Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wyoming non-res hunt elk in wilderness area >

Wyoming non-res hunt elk in wilderness area

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Wyoming non-res hunt elk in wilderness area

Old 09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wyoming non-res hunt elk in wilderness area

I see that non-residents are forbidden to hunt Wyoming wilderness areas without a guide. As a non-resident this provision rankles me considerably. What are the consequences of disregarding this provision and hunting a wilderness area unguided? How would the authorities get wise to a non-resident violating this provision? Is this something which is largely unenforced or is Wyoming serious about asserting this requirement?
Old 09-28-2006, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Wyoming non-res hunt elk in wilderness area

I agree with you that it is total BS. I'm not sure but I would guess that they will disallow your tag application unless you show proof that you have a "guide". I also think that a Wyoming resident can serve as your guide.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

But some units are part wilderness/part non-wilderness. For example, if I put in for Unit 45 -- part of which is in wilderness and part of which is NOT in wilderness, why would I be required to show proof of being hooked up with a guide? I also understand there is no such requirement if you want to go backpacking in a wilderness area. Someone ought to bring a class action lawsuit on behalf of non-resident hunters against Wyoming for this provision. Seems a transparent shill for the outfitters.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:43 PM

Oh lets not get lawyers involved if we can keep from it. Lets all write letters to Wyoming Game & Fish. We could also contact the SCI and ask them to tackle it. It certainly is peculiar.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think they do that becuase it costs alot to put out a S&R for someone that has been lost. Not that a resident would not get lost but a non res. unfamiliar with the area has a higher chance at getting lost.

May also be something to do with the Grizzly bears who knows. I lived in Wyoming for 18 years and now live in Nebraska. When I go back to hunt I do not worry about it, I go into the wilderness areas anyway. Whats the difference in not living there at the moment but hunting there all my life?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shatodavis: I'm not going to get the lawyers involved. I'm not going to do anything. I'm just idly bellyaching is all. My immediate plans for future elk hunting are directed to Colorado -- closer to my home in Texas and more elk. There is a lot of wilderness in Colorado that I can hunt and not have to hook up with a guide.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM

Al,

I was implying that you where going to get lawyers invlovedd.. But, I don't like it either. I would like to see it changed.

Wheatley,

I don't see how a hiker is any less likely to get lost or come into contact with grizzlies. If a hiker is allowed in the wilderness areas why not a non res hunter.

I just wish I was in the mountains chasing something right now. Good news is that its just a couple of weeks before I'll be antelope hunting. I know the plains aren't the same as the mountains but at least I'll be out from behind this damn desk.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

doesn,t alaska do the same thing?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

doesn,t alaska do the same thing?
No. Alaskan guide requirements are species-specific, not area-specific. You can hunt anywhere in Alaska without a guide. Nonresidents must have a guide to hunt grizzlies, Dall Sheep, and mountain goat. Moose, caribou, deer, elk, and birds do not require a guide.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Only for preditor species.

Quick Reply: Wyoming non-res hunt elk in wilderness area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.