Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 ? to all Archery Elk Hunters >

? to all Archery Elk Hunters

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? to all Archery Elk Hunters

Old 08-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ? to all Archery Elk Hunters

Going on my 1st archery Elk hunt this Sept. Been practicing on 3d's, getting ready. I did some internet studying on the Elks anatomy for shot placement. Pretty much looks like a larger whitetail deer's vital zone. Then I read a article in Sept issue of Petersons Bowhunting pg.103 called "Take the Shot?" This article stressed how a guide in Utah named Darwin Vander Esch stressed to this hunter if the opportunity came take a frontal shot on a Elk. Aim between the legs & below the dark mane. Its a very vital shot, and the area is equal in size to a whitetail deer's broadside vital area. The article goes on how a arrow placed here will enter the chest striking the vital organs, and lodge in the stomach area. But the Elk will expire quickly, often quicker than a broadside shot into the lungs on a Elk!
I myself wouldn't ever consider a frontal shot on any animal other than a turkey with a bow. I'm a stickler for knowing the animal I'm pursueing, and knowing all the proper areas for a quick & clean kill. I ask,do you archery Elk huntershave any further knowledge of a Elk Frontal shot? I'm not asking for opinions on whether this is ethical or should be taken. I'm askingcan anyone tell me if this articlehas truth to such a shot? If it holds true, its certainly one I'd practice, and be prepared for. If not I'll just brush it off as another dumb article.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:19 AM

Default RE: ? to all Archery Elk Hunters

I have only killed a couple elk myself....so there are people more qulified to answer this....but here is my take. An elk is a very well built animal, you will be amazed how big they are on the ground.
The ribs come together in the front to make a point....What if you arrow dosn't hit dead center? Will the arrow follow the outside of the ribs & end up under one of the shoulders? I am sure if you hit it perfect it will cause a quick clean kills, But I am sure that some hunter will try this with bad results......Not sure I like articles like this, there controvercial & made for advertisement.
Good luck on your hunt....
Old 08-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen the shot executed on videos a couple times, and while they hid the details, it sure looked like they had long recoveries that couldn't have been good for the meat. I think it's a slob shot. The reason we're talking about it is that elk have a tendency to come straight in on you when you call them in. I've passed up this straight-on shot many times.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The frontal shot on a elk is a killing shot if you can pull it off,butI bet 90% of archers who hunt elk couldn't pull it off under the heat of the moment.
The vitals out front are not the same as a deer,your shooting for a window of about 4-5 inches,margin of erro is very small.If you hit little left or right you hit bone,alittle high you might catch the wind pipe(very long tracking job),low and you hit a heavy brisket.
When you get a bull that comes in straight he's looking,his nostrils are flared,his eyes buggy,snot dripping the air is alive.You won't be in much better shape,you will be nervous,shaking,drooling,heart pounding,your breath will be short or you will be holding it.You won't be able to focus on your pins,you will be looking at his rack and wondring how big he is.You mind will be saying what if I miss,what if I conect,wow my buddies are goind to be envyous so on and so on.
I had a big 6x6 @ 13 yds last year straight on,I was at 3/4 draw and I noticed thet my arrow was shaking in my wisker bisquet,when I hit full draw I couldn't see my pins all I could see was this masive beast at my feet.
Did I take the shot,no I waited for a 100 % broadside shot,did I get it,no, I had to let down and he spooked.I was still shaking the next day at work,it's simply amazing.
It's your hunt you doit your way,but you don't want to make your first hunt a bad memory.
I'm heading out Sept2nd to doit all over again,if my season ends on me letting down on a big bull again so be it,but man the memories are priceless.
Good luck and only you are the one that makes or breaks the hunt.
Hunt hard,hunt smart.
BBJ
Old 08-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted with guys whose word I trust who have taken this shot and swore to never do it again. One was recovered quickly, one was never found, and the one that was recovered quickly, upon further inspection it was determined it was pure luck that the arrow weaseled its way in. I am so against the shot myself that I passed a 20 yard shot on the biggest 6X6 I have ever seen because he was looking straight at me. He turned broadside, but then there were cows in the way and I never did get a shot. Still haunts me, but not nearly as bad as if I would have made a bad shot and never recovered him.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys, this article made it read like a sure fire quick clean kill if you hit the 12" square area it speaks of. I wanted to hear from you guys that have experience with it. Its much appreciated. Its not one I've ever taken before on any Big Game animal, nor one I'd ever consider. But never hunting Elk before, and knowing they are so much largerI hadto know if it held any merit. I'd appreciate any more others have as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Is the "Frontal Shot" deadly? You better believe it! Is it a small target? It all depends on what you consider small? It's aprox. the size of a grapefruit. Should this shot be taken? It's all up to the shooter. I will say for me personally that this is a shot I would take 100% of the time given the opportunity.

But I also know it's not for everyone. Why? Because it's a shot that requires calmness & clear thinking in crucial up close encounters. I would not take this shot outside of 20 yds, under this, & it's a dead elk. I'm confident that I could hit this grapefruit sized target at under 20 yds & have done it on several occassions with both elk & deer. They don't go far when properly placed.

The problem that exists in many cases is that hunters don't know the anatomy of an elk or are not clear on it or deer for that matter. There are no bones to contend with on the frontal shot, it's completely void of any ribs in this entire frontal area, the last bit of rib bone or any is off to each side& nothing up front to contend with your arrows penetration or deflection. The shot is where the two colors of mane meet & dead center! Too, what happens is some take shots although close where the animal is not actually head on to them & still dead-center their aim & shot, this puts the line of travel off to one side as the arrow enters.

You must compensate shot angle in your aim even a little bit if quartering, the same as you would an elk quartering away from you, you don't aim for the shoulder you aim for more of the rib area so the arrows line of travel enters the lungs, the same is true for the frontal shot.

Again, under 20 yds most hunters can drive nails, but the excitement of the moment also comes into play. If you are the least bit worried or apprehensive at this shot, then please stay away from it, it's not for everyone! But yes it's deadly when arrow is put in the right area.

ElkNut1
Old 08-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut, your explanationof this shot is very similar to the article I read in Petersons. It also happens to be basedon a Idaho elk hunt, and guide. The only difference is the article claims the frontal area is a good square ftin size on a Elk. Of course that would depend on the size of the Elk too, and how he's standing at the time. So it seems to come down to angle, distance, and ones shooting ability.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Buck Alley,

a 12" square area, is 3"x4" or approximately the size of a grapefruit....

However, I would be surprised if Petersons described it as 12"x12" area...
Old 08-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

I've not seen the article you're referring to but I understand where you're coming from. It is a questionable shot for ones with little to no first hand experience with it. You say the article mentions a 12" window on the frontal shot, there may be some validity to that thought but the point of impact would change as the angle would change. As an elk would quarter to your right or your left the impact would do this as well.

I personally like a cut on contact head best for shots as this as they have superior penetration capabilities.

ElkNut1

Quick Reply: ? to all Archery Elk Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.