HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   CO 4WD Roads question? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/148713-co-4wd-roads-question.html)

bugs11 07-21-2006 11:48 AM

CO 4WD Roads question?

Anyone have experience driving on the 4WD roads in GMU 25/26 during October, like FSR 610? Just how rough are the roads? And do you think a F150 4wd shortbox with a topper be able to negotiate them without too much difficultly? Sorry to pester everyone with questions, but I'm trying to gather information to plan my elk hunting safari.

Also, will I need tire chains? Out here on the prairie I have no need for chains, but if I need them to hunt CO, then I want to buy them and practice putting them on and taking them off my F150.

Thanks.
-Bugs

fillae 07-21-2006 12:28 PM

RE: CO 4WD Roads question?

I have not driven the roads in the unit you will be hunting, but I have driven many of the rough roads out here. You will be fine with your F150. I have yet to need chains as well (although I have them and carry them just in case). Just take the rough sections slow, you'll be surprised at how your truck can manage. If it's marked on the map it is generally maintained.

Howler 07-21-2006 02:20 PM

If ya don't carry chains, you will need them. If ya don't carry a toe rope, you will need it. If ya don't carry any wrenches, you will need them. If ya don't carry, well, ...............you get the picture.
Most roads will be fine with your rig, unless early heavy snow comes, then all bets are off! I also haven't traveled that area, BUT like I said above, the general rule is......if you don't have it, you will need it!!

ELKampMaster 07-23-2006 12:38 PM

Second rifle season, on the cusp of transition to serious weather.I hunt the first season and have had 14" of snow that blew horizontal to the ground and have had a 90 degree day.

Personally, for extended stays, I don't 4WD asfar back in in the Fall has I would in Summer. Colo high country 4WD roads are one thing in summer, another thing in early fall, and a way different beast once snow hits.Put base camp near a decent(non-4WD) road and work in a spike camp further out (I prefer horses to get to itbut you could back pack to it [please leave ATVs at home]). I don't wantto have to flee my chosen base camp location just because of semi-negative weather report/conditions. Remember, ahigh mountain4WD road that is of moderate challenge dry can become wicked when wet. JMHO

RedRiverHntr 07-24-2006 04:04 PM

Not sure about where you go......but where we go (around 10k feet and several miles of 4wd jeep road) I will not travel without chains. Been going to this spot for 4 years and only needed them once. But that is all it takes. Snowed several times but that wasn't the problem. Now understand we pull in some heavy trailers, but it was when the snow melted that getting in/out was a problem. And it was only a problem in a couple of places. But those were some very muddy places and the chains came to be essential.
Wouldn't go without them myself. Hope you never need them.

BuckAlley 07-24-2006 08:59 PM

Hey Bugs, It just happens I'll be traveling that same road myself this Sept. on a archery Elk hunt. It'll be my first trip, and I'm with a outfitterwho has guide/outfitter permitfor that area? Are you by chance going to the same place in Oct. or doing this trip alone? Maybe when I get back I could help you out on how the road in was.

Elk2901 07-26-2006 06:50 AM

I hunt in a GMU next to you. In October it is going to snow some. Then warm up. Then you have a slippery mess. When that occurs you will need 4wd chains.

bugs11 07-26-2006 11:08 AM

Buck, I'd greatly appreciated a road report from yourarchery hunt.

EKM, I'm hunting solo this year for a cow, my current thinking is drive up FSR 610 to a decent camp site near Stump Park and then backpack in a mile or two and set up a spike camp. I plan on being mobile and roughing it. If the weather turns, I'll high-tail it back to the truck and beat-feet out of there. That sound's reasonable, doesn't it?

Bugs

ELKampMaster 07-26-2006 12:32 PM

Ah, well, IMO that depends on if FSR 610 is navigable when snowy/wet/muddy, for all I know it may be, i.e. it MAY not be adied in the wool, mean, steep4WD road with stair ledges and slick rock sections.If so, then while itwould not make for as good of a story, it would make for a dependable all weather thru fare which is a good thing to have.

Then if it threatens to snow, snows, or snows and then getsmeaner you can hang right in there and NOT be chased off to a different location and I see that as an advantage. Once I have the investment of my scouting and the effort of setting up my spike camp I want to stay put and not worry too much about weather. At that time of year it is common for the the snow to hit and then a warming trend start up and causethe snowto shrink back/compact down, or melt away.

SILVERTIP-CO 07-26-2006 06:10 PM

Yes.