Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270 too small?

Old 07-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 270 too small?

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

HFF, look at what the rest of the world uses to hunt similar sized and tough animals (6.5X55mm, 7mm Mauser, .303 Britt, etc...)and you will quickly realize that Americans are about the only ones that are hung up on 'needing' magnums to kill animals.
That's good!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 PM

I wonder how many people who voice an opinion have actually killed a moose, or even packed one out?

The thing is, a .270 WILL kill a moose, without a doubt. The other thing is, it takes a lung shot moose about five minutes to bleed out and die. In that five minutes, that 1400 lb moose is going to go where they always go when they get in trouble -- WATER!

You are going to have a bugger of a time breaking a mature bull down with a .270 if you need to in a hurry. You may have one shot to get him down FAST. Personally, I would bring an .30-06 or larger.

Just as an afterthought, a co-worker of mine used to guide up here. One time, a woman client refused to shoot anything larger than a .270 on a grizzly hunt. He was young, and against his better judgment allowed it. She got her bear, but it was pretty bad on both him and the bear. He calls that one of his dumbest mistakes ever as a guide.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Fork Horn

AlaskaMagnum has a point. Robert Raurk killed cape buffalo with an 06. So it can do the job. But would you really want to be the trigger man on that job? I have seen Elk that were killed with a 250 Savage. I read in a book KILLER BEARS that an Inuitup in Alaska killed a Grizzly with a .22LR. He didn't have a choice but, MAN!!! I would go with a 30-06 at least for Moose. Hornady Light magnums are stepping on the heels of the 300. Win. Mag. And you don't want to swim after him. But if it is what you have at hand, it will do. But use good ammo with a quallity bullet, and make that shot count.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you own a larger caliber rifle? Use it. If not? Yes the 270-winchester will kill a moose. BUT why use a 270, when there or better calibers for the job?
My wife killed her moose with a 300-win mag. Would the 270-winchester have worked on her moose? Yes. Did she trust her 270-winchester, when she already owned a 300-win mag? NO. She shoots her 300-win mag very well. She has killedtons of Antelope, Whitetail,Mule deer, Elk & 1-Bull Moose. With her 300-win mag. She has also killed several animals with her 270-Winchester. The 300-win mag, just kills them deader.

As a side note I found out why they call a moose tag a once in a lifetime tag. The answer is simple, once you pack one out you will never want to do it again.[:-]
Old 07-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

As a side note I found out why they call a moose tag a once in a lifetime tag. The answer is simple, once you pack one out you will never want to do it again.[:-]
A common saying where I live is that the best moose to shoot,is the one where you can get a truck closest to.The last bull that I shot,I drove my truck to within 50ft.The one before,I was able to driveright up to the animal.Sometimes it pays to hunt moose in December after the ground is frozen.My partners last moose was killed last September and we were able to get the truck within 40 yards of the bull.No more chasing bulls in the swamps for me.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to Newfoundland last October. The guides there said that the .270 and 30.06 are the most popular cartridge used up there for moose by the locals. They don't use the big magnums. Shells are too expensive.

Alaskan moose are much bigger than Newfoundland's moose, though.
I used a 30.06 with 180 gr. Accubonds.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 PM

a moose can be taken with almost any gun. the question is what will do the job right. You are faced with an ethical question here, and it is your responsibility to respect the animal enough to make the cleanest kill possible. while this is possible with a .270, the slightest error in shot placement could leave you tracking a wounded animal and perhaps not finding it. Personally, i would recommend at least a .300 just to minimize any risk of loosing an animal.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

HFF, look at what the rest of the world uses to hunt similar sized and tough animals (6.5X55mm, 7mm Mauser, .303 Britt, etc...)and you will quickly realize that Americans are about the only ones that are hung up on 'needing' magnums to kill animals.

An interesting disownment.

The United States sits at the forefront of firearm and cartridge development just as the Brits did before us early in the last century before the torch passed to us. No other country canmatch theU.S. firearms industry forsport hunting cartridge development; nor the total numbers of hunters; nor the total number of hunters who can afford to hunt big game world wide.

Some of the aforementioned folks fromother countries where firearm ownership is restrictedand hunting way be on the wanemay tend to justget by with what they've got or whats been handed down(like many in the USA even); however, as a group, the big game hunting contingent (notdeer)from America is pressing forward intothe new century. Theyvastly dominate the Big Game Huntingnumbers across the world. These hunters typically bring their "best game to the table" by utilizingrobust cartridges and capable rifles and quality optics and leavingthe more mediocre/"just get by"stuff at home.

Laggards frequently decry the changing of the times; however, the times are indeed a changing as polls show. The folks that once thought the 38-55 and 44-40 were the hot stink probably were all bent out of shape about the new fangled 30-06 (1906) and 375 H&H(1912) both of whichare now classic benchmarks.

For the most part the American hunters that are leaving the local deer patch to step uptheirlevel of playare also stepping up to more robust weaponry. IMHO, if you have witnessed the difference in the immediate "effect of bullet on impact"upon manyof thelarger game animals,then there is noneed to ponder why this very real trend is continuing.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I haven't hunted moose, I have had the opportunity to hunt elk on two occasions. Granted not a lot of experience, but I certainly did my homework. My collection already included a 35 Whelen, 2 30-06's, and a 307 winchester. The addition I made was a Ruger all weather s/s synthetic in 270 WSM 22" barrel. Nice and light and with the addition of the Decelerator recoil pad it really tames the felt recoil with the 150 gr loads. Although I have settled on the 140 gr accubond chronied at 3075 fps. These are my handloads, though I'd imagine a 130 gr partition would be up to the task. I suggest practice, practice and when you think you doing pretty well, practice some more. Who knows the triple shock, A-frame and failsafe have excellent reputations for deep penetration. Oh yeh, on a side note my bullet selections would have been for the 270, a 150 gr of premium construction like the partition, failsafe etc. you have to see which shoots best in your gun, for the 06 wouldhave been a 165-180 gr, again of premium construction, for the Whelen, the 225 gr partition is really hard to beatwithouth having to move up to the 250's or hard cast.Now with all that being said if I were to buy a gun for the moose hunt specifically I would do some homework and speak to the outfitters if that's how you doing it. They can give valuable insight as to the shooting conditions that you'll encounter and will often make a recomendation. Like BigBulls said the standards in Europe are the same cartridges that have been around for over a hundred years like the 6.5x55, 7x57, etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Spike

I'm going this fall to Quebec with my .270win and using 150gn Nosler partitions. My Tikka Lite shoots 1" groups at 200yards with the NP. I guess it's now up to me and a little luck. I do have a Tikka Lite in .308win but I just like the way the .270 shoots.

Quick Reply: 270 too small?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.