Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

footwear for WY. elk

Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 PM

Default RE: footwear for WY. elk

My two cents . . . First consideration is weight. A light boot is important when you might be hiking up & down mountains miles a day. Second, goretex. Keep your feet dry. You very likely will step in a creek or bog of some kind and I;'m sure you know what it's like to walk around in wet boots. I don't put near the importance on thinsulate as some of the other guys. Good socks, dry feet, they stay warm bow hunting September. It is always likely to snow while out there, but I'd rather have light weight dry boots and take my chances. Boots that come with the first two features AND thinsulate . . . buy them!
Remember, walking sucks with blisyters, it can ruin a good time.
And bring a big gun. .30 cal or bigger.

One more thing . . . if you aqre already in a cold climate and own some Sorrels, bring them, just in case!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:03 PM

Dont make the same mistake another greenhorn did on their first elk hunt out west (CO) and wear a pair of knees high rubber farm boots to keep the scent down! I guess that is why we live and learn!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:51 AM

Speaking from bad experience, I finally went and bought some 400g Danners and went the whole season with-out foot ach.

Danners all the way!!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:00 PM

Whatever boot you decide on make sure that they are well broke in before going to the mountains. I seen a fellow at elk camp with a brand new pair of boots and after the first day his feet where a wreck.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:39 PM

thanx to all for the advice, I,ve bought new work boots to replace the Cabelas/Miendls "perfect" hikers I had purchased this springfor work, they will be better used to hunt in They are awesome, way to good for work, I also dusted an old pair of Schnees which are in good shape , except the liners,I tried to dry them last fall on the wood stove,not close ,on the wood stove Phew!!! they did stink!! This is going to be a long summer,
Old 04-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Another boot company worth looking into is Kenetrek. There name isn't well known yet, but they make some fantastic footwear geared specifically toward the western big game hunter. Their pac boots are second to none and their mountain extreme boots that will be available this summer are awesome. I know the owner of the company well, so if you have questions just shout and I can answer or relay them.

http://www.kenetrek.com/
Old 05-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Banned

Danner is my elk hunting boot.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:11 PM

thanx to all for the advice, I,ve bought new work boots to replace the Cabelas/Miendls "perfect" hikers I had purchased this springfor work, they will be better used to hunt in They are awesome, way to good for work, I also dusted an old pair of Schnees which are in good shape , except the liners,I tried to dry them last fall on the wood stove,not close ,on the wood stove Phew!!! they did stink!! This is going to be a long summer,
When you said you had hunted back east, I figured you would have some good footwear to keep warm with. Generally I think Eastern winters are tougher than what we get out West now that the "global warming" thing seems to be moderating things more. Hence I'm betting you got the "stay warm" part down pat. It also sounds like your work situation is a good environment to get your boots broke in and you are in tune to that.

The part you may not take seriously that is still quite important is a good warm weathershoe/boot. I hunt the same season and it can get down right warm, even hot. Take a light weight, non-insulated pair of something with you and don't be afraid to use it if the weather allows for it. My hunting partner either wears tennis shoes or sorels, usually the tennis shoes the last few years --- it's been warm.

As has been mentioned before, especially in an early season like yours, try to have something along that is light weight. Half of elk hunting is managing energy consumption and heavy boots can really drain you.

Personally my favorites are a pair of very light weight Goretex Danners although I do have a pair of LaCrosse's and a pair of Sorelsfor when it is absolutely hideous outside.

Note: Bring your moose field dressing equipment.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Best source for Mens Large Size Hunting Boots sizes 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18+ up to EEE

You can always tell Adrian from XLfeet.com what you need and he will track it down for you 99% of the time. He has large feet and wears Big mens boots size 16 EEE.

He is going to be your best source for plus size work, hiking, firefighter, HazMat, motorcycle, police, and tactical footwear sizes 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and larger in wide and extra wide up to EEE. He has access to steel, composite, and non safety toe boots too.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

As stated above, there are a number of proven, quality boots. I prefer Vasque. Our feet are not universal. I've heard some say Danners are fantastic. I've heard a few say they were awful. I don't think there is a question that Danner makes quality boots. They didn't fit my feet well so I don't wear them. In most elk country you will be side hilling and putting a number of odd twists on your feet and ankles. Make sure what you get lend good support to arch and ankle, are comfortable, sturdy, and waterproof. I strongly recommend you try on until you find and prove a pair before ordering from elsewhere.