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Arizona doesn't require hunter Orange...
Old 11-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Serioushunter1

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Have to wear 500 sq. feet of orange in Tennessee.
WOW. 500Sq.feet! What if a person isn't that large? LOL!
Oh, you know, Southern weddings! The huge dresses!
The rednecks' wedding they give the bride an XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL dress, and all the bucks in the forest know that the bride isn't up for grabs anymore!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

500 sq. in. on the body and orange hat is required here in CO. for all rifle seasons and black powder seasons. No camo. orange is accepted. Funny thing is here, that black powder elk season over laps archery season and the guys carrying a BP have to wear orange and the archers, who are hunting at the same time, don't have to wear any!! These laws hold true on all private property hunts also!
And on edit, orange isn't required for hunters using rifle while hunting mountain goat. I haven't check out if orange is required while hunting big horn sheep!