Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

grizzly hunt on tv

Old 10-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default grizzly hunt on tv

Hey all last night i was watching to me a crazy or dumb s.o.b this guy is hunting bears with a bow and the bear starts to go away from him so he takes of running after it and ends up shooting it right in the head and drops it in its tracks at what i would say was maybe 10 yards now to me that is crazy what do you guys think i wish i could remember the name of the show it was on the mens channel ondish network
Old 10-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: grizzly hunt on tv

Maybe he didn't want it to get away? 10 yards? If you would have said 5 or he tried to jump on its back I would have called him crazy! Good thing he shot it in the head (giving it a concusion so it doesn't remember who you are) very smart hunter. LOL really though there was most likely 2 PH's standing behind him with packing458 Lott's os 500 nitro's. Personally I wouldn't do it but hey it makes for good TV right? The media (yes even hunting shows are pushing the limits) Next you will see someone come along and be the Vince Mcman of the hunting shows, fake scripts and all.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

that is true i guess but not up my ally especially with a bum leg i wouldnt stand a chance
Old 10-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

I saw that clip several years ago and this guy is just nuts. He has made some incredible shots on game with a bow.

On the bear hunt, they are in Alaska I beleive and they come across this bear that is in an open area but is heading foran alder thicket. The guy in question doesnt want the bear to escape them so he runs flat out probabaly 100 yards or so leaving behind the camera guys and his guide with the back up rifle.He gets real close to the bear and shoots it right between the eyes and it drops dead. After the aftermath the fella with the rifle said it would have been impossible to shoot the bear from where he was postitioned due to the hunter was between .

I have never seen nothing like that, I will say the guy has some guts.

On another note, this weeks Cablea's show has a grizzly bear charge on it. A sow had to be dispatched at only a few yards form the hunters. Like the guy said the bear was going to do bodily harm to one of them. It was all captured on video and was investigated by the Alaska DNR

I was a scary sitiuation.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:33 PM
DM

On another note, this weeks Cablea's show has a grizzly bear charge on it. A sow had to be dispatched at only a few yards form the hunters. Like the guy said the bear was going to do bodily harm to one of them. It was all captured on video and was investigated by the Alaska DNR I was a scary sitiuation.
I saw that show, and it upset me!!! I hunted browns many years, and i even took one not far from where that show was filmed!!

That bear NEVER had to die!!! (it was a brown bear, NOT a grizzly) AND, i guess you know that cub willNEVER survive without the sow!!!

1. The boar that was WOUNDED should have dropped in it's tracks! It was shot as 60 yards out in the open, a PERFECT SHOT!! There was NO excuse for that PI$$ poor shooting!! After two hits, the boar was standing on the hill watching everything that went on... Don't believe me????? The guide shot and killed the sow with one shot, (nearly in it's tracks) and the idiot couldn't get it done in two, and it still ran away!!!

On top of that, the SAMEidiot did extremely PI$$ poor shooting on the moose too!!! Too far back, then too low....

2. Had the boar been dropped right there, in MY experience the sow would have also stopped right there!! She would have shopped at the dead boar! This was a critical mistake!!! DO NOT RIB SHOOT BIG BEARS!!

3. How come a WARNING shot wasn'tfired in front of the sow, when the charge first started???? I believe it would have made a HUGE difference!!

4. How come the sow was chargeing with her ears up???? Every bear i saw charge like that did not have me identified as a human.... I'm NOT convinced it would have come up on the knoll ...

NO i was not there, but i've been in the same position and handled it differently!!! The guide should have took his rifle and smacked that idiot who started the whole thing in the side of the head!!

I'm NOT blameing the guide for everything that happened, i am blameing the shooter for getting it started!! I'm convinced the guide should have fired a warning shot, i know i would have!

BTW, how come the shooter never fired at the sow too???? Was he too busy $hitting his pants???? "If" they really believed the bear wasn't stopping he should have shot too!

OK, fire away, and tell me all about how wrong i am!!!!

DM
Old 10-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

What show was it?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:25 PM

DO NOT RIB SHOOT BIG BEARS!!
Sorry to drift off topic a bit...

I have never taken a shot at a brown or grizzly. Getting a big bear is one of my goals, though, so I am looking for good information on shot placement. Please correct me if I've gotten bad intel.

I was told the 1st shot on a big bear should be to break a shoulder. "You've got to take their wheels out," one hunter told me. Many people suggested a shoulder shot, to immobilize, and quickly follow it up with shot(s) to the vitals. Is this correct?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:44 PM
DM

Dan,

Takeing "a" shoulder out will only take one wheel out and they can and will go a long way on the other three.... You have to get both shoulders lined up and take them BOTH out! They will be anchored, but probable will need a finisher....

The best shot of all, is high in the shoulder just under the hump. Use a expanding bullet that WILL penetrate well, and it will take out the whole frontend!! AND because the bullet expands well, it will take out the spinal cord too.... This really puts the hurt on them!!! It's the shot the above guy SHOULD HAVE TAKEN!!!

Killing a bear is fairly easy, shoot it in the heart or lungs.... STOPPING a bear in it's tracks is what you want, and a heart/lung shot bear isn't stopped! Breaking one shoulder isn't either....

A bear hit in the top of the shoulders with a 30-06 loaded with 200 NP's will be STOPPED, right there! Shooting a bear with a 375 H&H or .458 in the lungs won't!

DM
Old 10-26-2006, 05:24 PM

Thanks, DM. Makes sense to me!
Old 10-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I will for sure have a big gun with me, not my bow. I like to carry a side arm as back up for crazy situations like these!

Quick Reply: grizzly hunt on tv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.