Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270 too small?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody seen this video?
Nothing is expressed or implied by this posting.Since even the 30-30 has been mentioned,I put this here for viewing entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZsgwPlLM0 Advance to 24:30 to move into the shooting scene.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 05-12-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: trouble w/link
Old 05-09-2012, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

It makes sense that a local would hunt with any old gun he has handy.

But, suppose you work hard, plan, save, scrimp to pay for a once-in-a-lifetime moose hunt (about $5k, all expenses). Does it really make sense to show up under-gunned? A .270 will do the job, so will a .22LR if your "placement" is correct. I'd get a .300 mag, and sell it once the trip was over.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
It makes sense that a local would hunt with any old gun he has handy.

But, suppose you work hard, plan, save, scrimp to pay for a once-in-a-lifetime moose hunt (about $5k, all expenses). Does it really make sense to show up under-gunned? A .270 will do the job, so will a .22LR if your "placement" is correct. I'd get a .300 mag, and sell it once the trip was over.
So your stalking around the edges of the marsh and Behold!!!! A giant of a moose steps in between two thickets of brush. You have less than five seconds to throw that firearm up get on target to take your moose down. Oh no you didn't own the rifle long enough to familiarize yourself with it. You now have a tang safety and you threw your gun up and begin to test the tensile strength of the trigger. As you look down to see what in the world is wrong with this non firing rifle your moose moves on to another happy hunter a few hundred yards down the path. Could cost you the hunt of a lifetime bringing something you know a little about instead of bringing a rifle that fits like a glove in your hand. There's a few more points I could stress on but I think most get the idea. I watch this year after year with elk hunters I'm sure it happens in the moose world too.

You are sitting at home so excited to go on your moose hunt. You start watching moose hunting videos on TV. Watching moose hunting videos on TV you start to believe these guys are expert moose hunters. Expert moose hunters on TV tell you that you need a new ultra mag rifle for moose. You buy a new ultra mag rifle for your moose hunt. Your gun kicks so hard you develop a life long squinty eyed look. DON'T DEVELOP A LIFE LONG SQUINTY EYED LOOK.....
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Blackelk
So your stalking around the edges of the marsh and Behold!!!! A giant of a moose steps in between two thickets of brush. You have less than five seconds to throw that firearm up get on target to take your moose down. Oh no you didn't own the rifle long enough to familiarize yourself with it. You now have a tang safety and you threw your gun up and begin to test the tensile strength of the trigger. As you look down to see what in the world is wrong with this non firing rifle your moose moves on to another happy hunter a few hundred yards down the path. Could cost you the hunt of a lifetime bringing something you know a little about instead of bringing a rifle that fits like a glove in your hand. There's a few more points I could stress on but I think most get the idea. I watch this year after year with elk hunters I'm sure it happens in the moose world too.

You are sitting at home so excited to go on your moose hunt. You start watching moose hunting videos on TV. Watching moose hunting videos on TV you start to believe these guys are expert moose hunters. Expert moose hunters on TV tell you that you need a new ultra mag rifle for moose. You buy a new ultra mag rifle for your moose hunt. Your gun kicks so hard you develop a life long squinty eyed look. DON'T DEVELOP A LIFE LONG SQUINTY EYED LOOK.....

LOL....I've been on two moose hunts (Newfoundland), neither time did it play out like this. Actually, both camps I hunted in REQUIRED that you don't have a shell in the chamber until you are ready to fire, pretty hard to miss a target the size of a steer. It's big country, and there is no other "happy hunter" for miles. But thanks for playing.

Wading 50 yards into a cold marsh to retrieve a 1000# trophy without a winch or vehicle to tow with because you decided to see if your deer rifle was up to the task doesn't strike me as particularly smart. Don't show up undergunned, and take some time to get familiar with your rifle folks, this isn't rocket science.

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 05-10-2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk

This chit just gets funnier and funnier. WOW! Just WOW!! LMFAO!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Spike

Default Not too small

I agree with Stubblejumper. I've shot two moose and about a dozen elk (more cows than bulls) with my old .270 ADL. Both moose went down within fifty yards. In my experience elk are much tougher, but still OK with the .270. You'll want to wait for a heart/lung shot if possible.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a dozen plus elk with my 'ol .270 and I guess I got bored just going out and shooting and killing elk, so now I carry a sharp stick and string. Makes it a little more challenging.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Spike

i think a barnes ttsx bullet with a mv of 3000fps would penetrate as good if not better than a 150gr np. i have shot them clean thru 1/4 inch tempered steel at 100yds- just for kicks. and have put them clean thru both shoulders of a white tail with drt (dead right there)results.a hole thru both lungs is all it takes. good luck hunting and don't under-estimate the 270win.