Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Proper technique

Old 11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Proper technique

Pastor Steve,
I wanna say that was the most noble way of answering a post like that.Me for one would like to welcome you to Montana.If you ever get to my side of the state when you are a leagle resident I will take ya out and show you the ropes,heck even ask Hillbilly. I spent several cold November Mornings in a 3 season tent tring to get him a bull in the breaks a few years back,we never got the bull saw a few,packed out his nice mulie buck,tried to cut my finger off and made a good freind.
Here's a few guide lines in Montana
1.Never mention California(say anything but that)
2.Always ask permission even if you have know the guy for years
3.Close all gates or leave'em like you found'em
4.Park the quad and walk
5.Get out and get some scouting done
6.If the roads wet don't drive it
and the last one for all,when you crap in the woods remove your bow release befor wipe'n your arse.
Bareback Jack
Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM

BarebackJack,

First off, just wanted to say Thank you for the warm welcome. And I guarantee if I'm on that side of the state, I'll take you up on your invitation.

And I actually am a legal resident. My wife and kids and I moved here last December (I know, heck of a time to move a thousand miles). So I have a legal liscense and tags. Just looking for the deer/elk.

And thanks for all the tips...especially that last one..I actually laughed out loud at that one.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PastorSteve
Well let's see here.....I've never been stuck in the mountains....haven't scared any deer....never bugled an elk...I CERTAINLYwouldn't vote liberal, the fence on my property was already here, property values are going up everywhere, don't want to invade anyones spaces, never had a latte in my life, I hate traffic, never leased anything, don't care for sandals, the only bike I ride is my quad, don't know if you consider guns and ammo magazine art but if so...ok...and I'm not sure what to make out of the pita comment so I'll just leave that one alone.
Other than that...it's good to know you don't have a problem with me.
Ok my 2 cents.
I feel muley's frustration. So many before you Pastorsteve have come here to Montana because it is different and more laid back than where they come from.
Then it seems the first thing they do is try and change it to the exact place they came from.
I am a transplant been here 22 years. The changes I have seen are incredible and frustrating.When I moved here I fit in well with the natives and just sat and watched the changes before me.
People moving in on a 1 acre lot not an animal or tree in site, in the middle of nowhere,then painting every fence post bright orange. To me and others it just shines of ignorance.
9 out of 10 of the SUV's you see in the winter in the ditch have a nice CA plate or temp sticker in the window.
This people you see that come into Montana are like a prisoner let loose after serving 10 years, bull in a china shop thing. They take advantage of the laid back lifestyle here.Mostly it's the Kalifornians you see.
It used to piss me off till I realized there is nothing I can do and now look forward to having them come in and driving my home and property price to a ridiculously high value.
So pastorsteve welcome, change the plates on your ride and sit back, grab some popcorn and watch the sad picture show that has beenplaying for years.Don't forget your hanky as it is a crying shame.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Montana Bob

Ok my 2 cents.
I feel muley's frustration. So many before you Pastorsteve have come here to Montana because it is different and more laid back than where they come from.
Then it seems the first thing they do is try and change it to the exact place they came from.
I am a transplant been here 22 years. The changes I have seen are incredible and frustrating.When I moved here I fit in well with the natives and just sat and watched the changes before me.
People moving in on a 1 acre lot not an animal or tree in site, in the middle of nowhere,then painting every fence post bright orange. To me and others it just shines of ignorance.
9 out of 10 of the SUV's you see in the winter in the ditch have a nice CA plate or temp sticker in the window.
This people you see that come into Montana are like a prisoner let loose after serving 10 years, bull in a china shop thing. They take advantage of the laid back lifestyle here.Mostly it's the Kalifornians you see.
It used to piss me off till I realized there is nothing I can do and now look forward to having them come in and driving my home and property price to a ridiculously high value.
So pastorsteve welcome, change the plates on your ride and sit back, grab some popcorn and watch the sad picture show that has beenplaying for years.Don't forget your hanky as it is a crying shame.
Wow Bob...I hear you. And I'm sure sorry and saddned by the state of events that have transpired here. I know it's probably hard to believe but we kept a lot of those things in mind when we moved here.

We moved into a home that was already built (instead of buying up more land and building a new home when there were litterally hundreds of homes for sale). We didn't want to make a bigger foot print than we had to.

We completely support and have supported keeping the big boxes out of the valley at all costs.

Believe me when I tell you that I DO NOT want things like they were where I came from. We lived on the corner of a 5 lane road where there was traffic 24/7. My kids were home bodies primarily because they couldn't go out and play anywhere safely. Not a good environment at all.

We have been here for almost a year and have been saddened many times by watching the very thing you speak of. I know it is somewhat hypocritical for me to oppose the very thing I did in moving here, but again, it wouldn't bother me if they bought homes that were already here, fought to keep things the way they are as much as possible. It bothers me as well.

If there is anything I can do that I do not know about as far as either petitions, ballot initiatives or anything else, feel free to educate me, I would love to help.

Take care Bob.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pastor Steve,
Let's put all the political BS behind us.How has the hunting been?? Any Luck yet deer/elk and sightings??
I was born in Missoula many years ago,my dad is from that side of the state.Don't know any honey holes,but if you got snow then you can track.Elk this time of year are looking to migrate somewhere for food.So get a map and see if you have any game preserves near by(I don't think you do).The closest one I know of is probaly the Clear water WMA wich is a permit area I belive,but the surrounding area is Nat'l Forest.I used to hunt up behind a place called Cozy Korner over behind Seeley.There is elk in there and lots of mulie and white-tail check the regs for whats leagle and area's as time has changed.You also have the Lee Metcalfe WMA look it up and see if it's open to hunting.There is plenty of hunting up past Grantsdale.Look for long draniges with food,cover and water.Hunt north slope in the morrning and evening.On cold days glass the sunny side up to the tree line,it's not uncommon to catch a big mulie buck sunning him self with the does.The rut is comming and some area's shut down for Mulie bucks,but any place with water or thick cover holds white-tails.Find the does and you will find your bucks.
I know there are Forest service roads out there,get up early and drive them,follow the locals,get out and burn some shoe leather.If you cut any tracks get your nose out and follow,if they are elk follow till they start wavering back and forth keep you eyes peeled cause you are closing in.Elk like to get a little up on theur trail and look back.You can also set-up in saddles and ambush elk as the get pushed up from draniges.Go to sporting good stores,listen to someone bragging might get a idea where to look.Even make up a story just toget someone talking,ask the guys on the counter if they hunt.
Just some tips
BBJ
Old 11-03-2006, 12:11 PM

Hey Jack,

Well, so far we've seen a bunch of mulies but in the district we are hunting in right now they are special permit only so we are looking over the 06 regs and it appears that there are a few districts that allow for mulie bucks that we might go to. Quite a bit farther away but so what. And my Dad and I have walked mile after mile on back roads looking for sign or anthing else. Bob has pointed us in a direction as well we just haven't been in the right place at the right timeunfortunately.

Anyway, we are going to keep at it and do what we can to get something this season.

Thanks for the tips.