Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 to all Pronghorn hunters or folks who live out west >

to all Pronghorn hunters or folks who live out west

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

to all Pronghorn hunters or folks who live out west

Old 09-04-2006, 04:08 PM

Default to all Pronghorn hunters or folks who live out west

just out of curiosity....do Pronghorn shed every year like whitetail, elk, and mulie and all them do? thanks

-Travis-
Old 09-04-2006, 05:04 PM

Default RE: to all Pronghorn hunters or folks who live out west

99.9% sure that the answer is yes.lol
Old 09-04-2006, 06:26 PM

The Pronghorn Antelope (not an antelope, sheep, goat, or any other animal relation) have horns. Not antlers. BUT! Yes, they do shed each year. Horns? . . . that shed? . . . you may ask.

Here's the mystery. They have a core like cartilage that is permanent making it a horn. It is about 5-7 inches long and continues to grow throughout the animals life. However, they grow a "skin" around this "horn" each year. Which also gets bigger each year.The outer skin is kind of like dead hair and fingernail material. Similar to a Rhino's horn. And yes, it falls off each year around January-February. The new "skin" starts growing back immediately.

On another subject . . . I agree with your stance on canned hunts. If you put a fence around it, call it a zoo, not your hunting ground!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

The Pronghorn Antelope (not an antelope, sheep, goat, or any other animal relation) have horns. Not antlers. BUT! Yes, they do shed each year. Horns? . . . that shed? . . . you may ask.

Here's the mystery. They have a core like cartilage that is permanent making it a horn. It is about 5-7 inches long and continues to grow throughout the animals life. However, they grow a "skin" around this "horn" each year. Which also gets bigger each year.The outer skin is kind of like dead hair and fingernail material. Similar to a Rhino's horn. And yes, it falls off each year around January-February. The new "skin" starts growing back immediately.

On another subject . . . I agree with your stance on canned hunts. If you put a fence around it, call it a zoo, not your hunting ground!

thanks alot!! I was rippin my hair out trying to figure it out before cause I was like "I know they have horns, not antlers..but..horns dont shed!!" haha. Thanks again.

-Travis-
Old 09-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

They can also drop their sheds earlier like the last week of the season around the middle of Nov.Also a good note if you ever pull the horns off,don't get the slime on your hands,you'l gag for weeks.It STINKS BAD.
BBJ
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The same is true for mountain goats.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:29 PM

Hunted pronghorn near Jordan, MT last fall. We saw a number of goats that had shed already and we hunted the last week of October.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:30 PM

Hunting Pronghorn for the first time in 2 weeks. Outfitter has been emailing me some nice pics.

Near Fairview, Montana