Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk/Deer Rifle

Old 08-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Elk/Deer Rifle

Bullets under 7MM are constructed every bit as well as any other caliber of bullet. They are in fact constructed in the exact same way when it come to bullets like the X bullet and the Partition. There are bullets of high sectional density in almost every rifle caliber. Choose whatever caliber turns your crank but don't fault any caliber for poor bullet construction. You would be darn hard pressed to find a bullet in any caliber that will out penetrate the 264 caliber bullet. People get hung up on calibers when its picking the right bullet for the caliber that you have that counts.

A bullet for Elk should have a SD of 260 or higher. Every caliber from 25 on up has a bullet of at least that SD. Rifles form 25-06 on up have been used with much success on elk. Old Roy Weaterby's favorite elk gun was his 257 Weather Mag while his sons favorite was the 270 Weather Mag.

Because I own 30 caliber rifles, they would be my normal pick for elk However I have either shot elk or was present when elk were cleanly killed with the 260 and 270 as well. Both have bullets plenty high in SD and in the case of the X bullet which was used in the 260 and shot through both front shoulders of the elk, these bullets are constructed in the same way as their bigger cousins.

If picking one rifle that had to be used for both elk and deer( heaven forbid), I would rather have a rifle thats more than needed for deer and plenty for elk. IMO thats the 270and up. Personally for me because of the methods I use to hunt, the 260 and up would also work just fine.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elk I'd go with .300 Win Mag. On the bench it'll set you back in your seat a bit getting it sighted. But when you're hunting and get a solid shot, I've seen the shock stop Elk in their tracks. I'd go with this too if you're expecting you might shoot at it over 200 yards.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt Elk with .30-06 either for shots of around 200 yards more or less with good ammunition.

Deer I use .30-06 in this area we'd almost never get an opening more than 200 yds. It's a very versital rifle for that.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

IMHO, the 7 mags and any the 300's are the way to go. The 7 will give you a lighter option in grains. Other than that,the two are very close in preformance. I shoot a 300wsm and am very pleased. Little re-coil, but theammo is $$$ and can be hard to find.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you run out of ammo, every mom and pop store across the country carries 30-06. Might be a consideration!!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:52 AM

If I had to have one gun for deer and elk, it would be my 300 Win Mag. It is the most versatile rifle I own. Actually, if I could only own one rifle period, it would be my 300 WM. All I have to do is change the bullet I shoot from it to match the game I am hunting.

It has taken crows, coyote, antelope, whitetail, mulies, and elk from 40 yards to over 600. It takes them cleanly without the massive meat damage (except for the crows and coyotes) that I experienced when Iused my 7mm Mag. And provides a flatter trajectory and more long range energy transfer than my 30.06 (that is my second favorite choice). Actuallymy 7mm Mag is history as it wasn't as accurate as either my 300 WM or 30.06, damaged the meat more, and kicked the hardest of the 3. Plus I just prefer 30 cal guns and the variety of bullets available.

I reload formy 300 andshoot150 gr Sierras or Nosler BT for deer, antelope, and varmints. Then I switch to a 180 grBarnes X for elk.I have an awesome load for elk atjust under 3000fps that will group under one inch at 200 yards. I was lazy last year and didn't bother switching loads for deer after elk season. I ended up taking two whitetails with the Barnes X load, one at 55 yards and one at 343 yards.

In my 30.06, I use factory ammo. I also like the 150 Sierras and Noslers for deer but used the 180 gr Nosler Partition for backup elk-gun duty. This past season, Iswitched to the180 gr Accubonds as they seemed to show better accuracy than the NP while still having the construction necessary to use on elk.Although I didn't use it on elk,I used the 30.06 and the Accubond with excellent results on a huge whitetail at 312 yards. Dropped in it's tracks.

I don't think you can ever go wrong with the 30.06 for it's available ammo and versatility.Especially if you plan to use factory ammo. I just like the 30.06 on steroids (300 WM) a bit better.

Although I have no hands-on experience with it, I think the 300 WSM is a fine choice too. It is close to the 300 WM in performancein a lighter and shorter package. Butif you handload, the 300 WM still comes out on top, especially with heavier bullets.

Craig
Old 08-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to go with a .35 Whelen. It has very manageable recoil (but it's no 6.5x55 ). It's flat enough to shoot 200+ yards and has enough energy to knock an elk down that far away. I've taken 2 deer with this gun (no elk yet) and it does surprisingly little meat damage. If you're looking for a more convential cartridge, the 30-06 will do nicely.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think the 8mm/06 would be a decent cartridge for both jobs. But if the hand-load-only propostition puts you off you could go with one of the new .325 Winchester guns.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Spike

.30-06 using Fed. high energy 180 grn. loads for elk, and
150-180 grn. Rem. Core-lokts for deer.

That's all you'll ever need.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:05 AM

.300 Win Mag with 180 gr. Factory FUSION loads is what I shoot. Nice and not too much damage.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PaJack

FYI...

http://members.tripod.com/sed88/rem7/
Good Post!

Quick Reply: Elk/Deer Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.