HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   DIY archery hunt, Routt Nat. Forest CO? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/155960-diy-archery-hunt-routt-nat-forest-co.html)

Buckshot 09-12-2006 07:53 AM

DIY archery hunt, Routt Nat. Forest CO?

Myself and a group of guys are thinking about trying the Routt N.F for an archery elk hunt next year. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Elk density, hunter density? We're thinking about taking my buddys motor home and trailing a 4x4 pickup. Are there campsites along the road? Were going to bring some lite tents so we can spike camp back in if need be, any and all info would be much appreciated. A few of us have hunted elk before, myself the selway and another over by McCall ID.

Buckshot 09-12-2006 10:35 AM

RE: DIY archery hunt, Routt Nat. Forest CO?

Ok apon closer examination, the Mt. Zirkel wilderness area GMU5

Monie 09-13-2006 08:14 AM

Although most archery tags can be purchased over the counter, there are a few units where you must draw. Unit 5 is one of those. I guess they have better animals in that unit.

I'll be going out next year too, first time. So, I've been doing a lot of research, down to where to get my meat processed and how much it costs. When do you plan on going out? I'd like to try to hit the rut, sometime in sept.

Shoot, swing past Indiana and me and my buddies up. :)

Monie 09-13-2006 08:23 AM

As far as hunter density in Routt, you're probably looking at around 3,000 people with maybe not quite 300 elk taken. This is taken from last years harvest statistics.

From what I understand, you can camp anywhere on the National Forest, just make sure watch for fire bans. If your're taking a truck, I'm guessing that you'd need to go where they allow 4x4's, and follow the marked trails. Make sure you have a spark arrester on the muffler. I can't even tell you how many fires have been started because someone was driving offroad without one.

Buckshot 09-13-2006 07:32 PM

I think we might try unit 14, seems most of the MT. Zirkel wilderness is in that unit, any place we can walk back in. Might try a spike camp if we locate them way back in.

Monie 09-14-2006 07:12 AM

Unit 14....Ther were a total of 714 hunters in that unit last year, and a total of 85 elk taken. That's a successrate of 12%

Buckshot 09-14-2006 08:07 AM

Thank you. I just downloaded the western hunting guide, tons of info. One of the guys from our deer lease has been going out for the last 3 years, hunts near there. We were thinking of the second week of september, but it looks like the muzzleloader guys will be in there, might have to go the first week or the last week, Im trying to figure out when there most vunerable. So your a newbie too, ever hunt elk with a bow before? Seems to be an awesome way to do it. Heck the bull I shot in idaho I could have shot with a bow. Im heading back out to ID at the end of October, but I think this maybe my last year hunting for elk with a rifle, just to addicted to the whole bow hunting game. What unit are you guys thinking about hunting? Packing in or road side camping? Hopefully we can take my buddys mobile home back the roads, would be very nice to have a shower and a ready made camp.

Monie 09-14-2006 08:27 AM

Yep, newbie to elk hunting, period. I'd heard so many great stories from my family when I was growing up. I finally decided to take the plunge and go out for a bowhunt. I don't know about the other guys, but I plan to pack in a couple of miles, at least. There are 3 others (maybe). I say that because I said to one friend, my bow tech, let's go elk hunting. He said ok. He then asked a couple of other guys who seemed to be interested. I'm thinking the other two might want to go with an outfitter, which is fine. Regardless, I plan to go, whether they all want to go or not.

I was looking at unit 211. There's a 53% success rate. There were only 160 hunters last year and 85 of them tagged out. I also noticed that there were several thousand hunters in the adjacent units....possibly pushing the elk toward 211? Then next choice might be 301. There were 42 hunters and 19 tagged out that's 45 %. And 70 looks kinda promising too. lol so many units, so little time.

I agree with you about being addicted to bowhunting. Now, it just doesn't seem right to shoot an animal with a gun, but that's just me. I preferr the up close and personal shots, rather than the, I can see his bitty body in my scope shot.

I'm still holding off to make a definite decision until this years stats come out. Then, I'll compare and make a choice.

Buckshot 09-14-2006 09:52 AM

You do realize that 211 and 301 have next to no public hunting land?

BGHUNTER00 09-14-2006 10:34 AM

Hey Monie I live just down SR 26 in between Kokomo and Lafayette. Buckshot is correct about there being next to no public land in those units. On average there is about a 12% success rate in CO on public land (archery).

I just got back from my first archery elk hunt in CO...read "MY NEMISIS". Your doing the right thing by planning now for next year, can never be too prepared.