HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/148183-elk-hunting-carry-side-arm-not.html)

bugs11 07-16-2006 09:11 PM

Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

For those experienced elk hunters; do you carry a side arm? while hunting? in camp? is this a dumb question?

Just wondering if I need to pack a side arm for my elk hunt expedition. I can choose between a Glock 21 ora .44 mag Ruger Vaquero 5.5" barrel.

Kraton 07-16-2006 09:33 PM

RE: Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

Good Read:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1500085&mpage=4&key=pepper%2cspr ayí·ƒí¶

I carry a side arm. Spray or gun you still have to draw it.;)

bugs11 07-16-2006 09:51 PM

Never thought about pepper spray, definately lighter option than a fully loaded G21.

bugs11 07-16-2006 10:10 PM

I forgot, I also have a Bulgarian Makarov I could take. Hmmm, 9mmx18 would probably just pi$$ off a bear.

handloader1 07-16-2006 11:04 PM

Take the .44 Rem. Mag. Good luck.

Abuelo 07-16-2006 11:44 PM

If you're talking archery hunt, a concealed weapon permit is required to do that here. I've never bothered and never needed one. Just more weight to carry.

I've hunted with my Thompson Contender before. I found a shoulder holster to be much more comfortable when you're hiking around all day.

stinkbelly 07-17-2006 05:48 AM

I carry one while elk hunting. I ususally come in contact with about 2 bears a day. I actually drew ittwice last year. Once a bear was at full run at me at 20 yards. Luckily for me he wasn't running at me and when he saw me, he turned and ran away. The second, I woke up a sleeping bear. Great idea. I didn't see him and when I woke him up, he was at 15 yards. He immediately went into the full standing position on his back feet. I stupidly charged him and drew my pistol. He turned and ran away.

The year before, I came across a cub. I once again stupidly charged. I never saw the sow. Those sound like famous last words.

If you carry one, make sure it is legal and that you have the proper holster for the condiditons. Don't use a leather holster if it will get wet. I destroyed a perfect condition 357 this way. Now I use the fobus. It won't hold moisture against your pistol.

Highpower 07-17-2006 09:40 AM

I always carry one into camp. My main reason is for packing meat out, rather than carry a rifle, a sidearm works better for me. Used to be a 44 mag but now it's a 45LC Taurus Titanium.

MThunter 07-17-2006 12:26 PM

I carry a side arm while packing meat but thats about it. It gets annoying on your hip.

BareBack Jack 07-17-2006 03:16 PM

I carry one during archery season(where permitted).I usally carry a 41 mag or 44 mag.I used to carry a rifle and pistol during general season,but haven't the past few years cause I haven't been in bear country,and figured my rifle would work.
I do carry a pistol during pheasant hunting(during deer season)I've seen one to many big whities jump up and stop and look at me and all I have is a load of #5's.Figure one day it will pay off and I will get one.
Keep the markove at home unless you plan on finishing what the bear started.;)
BBJ

Kraton 07-18-2006 08:15 AM

I didn't see him and when I woke him up, he was at 15 yards. He immediately went into the full standing position on his back feet. I stupidly charged him and drew my pistol. He turned and ran away.

The year before, I came across a cub. I once again stupidly charged. I never saw the sow. Those sound like famous last words.
Coughbull****coughcough

game4lunch 07-18-2006 04:08 PM

Why carry the extra weight of a sidearm? I would hope that you already have a high powered weapon with you. If you are in Griz country, you may be required by regulation to at least carry adequate pepper spray.
I don't carry one. Never have. Good thoughts about carryinga handgunwhile packing the meat out though.
Here in Wyoming, you used to get a bear tag WITH your elk tag. PERIOD!
Bottom line . . . put a little adventure in your hunt,cut you a biga switch!

cherokee_outfitters 07-19-2006 07:10 PM

Always carry year round no matter what. I've read that the pepper spray works well on bears and have seen it used as a deterent on garbage bears. I would feel better as I'm being gnawed on knowing the bear is pumping out the last of his blood from my 41mag. Bears don't bother me the sound of humans in the woods bother me if you know what I'm meaning.

throwingStarr 07-19-2006 08:53 PM

Look: just transport in a 50 caliber anti aircraft strapped to your quads ; ok??

SILVERTIP-CO 07-19-2006 09:04 PM

not when i have my 06 with me.

Rebel Hog 07-20-2006 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: handloader1

Take the .44 Rem. Mag. Good luck.
Yep! Especially if you're hunting high up!

*Hiker* 07-20-2006 05:39 PM

If I'm rifle hunting I don't carry one but if I'm hunting Griz country with a bow, I do. Bear Pepper spray is a good idea too. This is the one I'd choose "a .44 mag Ruger Vaquero 5.5" barrel." with some great shells that holds together when blowing through a big, thick skull.

Have a great hunt.

losthwy 07-20-2006 05:59 PM

When Elk hunting I hunt as light as possible for most elk hunting is in nasty, steep country.

Elkshed 07-20-2006 10:31 PM

I don't carry my revolver anymore.I did carry a ruger super redhawk in .454 casull.Last year I had too many elk busting me when the wind would swirl.Then it dawned on me there was oils and solvent smell in my cordura holster.I pack a can of bear spray.I always run into lots of bears especially since the huckleberries are ripe then.and also they come into my cow calls.Have ran into a few griz and hope never again.
Elkshed

Power 07-27-2006 01:07 PM

Find out the area your in. If there are only black bears and cougars, your rifle is all you need (assuming you're not hunting with a bow).

If you are in an area with Griz and Wolves, might not be a bad idea. Find out from others in the area what they recommend. Here in Washington I've never worried about it (only blacks and cats) but my Idaho hunt this fall I'm thinking about it (Griz and dogs).

hillbillyhunter1 07-27-2006 03:34 PM

If you are in an area with Griz and Wolves
IF wolves are in the area, it would be good to have sidearm( to initiate you're own local wolf management program:D;)) If grizz is a concern, you may be better off using the spray on them. Has anyone on here ever sprayed a bear???? I know several have shot, or shot at, them. From all the info that I've read and heard (a substantial amount), MANY ("experts")recommend the spray as anoverall better deterrent. Definately, it would be lighter to haul around.

bugs11 07-28-2006 12:29 PM

Where, exactly, does one purchase a can of "Grizz-G-Gon" pepper spray? The local Walmarts don't seem to stack such items here in the docile flatlands of the Upper Mississippi valley.

-Bugs

hillbillyhunter1 07-28-2006 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: bugs11

Where, exactly, does one purchase a can of "Grizz-G-Gon" pepper spray? The local Walmarts don't seem to stack such items here in the docile flatlands of the Upper Mississippi valley.

-Bugs

UDAP Magnum Bear Spray with Holster

Cabelas--$50.00---you want to get thebig bottlebottle--:D:D

losthwy 07-28-2006 03:13 PM

The rangers at Yellowstone National Park use the pepper spray and if in Griz country again I would carry it. I've tested it a few times and it even looks nasty, make sure you are spraying down wind. I talked with prison guard here in Colorado and he informed me they use it as well. Once he got "a little" under his masked and the description of the effects was something I would not want to experience.

ELKampMaster 07-28-2006 08:08 PM

If no bear problems, then no side arm for me. If bear problems, then would probably opt for bear spray instead and try to keep the rifle close. The weight of a side arm, especially one that will do any real good is just too obnoxious. In our main camp we keep a 12 gauge police slug gun hung in the kitchen and I sleep with a 44mag stainless IN my sleeping bag--- don't pack iton the trail or to spike camp though.

Generally, IMHO, elk hunting is acontest between your preparedness, will, and spirit on one sideand cold, weariness, impatience, distraction, energy loss, sleep deprivation, soreness, and pain on the other side.Packing a pistol just seems to hurt more than it's worth---- every ounce counts.

Elkcrazy8 07-28-2006 11:42 PM

I always have a 44 magnum with me now. I hunt wild country with sticks and sometimes will crash out under a tree if I am in the elk. I have my pistol handy if a bear wants to share my food.

MinnFinn 07-29-2006 07:17 PM

Though I've hunted several years in western WY where there are grizzlies, thank God we've not encountered any. Hope not to either.

We didn't have pepper spray before. But bought some since the last trip and will likely carry it on me.

However, the last time we hunted on top of a mountain with the wind gusting over 35 mph, I thought in such case it would be pointless to try to use the spray unless the bruin is directly down wind. Otherwise, pray that the .300 WM would do enough to turn him back or stop him.

stinkbelly 08-02-2006 08:36 AM

Just this weekend I pulled my sidearm on a bear on a scouting trip. I will always have one with me.

James B 08-07-2006 11:39 AM

The Taurus Ultralite 44 Mag weighs only 26 OZ and loaded with 300-320 grain LBT bullets, is much better than nothing. Thats why I bought mine. Portable Power. The Ruger Alaskan would be another good choice although its heavier.

early 08-07-2006 06:20 PM

i hunt elk during rifle season in Colorado. i carry a side arm while hunting, packing out my carcass, in camp, and i have one or two handy while sleeping or relieving myself at night.

in the past i have not carried a side arm, but now i hunt alone more than b4...

do i need one?????????????????? no i do not. i seriously doubt i'll ever need a gun for anything at anytime. but having one handy comforts me to a degree.

early

laufer303 08-08-2006 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: early

i hunt elk during rifle season in Colorado. i carry a side arm while hunting, packing out my carcass, in camp, and i have one or two handy while sleeping or relieving myself at night.

in the past i have not carried a side arm, but now i hunt alone more than b4...

do i need one?????????????????? no i do not. i seriously doubt i'll ever need a gun for anything at anytime. but having one handy comforts me to a degree.

early
same here!! never went to the mountains without revolver, especially when with kids.