HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Shipping Meat Back via airlines (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/147769-shipping-meat-back-via-airlines.html)

rebuilder44 07-12-2006 07:25 PM

Shipping Meat Back via airlines

I have a Elk Hunt booked in Octoberand was thinking about flying. Has anyone flown and brought back the meat and horns and is it expensive? Don't know how to go about bring it back. I've calledthe Airlines and they can't tell me a thing. Would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this subject.

Thanks

270sniper 07-12-2006 07:54 PM

RE: Shipping Meat Back via airlines

This is what I did 2 years ago when I shot my elk in Montana. We had it butchered & packed in six - 70 lb boxes. The airlines charged us about $70, a box to load on the plane. I read somewhere that you could stuff all your frozen meat in a golf bag and the airlines would not charge you extra for the weight.

The guide built a box & shipped my antlers whole, with out splitting them for $80. and he didn't charge me, because we gave him oneof our harvestedelk for the winter.

doubleA 07-12-2006 08:07 PM

Last year international flights you could have 2 checked bags not to exceed 70lbs each but that has changed to 50lbs.

Most airlines allow 2 checked bags at 50lbs ea, a carry on and a camera purse etc. Anything over 50lbs there is an additional charge.
The airlines allow extra checked bags but it's not cheap. $80-$90 per bag and the same rule applies, if it's over 50lbs you pay more.

Here lies the problem, I fly quite a bit on hunting trips. I have a big Cabela's bag I pack with clothes/gear. That's one checked bag....so whether it's a bow case or a rifle case,that's another checked peice of luggage. So before you even get to where you are going you are maxed out as far as luggage.
I have only brought back capes and antlers and always left the meat with the outfitter. A big rubbermaid tote works well. The 50lb weight restriction is tough, especially when you are carrying heavy/bulky winter clothing.

I would think that there are better ways to get the meat back home such as some type of motor freight over flying it home. I have had 3 deer lost on the airlines not to mention countless baggage.( deer arrived either the next day or day and a half later)

I hope this makes sense and helps.....

Buckshot 07-13-2006 07:35 AM

Wasent there a big thread on exactly how to get your meat and rack back on an airplane? I did a search butcouldnt find it.

Lovesoutdoors 07-13-2006 08:06 AM

On our way back from Newfoundland last fall we basically were charged $100 for every extra box brought back. 1 box meat, 1 box capes, horns (we tied two together) = $300 extra. We split this between two of us.What airlines are you using? Check their web site. They may have a section on there on bringing game meat and horns.

feddoc 07-13-2006 12:03 PM

Several years ago I had to fly from Oakland back home to CO just to be there in time for opening morning. After I killed my bull, I bought four coolers at Wal-Mart, then processed my meat and put it in the coolers.

I put a couple of packages of dry ice on top, used duct tape to seal the edges, then used fiberglass re-inforced tape to make sure it did not come open. Airlines told me upfront that they could not insure it since the packages were not locked. I called my insurance company who said they would cover it. All worked out ok....can't remember how much extra they charged.

doubleA 07-13-2006 12:52 PM

The airlines I use to travel no longer will accept dry ice. Just mentioned that....you might want to contact your airlines on their regulations. I use United, Northwest, Contenetal, and Southwest alot and they all have pretty good websites that have the do's and dont's if you ae interested. You are doing the right thing in trying to find answers now.....the last thing you want is to have hidden surprises when ya go to the counter[8D]All in all, it's going to cost you some funds to have any meat/capes/antlers shipped to your home.

iloveto4x4innc 07-13-2006 02:33 PM

Figure out how much extra it's going to cost you to ship the meat/horns back via the airline, then figure out if it's cheaper to just drive out there and back. I don't like the hassle of checking guns/dogs/kids/meat in the airport so I just drive. I can make it from Raliegh, NC to Salida, CO (2100 miles) in about 22hrs driving traveling with a 5yo and a Lab. I make sure the meat's frozen hard, pack it in the coolers and throw some dry ice on top. Only had some thaw on me once (I don't think it was frozen good to start with), but we ate it as soon as I got home so it wasn't wasted.

My fuel bill round-trip is $4-600 depending on fuel prices at the time. And I sleep in the truck at rest areas so I don't have to pay for a hotel.

Howler 07-13-2006 06:51 PM

On my AK. trip two years ago, I had my moose processed in Anchorage and then shipped to CO. in freezer boxes. Cost me about $.90/lb. to ship. I only had about half the meat shipped, left the other half for my sister and brother-in-law to eat in Anchorage. Also had the taxidermist work done up there, and then shipped down, that cost me more than the meat did. It took about 3 days for the meat to get here, from point A to point B, BUT amazingly it was still mostly frozen!
For the most part, dry ice isn't allowed on airlines, as checked luggage or otherwise!
Another option might be to use coolers as your luggage on the trip out, then simply box your clothing and ship it back home and put your meat in the coolers as check in luggage and take the meat home with ya, as long as it's frozen. That's the hardest part of taking the meat with you, is getting it frozen for the trip, if you don't have a couple of days after the hunt before your flight home! I guess, if the trip was quick enough, the meat wouldn't have to be forzen, BUT it hadn't better leak either!

dayna0306 07-13-2006 08:15 PM

I shiped the antler home in a boxafter spliting the skull via ups. out of dillingham ak. or anywhere then ,I filled the box up with all my cloths,tents sleeping bag and everything I could it cost $160 . The cape goes in trash bags and a wax fish shipping box as luggage,one time I carryed a carabou cape in my carry on { fur coat if asked,raw}the meat I brought home the same way as the moose cape.I payed for 2 extra bags, the meat was cold and it stayed plenty cold for the flight home maybe 10 hours. I drive out west because I want all my camping stuff and a quad ,so you and your buddys can go in two dirctions. Good luck from Pa.