Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I want to CRY

Old 09-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default I want to CRY

Went out Elk hunting this morning. Just as it was getting light I let out a small bugle... Heard no reply, then a few cow calls.....Nothing
Walked about 500 yards in and saw a cow and calf at about 120 yards.
Wind was in my face and waited till the pair went over a rise so I could put on a stalk.
After about 75 yards there was an elk at 20 with it's head down feeding and had no idea I was there. Went to 1 knee, knocked an arrow and started to draw, as I did the elk a 5x5 bull raised his head and was looking the other way. I waited and it continued feeding with his head down. I came to full draw and ...........whizzz my arrow completely missed. The Elk ran about 50 yards and looked back for awhile the continued feeding.
In the meantime another Elk a large cow came into view at about 30 yards. nocked another arrow came to full draw and Whizzz another miss.
I can't believe whats going on here.Just last week shot a mulie doe at about 25 yards through the top of the heart.
Now I find out I am in a herd of Elk ( about 20) they are nervous but still since the wind is in my favor don't know whats going on.
I wait about 15 minutes till they calm down. Theres another cow at about 30 yards under a tall dead pine that has resumed feeding.
Again I nock an arrow, come to full draw and let loose. Whizz, Smack, I got um a 40 foot dead Pine Tree about 20 feet up in the trunk.
Game Over! The elk now a little disturbed start to look around and slowly walk away asseveral more pass me at 20 yards.
I am sick and want to CRY.
After checking my gear seems the vibration from my ATV rack had caused the set screw on my drop away rest to come lose and my rest stood straight up at a 90 degree angle making my arrows fly into the morning air.
I wanna PUKE. oh well that's poker ahhh I mean hunting.
Just got back from town with 1/2 dozen new carbons, 6 new broadheads and a little bottle of Locktite. I am again hitting quarters at 20 yards.
Try again in the morning.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I want to CRY

Ugh......that's awful luck. Hope you have better luck next time
Old 09-09-2006, 01:23 PM

That sucks, maybe better luck next time. In the meantime, here's a shoulder to cry on . . .
Old 09-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'd make a great partner for the guy I hunted with opening weekend here in CO. He got three shots on the 2nd day. One at a 6x6, one at a 6x7, and one at a small 5x5, and he went home empty handed!! Although, we never found out yet is his equipment was at fault, or his nerves!!
Old 09-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

that sucks but at least they were clean misses. i just got back from co and my hunting partner shot a decent 5x5 and we never could find it. he's pretty beat up about it...but i guess it's a game of inches sometimes.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it was good to hear you got into some right off the bat. Hopefully your luck will hold in that regard. At least you get to keep hunting
Old 09-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1
Well, it was good to hear you got into some right off the bat.
I had a hunch as last year Muley and I came into a huge herd in the exact spot.
I was kind of surprised as they aren't talking much and it's a good thing I spotted a couple first before going over the ridge or I would have been completly busted for sure.
I will be in there in the morning before light waiting again.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 PM

good luck next time you go out, sorry to hear that man

-Travis-
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 PM

Good luck next time, last year I missed a cow right in the middle of an old dirt road at 100 yds!!! And I felt terrible after one miss but three! I would probly be in a coma,lol but like my freinds dad told me if you hunt your gonna miss sometime, well at leat I got that "sometime" outta the way,lol. At least you got a excues, I just missed,lol.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 PM

Good luck next time, last year I missed a cow right in the middle of an old dirt road at 100 yds!!! And I felt terrible after one miss but three! I would probly be in a coma,lol but like my freinds dad told me if you hunt your gonna miss sometime, well at leat I got that "sometime" outta the way,lol. At least you got a excues, I just missed,lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.