Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elkcrazy scores!!!

Old 09-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elkcrazy scores!!!

No offense taken hillbilly, I passed on 7-8 different elk before taking this one. I like to get big bulls just as anyone else, but I had a real hankering for some tenerloins!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:38 PM

You know what they say: "You can't eat the horns!" Any elk in the cooler is a great harvest. Congrats.
A little advice for all you would-be elk shooters out there, take whatever the Elk Gods give you! Or you might go home skunked.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:20 PM

Passed on 7-8 elk, HMMMmmmm,,, i think there is some exaggeration there, since i am your ex brother in law, but i will still accept you as a hunting buddy! I guess thats what huntin is about, telling good hunting stories with a little twist!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice job. I would be proud to have taken that one. I leave in 2 weeks for my rifle hunt.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Good Job! Congrats
Old 09-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Robinhood, I see that you have emerged from the woods. You just won't let the milkman bull go will you? And yes, bulls will come in without using milk replacer. But that was sure some good eating that year.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Elkcrazy8

Congrats on the bull and contrary to belief for some its not always that easy to get the one you want. I spent two weeks getting snowed on and dealing with more scattered elk than ever in the past. Muzzleloading went fine my client took a respectable 24" muley on the first day, I think it was payback for the big elk that we couldn't put the slip on. Poor deer lol. Then on the fourth day he shot a 4x4 bull. Pictures soon for ya. But was soaked to the bone all week.

Then comes this last week of archery season. Elk where very low key vocally and scattered to the winds. We hunted singles and small groups of 3to 6 elk. The only thing even remotely close to a shot was a nice bull about 70 yds aways. I got my arse handed to me last week. My clients probally think I'm the worst guide ever. I hunted a few of my honey holes and only one was holding elk. With one nice bull hanging out we tried him three times. If we called he'd move, if we were quiet he'd move. That elk spent three day's going in circles in less than 600yd square and we didn't get in the right spot in the circle. He's the one that was 70 yds away. Oh well that's elk hunting.

I did see a monster of a mule deer non-typical 15yds away bedded down but alass I cannot hunt while guiding hunters. That's too bad because that would have been very interesting to see just how high he went in the record book. I think even Eastman's would of said wow. Truly a monster.

Anyway an elk is and elk no matter the size. I'm sure alot of rack eaters would of gladly shot your elk last week. Congrats good bull good success with your friends and in my book you must be doing something right.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Cherokee, you're right, Chad is doing things right! I've talked with him & he has a keen sense for elk hunting, too, he's no slouch of an elk caller. To boot, he's a great guy to be around & a heck of a bow shot!!!

ElkNut1
Old 09-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a good bull to me CONGRATS!!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut, I was in your neck of the woods last week for 2 days I had to spare. I got into town too late to get a hold of you. We called in several nice bulls early in the week.2 of them started to scap it out pretty good 30 yards in front of us. I hunted with some elk newbies and they had several opportunities to take nice 6 points but failed to seal the deal. I did find out that the spagetti and meatballs at Lardos is darn good.

Cherokee, thanks for the kind words. I spent 3 nights in a lean too while it snowed, rained, hailed, and blew. Everything was soaked, but we kept on going. The bulls were acting quite like yours for a few days, with the last one being real good with 5-6 bulls tending one poor cow. We called in a few in the rain and snow, but no shooters. I did get to hear a new elk sound the third day into the second leg of my week. We had a cow come in and stopped at 10 yards. She let out the biggest fart I have ever heard. It left both of us in tears. I am taking the weekend off from big game and may go get some chuckars, and also begin preparing for the late mulie migration.

Quick Reply: Elkcrazy scores!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.