Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Terrible elk season so far in Montana >

Terrible elk season so far in Montana

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Terrible elk season so far in Montana

Old 09-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Terrible elk season so far in Montana

My whole reply to this is. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?!? Our group of 4 has only one bull. It was the third week of the season and they are RUNNING from a cow call. I am getting into lots of sign, but they just don't want to play the game. I know some guys around are scoring here and there, from what I have heard, even one toad scoring something over 360 out of the south fork. But I am about to throw in the towel here.
I just feel bad for my friend who came clear from IA to hunt elk. I really wanted him to get a bull. He has got a couple screaming in his face that he will never forget(I love seeing that look on someone's face who has never been within bow range of a mature bull elk screaming right at you), saw a griz at 30 yards, a mountain goat, bucked a lot of brush. He drew on one bull, and I had another nice 6 coming on a string to us, but a fickle mountain breeze wrecked that. Can't say we didn't put in the ol college try. I just know what his tags costs him, wish he could have gone home with something more than memories.

Things are definitely not normal here. I have this slim hope that maybe with the weather we have had, that "magical" day when you could fart and have a bull come running in is still in the near future.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:53 PM

Well, I am encourage by some of the post in that I am not going crazy. Elk hunting has a way of making you second guess yourself, damn my calling isn't as good as I thought, or dang I misread this sign, or dang I am terrible at patterning this elk etc. On the other hand, peak rut time is running out quickly. I loaded my trailer and when up to the jobsite to start work this morning and they wern't ready, so looks like I may slip basck into the woods in the morn.[8D]
Old 09-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I been hunting deer but not elk. I usually hunt up by York. Thus far, same thing. I haven't seen one deer in areas where the previous years I have seen lots. I did track an elk but never did see him.Same story guys....just nothing.