Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Any faith in odor eliminating/masking products? >

Any faith in odor eliminating/masking products?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Any faith in odor eliminating/masking products?

Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Any faith in odor eliminating/masking products?

I have used elk urine in the past, but my bottle is very old. It still smells the same to me but I fear "they" may balk at old pee.

Do any of the odor eliminating or masking products work? Are most of the products a scam?
I leave to hunt elk tomorrow and I want to mask my odor. What to use?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any faith in odor eliminating/masking products?

You actually soak yourself in elk urine!?!?!?!?!?! Yuck!!!![:'(]

I guess I learn something new every day. If you buy it from a sporting goods store than the most likely case is that it's mass-produced, and that means that they make that elk drink sooo much, that it's about to burst, and they probably give the thing sterroids in order to pee faster!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do I think it helps, sure. Put faith in it, not a chance
Old 10-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Believe it or not, I'm a big believer in baking soda. Yep, the stuff your mom used to make those yummy biscuits.

I use it in the wash, in the dryer, between layers in my scent safe travel bag, in my boots, to dustthe important partsafter I shower and to brush my teeth. I've had several deer directly down wind from me and they never knew I was there. as a matter of fact, the doe I shot monday was directly down wind and she was only concerned with scratching the itch on her butt, before I shot her. I must also add that I DO NOT wear my hunting clothes in my vehicle while driving to my hunting area. I change into them when I get there. I also wash my towel and washrag in baking soda and also the clothes I wear to get to my hunting area.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the HS Scent waffers in fresh earth.They make a good cover scent nomatter the terrain or season.
The best thing is to always play the wind.
BBJ
Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 PM

I am amazed that elk hunters don't go scentless. On a spot and stalk hunt you certainly have more opportunity to use the wind properly, but I have seen enough TV hunters get busted to know better than to hunt this animal without being as scent free as possible. The scent lok products do work as do the scent free soaps and shampoos. This is proven beyond any reasonable doubt in the lab and in the field. Cover scents may or may not work but animal urine stinks and I WOULDN'T WEAR IT ANYWHERE EXCEPT ON THE BOTTOM OF MY BOOTS.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't bother with scent lock or any other similarproducts.For over 30 years,using the wind to my advantage has worked well.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 PM

Baking soda is the best been useing this 1970 and it is one of the best cover scents you can buy
Old 10-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BBJ. I've killed alot of elk and I was wearing HS dirt wafers every single time. But I would consider hunting into the wind more important than the scent that I was wearing.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Rohdes,
I would be all for scent-lok,right after they get breathable enough to walk 7-8 miles in tough hiking conditions.Don't tell me scent lok-Sahvanna is the way to go,cause I've tried it.[:-]hot,hot,and sweaty[:-]
BBJ

Quick Reply: Any faith in odor eliminating/masking products?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.