Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 First Bull........first pic.. >

First Bull........first pic..

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Bull........first pic..

Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default First Bull........first pic..

Working on more to follow..........

Old 10-23-2006, 02:45 PM

Default RE: First Bull........first pic..

Very nice!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:20 PM

Very, very nice.
Congrats!

You smack him with the 338 RUM?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, beauty bull
Old 10-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good bull RedRiver,glad to see a great hunt come to a GREAT end.
BBJ
Old 10-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Yup.....spit the 225gr accubond at him as mentioned on the other post, broke him down where he stood, though the shot was only 150 yards or so. I never had a nervous moment...until after the shot. I got sit down around 3p and at around 4:30 I started to wander 2 things.....1) was my arse going to make it on that pine root that was beginning to become part of my anatomy for another 2.5 hours and 2) was the sleet storm that was coming down going to get worse? At just that time I caught movement to my left across opening I was watching. Bull with several cows. I reached for my gun as I saw the cows and working my eyes backward located the Bull. I fired within no more than 5 seconds from the first sighting. I would have gladly taken one of the cows had he not been with them and never looked back. I didn't even flip open the scope covers on the Leupold (good thing they were the shoot through kind) which were covered in a little moisture from the sleet. Honestly, pretty sure I didn't have the old RUM against my shoulder when I touched her off either. Kick was like the kiss of baby......soft and smooth!!!
After the shot and his complete on the spot collapse.....I set the gun down as I was shaking like a sailor on his first shore leave in 12 months!!! Danced around the tree until I almost passed out, remembering we were at 12,000 feet of elevation! When a couple my buddies arrived later from down the valley, they were about 3/4 of a mile from me, one of them mentioned that when they heard the "boom" of my connection, one of them said "what the heck was that"? The other smiled and said "that was Jeff and he hit something pretty solid"!!!!

3 of our campers killed bulls and so we had a very successful year all in all.

I will post some of the pics from the other bulls too. All are trophies to us!!!

As a note about the .338RUM's.......
shooting at the range before we left for my favorite place on earth, we had finished our last session and had brought some items for shooting fun. We placed a gallon milk jug of water on the 300 yard target wall along with several cans of "grands biscuits". NOW be it known that we are just hunters that like to shoot, not marksman by any stretch of the imagination. But I exploded that just like a bomb on the first shot and two of my buddies explodedbiscuit cans on successive shots. Along with the smiles they couldn't erase, they too are smitten with the accuracy of the .338 RUM and appreciate the fact that my gun has taken two elk, neither of which has taken a step or more than one shot.
I and my group are big fans of the caliber.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:35 PM

And here I was, worried for a while that based on all that I was reading on this forum, that there was hardly a "magnum shooter" anywhere that could hit anything, yet looks like the evidence points to the contrary.

IMHO,
Accuracy+ Power Cartridges+ Competence= Optimal Performance

It is really not too much to strive for and acquire all three.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

way to go fellow!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 PM

Congrats! Where abouts? I guess even guys from texas get lucky once in a while[8D]
Old 10-24-2006, 01:11 PM

Congrats on the bull.

Quick Reply: First Bull........first pic..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.