Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 DIY archery hunt, Routt Nat. Forest CO? >

DIY archery hunt, Routt Nat. Forest CO?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY archery hunt, Routt Nat. Forest CO?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: DIY archery hunt, Routt Nat. Forest CO?

How do you find out about the success rates and how much public land is available? I too am completely new, and I am trying to read books and what not to obtain at least a little knowledge about the sport. As for my trip, it is going to be to CO and an archery hunt, however I have decided that I will probably need 2-3 years to get prepared, based on the consensus I have heard. I have been told by others that the white river national forest is good, but I really have no idea. hopefully I will be able to single out a couple of units soon, so that I can order some USGS topo maps, as well as BLM maps. I am looking for the maps that show private/public property boundaries, but haven't figured out the names of those types of maps, or where to get them yet. Unfortunately, as I start to get more prepared in the next year or so, I will be sure and bug as many of you as I can for the best thing this message board offers, which is HUNTING INFORMATION!!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM

Unit 15, Black mountain and Castle Peak have great elk but you need to hike a few miles to get to the good ones. If you have horses its fine and dandy. The hike up to castle peak isnt that bad, i walked half of it with out a sip of water and i was still wanting to go more before the weather turned ugly. The best way to hunt that area is with a pack and a small tent. Its no luxury way to camp but then again huntingnever wassupposed to simple. Look upthe town of "Burns" to find the way. You'll find that the road splits in 3 directions, Up the middle is the way to Black mountain, The split to the far left is the way towards castle peak, I belive the road is 8532 if i can remember correctly. I would seriously look into these 2 areas. I just got back from muzzleloading and the bow and muzzleloader guys were hunting together and filling their tags.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

G-Dawg, check out Colorados Division of wildlifes web page, for specific info on harvest rates here is a link that will help. http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/HuntingGuide/
Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next to no public hunting land? Really? Does that mean there is none in either unit?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGHUNTER00

Hey Monie I live just down SR 26 in between Kokomo and Lafayette.
What archery shop do you go to? Do you ever make it to Kokomo?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

None that I can find, take a look at the GMU map link, doesnt show any, and if there is Ill bet you its packed with hunters.http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/GMUnitMaps.htm
Old 09-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

Thank youfor the info Frontier, Im gonna check that out tough.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckshot

None that I can find, take a look at the GMU map link, doesnt show any, and if there is Ill bet you its packed with hunters.http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/GMUnitMaps.htm
Yes, I use that feature. Next time you use it, click on the Land Manager check box. This will list BLM and State Trust land, which is open to the public. If you notice, 211 has a nice chunk of BLM land running through the top portion, exactly where the second largest elk migration route is shown.

Actually, that unit had only 160 hunters last year, and it appears to cover several quadrangles. I'm guessing it's about 30 miles wide. Whether they all hunted BLM land I can't say.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

Huh, the BLM land I see, has Juniper Hot Springs, Horse Gulch and Round Bottem is3 miles wide at the most, is that what your looking at?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:52 PM

Not trying to get you out of Co. but if you look up elk area 21 in wyo. witch is just north of MT. Zirkel wilderness has the 2nd highest number of elk killed in Wyo 1,100. there is some wilderness that non-res have to have a guide for but you don't need to go into wilderness to get elk.

Quick Reply: DIY archery hunt, Routt Nat. Forest CO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.