Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Your view on elk

Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 AM

Default RE: Your view on elk

Bowhunting:
I know people back home snickered at us when we came home with Satalite bulls.4x4 and 5x4 not huge but trophies in my mind.They don't understand the work involved.I think for the Time , Travel , work and money my partner and I invest, any legal bull is a trophy. Hell any Elk with a Bow is a Trophy!! Meat in the freezer is a big prioroty along with getting a close encounter

I told myself last year I would be picky but being on puplic land and calling a bull in 11 yards broadside....I could not resist

I agree with Kevin
Old 06-14-2006, 03:48 PM

Change your choice of weapon from whatever you use to a recurve or longbow - shooting instinctive - and shooting a little buck will tickle you to death.

I trad hunt elk - any legal elk is a trophy for me, DIY hunting in OTC units
Old 06-14-2006, 10:40 PM

WEll said big redporker, longbow here, any elk will be a trophy for me...
Old 06-15-2006, 08:43 PM

I have a "rule" when elk hunting: Never pass on an animal the first day that you would shoot on the last day. It has served me well!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

"I have a "rule" when elk hunting: Never pass on an animal the first day that you would shoot on the last day."

I agree 100%. I learned that one the hard way.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: bob roberts

I have a "rule" when elk hunting: Never pass on an animal the first day that you would shoot on the last day. It has served me well!
words ta live by

early
Old 06-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

A 250 class elk tastes just as good as a 450 class elk.

It's sad to see new elk hunters worry about S.C.O.R.E. rather than hunt techniques, gear, rifles, and elkology.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:03 PM

if you want meat any elk is good you can't eat horns for meat hunting smaller younger elk are the best eating the big bulls i have ever had the privlage to eat have been better turned into jerky not very good to eat
Old 06-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Depends entirely on where the tag is. I was fortunate to draw one of only 9 nonresident archery bull tags in Nevada this year. You can bet it won't be hangin on a raghorn, no matter what it tastes like. I'll be lookin 380"+.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

To me any legal elk is a good elk. However with an average of 6 guys in our elk camp (one week hunt), I will not personally shoot a spike(legal in our season)when we have meat on the pole already. Our camp rules are to pool the meat with those present during the harvest so I see no need to get greedy and just fill a tag because I can. So it really depends where the opportunities lie for me, in the past 5 years I have been forunate to harvest5 elk, none where spikes but none real pure trophies either! I am just thrilled to hunt elk yearlyand let the cards fall where they may.

Quick Reply: Your view on elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.