Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

HUNTING TIPS

Old 08-22-2006, 06:32 PM

Default RE: HUNTING TIPS

[:@] Duh!Thanks for correcting me HBH1, Rather_be_huntin I apologize for the name mix up! Check your PM!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

Elk are on my mind, I've got cold sweats. My lady thinks I've gone crazy. She just doesn't understand. She always tells me that I need to share my feelings with her. She says I need to open up more.

Just last night we were watching a movie together snuggled up on the couch. Now I'm a pretty thick skinned guy and even if something makes me emotional I can usually hide it but this movie just made me cry. Tears were coming down my face. So as I turned off Primos Truth 9 Big Bulls, my lady told me to talk to her and tell her how I was feeling. She had that soft lady tone and told me what ever it was she would listen while she softly wiped away my tears. Guys you know what I'm talking about, even a hard man can't resist that. I told her how excited I was to chase buglin bulls and muleys.Nearly instantly Igot the blank stare. I told her about my elk honey hole and what my strategy was and how I would hunt these critters. I told her about getting so close I could hear the snot dripping out of a rutting bulls nose. I told her about the 3 draws I hunt and how I would hunt them. I opened up to her about my feelings more last night than I had in a long time. Just when I felt like I had shared all my feelings, I thought she would explode in tears and embrace me and we would skip out the door and she'd go right out in the field with me to shoot my bow. Instead she got up and walked away and said, "you're an idiot."
That is some good and funny stuff right there. I know exactly what you mean.
It's even more hillarious when you know RBH personally!!!! LOLOLOL

Tell your sweety that I can completely sympathize, RBH! LOLOLOL Although I'm really wishing that I could accompany Idahoelkinstructor on his bowhunt this next week. Instead I'll be at home with the kids and doing homework. [:-] [&:] Maybe one of these years I'll let him stay at home with the kids and I'll take off for 2 weeks!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like to take a peice of rope along about 6-7 feet for whitetail hunting.
I like to tie one end around the deers foot and tie it up next to his ear.
Then bring the other foot up to his ear and tie also. I make a loop and
put it over my shoulder so that the deer's head is about even with my
waist. As this leaves only half of the deer dragging on the ground. And
for long drags or dragging the heavey weights out it is easier to drag
them this way.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

I'm glad some of you found the story humorous....just goes to show how much more you laugh when you have the right person in your life.

Hickchick....Emily was lucky enough to tag along on my last deer hunt. Infact we just got back yesterday. This deer is by no means a monster but we just couldn't get the big boys to cooperate and we wanted some meat in the freezer.

Here is a pic with me and the little lady.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great picture (and nice shot too!). Congrats on some good eatin' and better make sure to keep hold of that one, she's a keeper!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:30 AM

I use a scented wind detector while bow hunting, that way if I am in the wrong position (upwind) it will help to cover my scent. The Elk "Cow in Heat" scented Fireless-Smokewill even bring them in closer.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

tip:

if possible, make sure to always have a "spare" release accessible whenbowhunting. It's well worth the investment (especially if you leave the first one on a log somewhere). Malfunction is always another possibility to guard against.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Take an extra rifle if you have one.You just never know and good back up insurance.