Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wall Tent Floor covering

Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Wall Tent Floor covering

I am going to order a wall tent and was looking for cheap great ways to cover the floor. What do you all do?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Wall Tent Floor covering

In our mess hall area, cheap brown poly pro tarps anchored in place with landscaping staples (don't nail your sod cloth). This assumes your area to be "floored" is bigger than a reasonable sized tarp and will require two tarps with a splice.

In our sleeping quarters, a piece of 6 mill visquene on the ground and then a cheap brown poly pro tarp over that, only it is one piece and bigger than the foot print of the tent, we have it marked where the legs sit on it (internal frame) and then the overage is rolled just above floor level "behind" the legs and helps create a seal. We then throw "throw rugs" on top of that and "carpet" the whole thing. Propane stove sits on a piece of 3/4" plywood. Mmmmmm, nice and toasty. [This is base camp, close to the road and right out of the trailer.]

So, visquene first, sod cloth on top of that, poly tarp on top of that with the excess rolled up along the edges 3 to 4 inches above the floor.

Let'er rain, snow, whatever.... we're gonna be dry.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

We use the cheap tarp method suggested by EKM. We have boards running between the poles and just screw the tarp into the boards on the inside. Throw some old remnants down on top of them in the sleeping tent. Works nice and if you tear up the tarp you haven't lost much. Sometimes they last more than one year, depending on how much of a hurry we are in.
We usually just run it up under the woodburning stoves too. Heat/embers will carve out the space for you!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 PM

That is what I was kind of thinking. Where did you all get the carpet from? My tent will be 12x20 ft.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

In a couple years we used the carpet I was taking out of my house!
We have a couple of older area rugs we use now. We have a couple of 12x20 sleep tents and use the area rugs just around the cots. Have an area just inside the tent where everyone takes of muddy/wet boots and then have the rugs from there to cot as the tarps tend to get pretty nasty after several days.
When we get back, I just take the rugs to the car wash and hose them off, let'em dry good and roll'em up for the next year.
Oh sure.....they don't match the decor exactly and they usually clash with our window treatments!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get all of my carpet from carpet layers,find some one in your area that replaces carpet.When guys get done with jobs or make mistakes they scrap it,you can pick it up cheap sometimes.
I bought a 16x40 pice for30 bucks just last May,my little 10x12 will be a home away from home this fall.
BBJ

Old 08-07-2006, 03:53 PM

if yer not packing in on horseback and just drivin to yer site a couple a pieces a plywood over a tarp under yer cot are great.

early
Old 08-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

My family has also always used "throw away" carpet. Contacted local carpet layer, told them that we would like some carpet that they had ripped out and replaced, and we have always gotten it for free! Use it a year, or two or three, and throw it away, and start over!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

We use press fabric. If you live in a town that has a paper mill or pulp mill you could ask them for a peice of press or dryer felt. What it is ?.it is like berber carpet but made of mono and cloth ...like a heavy indoor out door carpet.

AL