Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 side arm for bear hunting???? >

side arm for bear hunting????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

side arm for bear hunting????

Old 06-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: side arm for bear hunting????

In FL, it's illegal while archery season. During General Gun, it would have to be .44 mag for me.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

I carry a side arm when bow hunting,I carry a S&W 41 mag or my Ruger 44 mag.I to hunt the cross over area's here in Montana,whether it's the Bob or the Gallitan it don't matter.I also carry one for cat's and meth burners in the mountains.I don't so much carry it to stop a bear,but while it's dragging my carcass around I hope to get a shot.A pistol is a poor excuse to stop a bear,and about the only time is when it's so close,well you might as well hold it in your hands and just befor it plows you over pull the trigger.
I have had 3 bear encounters on bluff's,all three with in a day of each other, it scares the life outa ya.I no longer hunt that area,and a year later a man was mauled and killed in the same area.
BBJ
EXACTLY...who cares whether it is legal or not to carry a handgun while bowhunting...rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If I am in the wilderness and bowhunting with just my wife..the handgun will be there..period.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

tangozulusaid, "...I can't find a single example of a wounded blackbear ever harming a hunter."

I think that is a very bad assumption that I think you're making, for you and anyone who assumes Black Bears, especially wounded ones to be less dangerous than others.

Sure, they are not the size and may not go out of their way to find a hunter or hiker, like some other bigger bear species, but make no mistake, a wounded bear is a wounded bear! Be very careful about ever venturing out after one. It WILL protect itself especially if wounded.

I have talked with several people who had bears come up the trees after them even though they had not yet been shot. Bears that have been around people and eating out of their garbage, feeders, etc. for sometime to some extent lose their fear of man. Those kinds of bears, Black, Brown or otherwise can be dangerous. Don't kid yourself.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

I carry a side arm when bow hunting,I carry a S&W 41 mag or my Ruger 44 mag.I to hunt the cross over area's here in Montana,whether it's the Bob or the Gallitan it don't matter.I also carry one for cat's and meth burners in the mountains.I don't so much carry it to stop a bear,but while it's dragging my carcass around I hope to get a shot.A pistol is a poor excuse to stop a bear,and about the only time is when it's so close,well you might as well hold it in your hands and just befor it plows you over pull the trigger.
I have had 3 bear encounters on bluff's,all three with in a day of each other, it scares the life outa ya.I no longer hunt that area,and a year later a man was mauled and killed in the same area.
BBJ
EXACTLY...who cares whether it is legal or not to carry a handgun while bowhunting...rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If I am in the wilderness and bowhunting with just my wife..the handgun will be there..period.
Hardcore, I couldn't agree more. State law has zero bearing on whether or not I carry a firearm. It is my God given right to carry and protect myself and children, law be damned.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wasn't there a story posted on here last year of a guy back east who approached a wounded black bear and got chewed on? Two years ago, there was a guy here in Idaho who heard his some screaming down the hill, when he got to the kid, a black bear was on top of his son. The guy approached and arrowed the bear off the back of his boy. The possiblility does exist. Though blackies do not have the reputation of a brown bear, they are however wild animals and are highly equipped for ripping you to pieces.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:27 AM

I would feel fine with my 1911 loaded up with some pretty warm 230 grain pills.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:52 PM

I'm with a few others on here S&W 500
Old 06-20-2006, 05:47 PM

There have been people attacked, mauled and killed by black bears in at least 3 provinces that I know of. I also know a very experienced hunter/outfitter who turned just in time to avoid the end of a stalk on him by a large old black bear. Generally they prefer to leave the scene, but a wounded bear is a whole different story. And, despite their size bears move about the most dense undergrowth with amazing silence. I'd say if it's legal to carry a side arm carry what you can confidently use that is big enough. I know up here, the guides can carry a side arm, but they prefer a rifle generally, and usually .338 and over.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

S&W 629 44 mag... Not leagal to carry while bow hunting. But the way I look at it...

I'd rather be cought with it than with out it

While in west Baltimore I'd be packing my Springfield Armory ultra Comp
Old 06-21-2006, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

He ended up shooting the bear in his underwear standing on his sleeping bag.
Bet that was a sight! Do they wear boxers or jockeys?

Quick Reply: side arm for bear hunting????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.