Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I won a Utah Elk hunt!

Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I won a Utah Elk hunt!

About a month back i sent information in to hunt of a lifetime which is a organization that grants disabled or terminally ill kids the hunt of their dreams if they meet their requirements. Since i am a disabled young hunter only being 19 I figured i'd give it a shot. I was recently notified that they want to send me on a all expense paid elk hunt in Utah at big canyon outfitters. I am happy beyond belief. You can't wipe a smile off my face . I am going to be in contact with the outfitter again tomorrow to make the hunt date and really find out where they are located and get the specifics. When i called him back he was leaving to go to mexico deep sea fishing for a week. Must be nice! I was just wondering if anyone from here has ever hunted elk in utah before? What kind of hunting should i expect? Is the elk herd there flourishing? What kind of terrain does utah offer? Thanks if anyone could help me out i'd be grateful. I'll keep you all posted after i talk to the outfitter again. Thanks.

I was just in contact with the outfitter. It sounds like a awesome deal. They have 10,000 acres which is small by western standards i guess. My hunt is going to be 5days consisting of spot and stalk with the help of a polaris ranger to do the spotting, and hunting over water holes. The guide claims they are still bugling at that time of the year. The outfit only takes 3 or 4 hunters a year and the quality is supposed to be great. He said the bulls they take are all 5 or 6 point bulls. He claims all the hunters take their bulls usually within the first 2 or 3 days of the hunt.The terrain is mainly mountainy but trails give them access to the whole ranch with the rangers. I can't wait this sounds like a awesome trip. I am going to be in contact with the outfitter again here very soon to make some more arrangements.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:14 PM

Default RE: I won a Utah Elk hunt!

Congratulations! You've definitely won something to be excited about. We've got lots of elk and some spectacular bulls out here. The country is gorgeousand Big Canyon Outfitters are great people. Get ready for a hunt of a lifetime!

When is your hunt scheduled?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey congratulations and good luck!! You must be on a cloud 9! I know very little about Elk hunting only what I read and what I see on TV.WIth what little I am aware of I am of the impression that Utah is a great Elk hunting state.You could either go on their fish and game site and look up harvest statistics for the unit you will be hunting in,or go on the RMEF site (Rocky mountain elk foundation)if you weren't familiar,and email them.They may be able to shed some light on it for you.
Congratulations again!Please share your pictures with us.I certainly hope you take an animal but the main thing is the experience!Have a great time!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:58 AM

Thats awsome man!!! Keep us updated on things. Sounds like they have some quality bulls on the ranch to! You are one lucky duck!!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations! Make sure you take a digital camera and get lots of pictures. We want to see them.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 PM

I followed your "elk rifle" thread over under the "guns" section with great interest, but haven't seen any response or follow up past the initial post, so....

What kinda stick you going to carry to this party?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure going to talk to a gunsmith tomorrow see how big he thinks i can go with a break and recoil pad and keep it down around 243 recoil. Im going to go as big as i possibly can. Id like to have a 30-06 if its possible.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 PM

Have youshot big game with a rifle before?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot15 whitetail deer and a wild boar.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

YOU'll DO Great!!!!!! just get in some practice with what you chose (the bigger the better, but make sure you can manage it and shoot comfortably (you knew that already))

I am very happy for you. Elk Hunting is totally awesome and absorbing.

Please keep us informed about EVERYTHING

hb