Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Proper technique

Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 PM

Default RE: Proper technique

Maps, get maps. You can buy them at the US Forest Service office. The BLM maps are good for the rest of the state. Find a few areas and study them.

You never said what part of Montana you live in.

Buy the Etrex GPS at WalMart. The lower price one will do fine and is easier to use.

Sight your rifle in and practice out to 300 yards. Get your bullet drop and tape it in your flip up caps with scotch tape. You can use this program to help you: http://www.realguns.com/miscinfo/join.htm

Get the best optics you can afford. This will help you identify your animal before you shoot.

The big elk herds are Yellowstone area, Bitterroot Valley, Lincoln, and Sun River River Valley. Most are on private land. A savvy hunter can skirt the property boundary, but do not break the rules, even for a lifetime dream elk. The fines are high.

Forsome reason the deer disappear during the rut week. The week before and after you see them everywhere. They are still there, just a mile or so from the road. Find them. The does will lead the sex starved bucks away and block your shot with their bodies.

Make a drag rope for retrieving game. Your wife's dishwasher gloves are great when gutting, field dressing your deer. Make sure you get the A-hole out. You will need a small saw for the pelvic bone and don't bust the bladder.

A small back pack with the new Camel-back type water systems are handy. I started eating the modern day MRE's while hunting. They are not bad and easy to carry.

Always carry lightweight things like a small tarp, fire starting stuff, candle, flashlight (a blue lens will help you track blood after dark), and whatever else will help you make it through a cold night lost in the woods. It has to be light or you will not carry it.

Always, always leave the area you are hunting in with someone at home and when they should think about calling for help. If you might go to multiple areas, list them all in order and do not deviate without telling someone.

And last, never tell anyone in Montana you are from California, especially if you are seeking permission to hunt on private land. Just trust me on this.

I hope this helps. MV out!

Old 10-31-2006, 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: MontanaVet

And last, never tell anyone in Montana you are from California,
Out of all of your advice, this is probably the best I have recieved!! LOL[8D]

I really stinks actually. You can't help where you were born, but my heart has been in Montana most of my life. I've hated Kalifornia ALL of my life. It's nice to be able to let my kids play outside without having to worry too much about them. My kids are thriving in school and are as happy as they have ever been. That, in and of itself, is worth everything to me.

Hopefully I won't be TOO hated being born where I was but it's one thing that I simply can't control. I would like to think I can still make some good friends and hunting buddies but I know my Dad is as good a one as any.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out and some very wonderful advice.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:01 AM

Oh yeah, and I'm located in the Bitterroot Valley as far as location goes.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:28 PM

I like the link to that site! Thanks.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: PastorSteve

Well thats just great, another Kalifornian comming to the 'root and crawling into the mountains to get stuck, scare deer, bugle elk, vote liberal, build fences, increase property values, invade spaces, drink latte, clog up the road, lease land, wear sandals, ride bikes, view art, and make a general PITA out of themselves.[:@]
Old 10-31-2006, 05:26 PM

See what I mean?At least you were smart enough to leave CA and move to the Bitterroot. It will be 20 years before you are partially accepted. MV out!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't let what muley says worry you. He's imported himself not from kook-land though

I like that signature line MontanaVet "............and when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the union"
Old 10-31-2006, 08:29 PM

Wear blaze orange and if you hunt from a stand wear a safety harness.

Sometimes it only takes one mistake!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: muley69

Well thats just great, another Kalifornian comming to the 'root and crawling into the mountains to get stuck, scare deer, bugle elk, vote liberal, build fences, increase property values, invade spaces, drink latte, clog up the road, lease land, wear sandals, ride bikes, view art, and make a general PITA out of themselves.[:@]
Well let's see here.....I've never been stuck in the mountains....haven't scared any deer....never bugled an elk...I CERTAINLYwouldn't vote liberal, the fence on my property was already here, property values are going up everywhere, don't want to invade anyones spaces, never had a latte in my life, I hate traffic, never leased anything, don't care for sandals, the only bike I ride is my quad, don't know if you consider guns and ammo magazine art but if so...ok...and I'm not sure what to make out of the pita comment so I'll just leave that one alone.

Other than that...it's good to know you don't have a problem with me.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: muley69

Well let's see here.....I've never been stuck in the mountains....haven't scared any deer....never bugled an elk...I CERTAINLYwouldn't vote liberal, the fence on my property was already here, property values are going up everywhere, don't want to invade anyones spaces, never had a latte in my life, I hate traffic, never leased anything, don't care for sandals, the only bike I ride is my quad, don't know if you consider guns and ammo magazine art but if so...ok...and I'm not sure what to make out of the pita comment so I'll just leave that one alone.

Other than that...it's good to know you don't have a problem with me.
Well hell pastor, your one of us, why didn't you just say so at the biginning so I didn't have to jump to conclusions. BTW, I am not an import, I wasn't raised here but I was born a Montanan, and I'll die a Montanan, no matter where I might be.

Quick Reply: Proper technique

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.