HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Idaho shed hunter stalked by two wolves! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/138718-idaho-shed-hunter-stalked-two-wolves.html)

idahoelkinstructor 04-04-2006 07:17 PM

Idaho shed hunter stalked by two wolves!

[blockquote]
Article Last Updated: 4/04/2006 01:19 AM Challis, Idaho, man says he was stalked by two wolves The Associated Press , Salt Lake Tribune

CHALLIS, Idaho - A Challis man out searching for shed antlers said two black wolves stalked him, tried to get behind him, and bared their teeth at him before he was able to retreat to his vehicle. ''They had full intentions of coming in to get me,'' Daniel Woodbridge told the Idaho State Journal about Wednesday's encounter. ''They were just waiting for the right time.'' It's the second time in two weeks that a person looking for shed antlers in central Idaho has reported being stalked by wolves. Jason Husseman, a biologist with the Idaho Department of Fish and Game, investigated Wednesday's incident with a wildlife officer. Husseman said the two wolves were part of the Morgan Creek Pack, made up of at least 13 black wolves. He said the pack could be digging dens in the area. Woodbridge said he was looking for antlers in the sagebrush outside Challis near Darling Creek. Deer and elk antlers shed during winter are collected by entrepreneurs for use in dietary and medicinal supplements and decorative furniture. Woodbridge said he had encountered wolves during the winter and never had a problem, so he wasn't alarmed when he saw two black wolves about 100 yards away. Hiking alone and unarmed, Woodbridge said he stood so the wolves could see he was a human, and then tried to get upwind so they could smell him. ''But my scent didn't scare them at all,'' he said. He said when the wolves caught his scent they came forward. Woodbridge said that when they got about 30 yards away he charged toward them, yelling and throwing rocks. He said the larger of the two wolves bared its teeth and howled, and the second tried to circle behind him. The wolves stayed about 20 yards away, Woodbridge said, as he retreated toward his truck. Then he went over a ridge where the wolves couldn't see him. ''As soon as I got out of sight I ran for everything I was worth,'' he said. Woodbridge said that the larger of the two wolves started chasing him when it saw Woodbridge running, and the other wolf tried to get ahead of him in a gully. ''When he saw the truck he slowed down,'' he said. ''He'd look at me and then at the truck like he didn't understand.'' On Thursday, Husseman and wildlife officer Merrit Horsman went to the area and howled, causing the wolves to move toward them. ''They were acting like they did not want us in the area,'' he said. ''So we did a little hazing, walked toward them and ran them out of there.'' He said dens in the area could have caused the wolves' behavior toward Woodbridge. Husseman said he's seen similar behavior while counting pups. ''Basically, they'll just ****** you out of the area,'' Husseman said.

[/blockquote]

idahoelkinstructor 04-04-2006 07:22 PM

RE: Idaho shed hunter stalked by two wolves!

So what do the wolf lovers have to say about this? Dang things make me so mad, you don't know how tempting it is to go for a little walk and just have my gun misfire a few times. Better yet because they are so nice and playful we should gather them all up then drop a few off in each big city around the United States for all to enjoy. Being honest if I have a encounter like that, their will be a dead wolf. And no evidence!!!!! SSS

tsoc 04-04-2006 07:30 PM

I believe that would be bang,bang! Jeez enough is enough.When I was in Idaho this past fall I watched a big male wolf,or I should say we watched one another for about 45 seconds.That wolf was not bothered by my presence in the least,it did not show one ounce of fear.
If an animal follows me and shows any threatening posture it is going to die,end of story.

wyotimberghost 04-04-2006 10:03 PM

The trick is, you have to yell "It's coming right for me!" if anyone is around, then you can blast it and say it was in self defense, and you'll have witnesses hahaha.:D

BareBack Jack 04-05-2006 10:15 AM

SHOOT,SHOUVLE,SHUT UP.

Serioushunter1 04-05-2006 02:59 PM

I ran into a pack of coyotes one time .....they didn't even flinch. No gun No knife. I eased out of the area real soft like never taking my eyes off them. Wolf, Bear, Coyote, Mt.Lion or bigfoot, if I have a weapon and feel threated I would unload it. In a situation such as this it would be better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!

hillbillyhunter1 04-05-2006 07:30 PM

That guy should have had a varmint gun with him. I could hurt some wolves with an ol' bolt action .223.or something handy. Never know, It might just be a big black coyote (if you know what I mean:D)............I forgot where I buried it though;):D

wyotimberghost 04-05-2006 08:20 PM

That would be a good time. I don't own a varmint rifle so I was thinking more along the lines of seeing how big a hole I could make with my 7mm Rem Mag.:D

EricH4964 04-05-2006 11:11 PM

I live in the Adirondack Mountains in Upstate, New York, in a town of a couple hundred people. If you walk west out of my yard it is 30+ miles to the nearest road. The state claims there are no wolves or mountain lions up here yet everyone knows they are here.

Two years ago a guy got one in his coyote set and when he called a game warden (Environmental Conservation Officer -ECO- up here) the ECO told him that he couldn't seal the pelt because it wasn't a coyote. When the guy asked what he meant the ECO said he would be back in touch within a day or so. Two or so days later a scientest for some government agency and several ECO's showed up. After examining it they told they guy he could either donate the animal to a museum in Albany (state capitol) or be arrested for possessing a wolf. When he asked if it was a wolf they said no. Obviously the guy donated it. This story was in the county newspaper.

Last year the same paper ran a story of a guy in PA who shot a 'coyote' while deer hunting. He happened to shot a small buck that day also that field dressed at 110 lbs. The paper printed the picture of both animals laying side by side and the 'coyote' was every bit as big as the deer was. Again, the PA game wardens came in and said it wasn't a wolf because wolves don't exist in this part of the country then confiscated it.

I've heard similar stories with mountain lions that have been struck by vehicles. The state refuses to admit they are here. I happen to work in law enforcement up here and I tell you what, if I get called to a car accident with a wolf or mountain lion you can bet your bottom dollar I am taking photos, hair samples, measurements, etc. before the higher ups arrive and confiscate the thing. I've found tracks of both while deer hunting the past couple of years. It is only a matter of time before similar incidents as the original post happen here. As far as I'm concerned, if the animals don't exist here then they can't be protected. If they can't be protected they can and should be shot if they threaten anyone.

ShatoDavis 04-06-2006 10:39 AM

Missouri's conservation department is just as thick headed. Videos of Moutain lions walking through peoples back yards isn't enough to convince them. And Trail camera taking pictures of black bears isn't an effective argument either.

As far as the wolf problem, I think that the SSS is more than justified.
Why is that If someone threatens me and I feel my life is in danger I am justified in using deadly force to thwart the would be attacker but that isn't the case with wildlife?