Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk were talking this past week >

Elk were talking this past week

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk were talking this past week

Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Elk were talking this past week

I know some of you won't believe me, but we were scouting in central Colorado this past week and the elk were going crazy. The cows and calves were talking up a storm. There were some rag horns that were giving out screaches and periodic barks. It basically happened from about sundown until an hour into the day. They were also running everywhere. I have never seen this much talking outside RMNP. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it because the calves are around?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk were talking this past week

The bull elk I have seen about 2 weeks ago still had their velvet on.I cow called to them from across the draw and they just starred then went back to feeding.
Elkshed
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elk talk all the time,they are very vocal animals.It's not uncommon to hear a bull bugling in January or March.
I do belive it's going a early fall,so the rut will probaly be ahead of last year I'm betting
BBJ
Old 08-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

bbj is right. Elk talk all the time. They even squeal all the time, but the bugleing does not happen until the first week in Sept. Any elk challenging or herding does not happen until then. The bugles will start in ernest by the end of the first week in Sept. Always, there is no early or late rut. It always happens the same time every year, ALWAYS. Pre-rut is ALWAYS Sept. 1 to about Sept 22. Then the rut for 5 weeks including the secondary rut. Weather and herd structure will dictate if they rut at night or in the daytime. This can vary by about 4 or 5 days depending on weather and moon phase but that's about the most it will vary. Elk do have a language if you learn it, calling works well if not, you will send them packing almost every time.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:35 AM

stinkbelly,
I like your name!

Guys,
I never knew that elk were that vocal! I'm new to elk hunting. Does anyone use calls?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:40 AM

I use the hoochie mama and diaphram call with and without a bugle tube. I would rather here and elk bugle than any other animal call in the woods.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:29 AM

The hoochie mama????? I never heard of that one! I have to get some elk videos to hear the elk bugle. Thanks for the feedback it's always good to get the hunters perspective.