Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wolves: Tell Me Again Why It Was A Good Idea..... >

Wolves: Tell Me Again Why It Was A Good Idea.....

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolves: Tell Me Again Why It Was A Good Idea.....

Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wolves: Tell Me Again Why It Was A Good Idea.....

He may get to see what wolves can do. CO is considering drop-shipping wolves into Rocky Mtn National Park. Tons of food, full protection from hunting, can you say by-by elk!!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:28 AM

Man, they must have some real geniuses in CO too! Not only do they have Alaska for and example, they now also have WY, MT, and ID too. Whatever floats their boat.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

I live in northern MN and they Brought back the wolves here too. I cant stand the critters. They come thru in packs here and if you see wolves you dont see deer they sure put the fear of god into the deer. The DNR tried to tell us there isn't that many but I beg to differ. Theres times when its getting dark and your walking back from your stand and they light up a clear cut kinda makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when your a mile away from the truck with only a bow. If you look the next day you will find a trail down a logging road about 3 feet wide and solid wolve tracks so theres more then a few.We never use to see them but the last few years we have seen alot of them, which in my mind tells me they are multiplying at a rapid rate or becoming less shy either way I dont think it is good. every were you find wolve tracks you find there scat and its all got deer hair in it. Sure we are over populated with deer but for how long will that last if the wolves become even more abundant. I dont mind a few but they do need to manage them.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

I gotta admit I am tired of the wolf issue. Don't get me wrong I try and let my voice be heard at any public meeting where public opinion is asked but I'm flat tired of debating about it. I've realized that as hunters we can all be pretty stubborn in our convictions and sitting here bashing on each other or even debating it is basically pointless.

To me we once killed off all the wolves....that tells me they can be controlled. The problem with wolves in my opinion is all political. The way the reintro happened was a joke and the managment, or lack there of, is the major problem. Wolves are a problem in many areas. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!!! I am not a proponent of erradicating the wolves I think they have a place as long as we manage them for the elk and deer herds to be healthy....blah....blah...blah....

Doesn't matter what I think. What's important is we all have a common ground here and that is that the Fed's have stuck it to the West the reintro and won't let us manage. We all agree on that. It's hard for my friends in Idaho to like wolves when they run hog wild, predate, and have no control. Once you give them power to do something about it the hatred will probably dwindle over time. Who knows but at this point it wouldn't matter all that much what happens to the wolf, because in my state when a real presence shows up if the wolves start being problematic most of us will just take the initiative to take a few out.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Interesting point.... I don't think I would hate them as much if I got to shoot them now that I think about it. Guesse that means I will have a big load taken off of my shoulders once I finally kill one, or two, or a whole pack.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't wait for this!!! Let's see if it will really happen.

http://www.localnews8.com/home/2402006.html
Old 03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

rather be huntin is right on. I agree. They were crammed down our throats, and we were basically told to live with it.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:56 PM

I hopped back into the archives and picked up on one of my favorite stories:

In 1995, when Canadian grey wolves were being captured to send down to Yellowstone an old feller in Hinton, Alberta inquired of the rangers, "So what are you boys up to?" The rnagers responded, "We're capturing these wolves to send down to the states in an attempt to establish a viable population in a few areas down there."

The old man shook his head and grinned, "So those folks down south, do they know what they are getting themselves into with these here grey wolves?" Defensively the rangers replied, "What do you mean?" The old man continued,"Oh, the wolves will get established down therealright and they'll do just fine. Rich land, moderate climate, lots of livestock, plentiful deer and elk; those folks are going to end up with more wolves than they know what to do with! Now whose idea was this again?" Things got quiet, the rangers walked away, "radical" one muttered, "rancher" said the other.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=254231&mpage=2&key=Alberta&# 613414

Then here was a 6 pager FROM 2 YEARS AGO...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=618395&mpage=1

At this time of these threadsmany were pro-wolf and some half pro-wolf (they were confused) and an adamant group of us who were anti wolf. What is amusing to me is the former two (pro-wolf and half-wolf) were hoping the same hopes I hear hoped for now.... the fed's are going to relinquish control, there is going to be a hunting season, management to the states.... uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, .....that could have been written TODAY.

In the mean time, what has happened?
** The wolves? They been a multiplying and they been a spreading. (Enjoying those elk chops)
** The pro wolf folks? More attention to their cause all along, the coffers are getting fuller. Plus now they are suggesting wolves as a solution to overpopulated elk areas like Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park) where of course there is no hunting allowed. In other areas eco-wolf tourism is catching on with folks bringing in some serious dollars.
** The concerned rural public and hunting community? Well.....

From the fed's perspective:
"Heh, heh, heh they are taking our "stalling program" very well, begrudgingly, mumbling and griping, but overall they are takingtheir medicene very well.... all we need is just a few more years, just a few more years....

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be funny.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Idaho, I have lived in Colorado for about 10 years and moved to Alabama just last year for work and have been hunting in Colorado for about 15 years.

Guys don't act like I am advocating having a population of wolves and let them go unchecked. That is absurd and that is the reason so many places are having such a problem with them. In no way would I want wolves reintroduced anywhere with out a good, well thought out, plan to control their numbers as they grew and then to have the plan put into action. This should have been done before a single wolf was reintroduced to any state and it should have been one of the conditions of reintroduction. Wolves absolutely must be controled and they are controlable if the right plans are in place and enforced.

The people that live where they have been introduced have every right to be pissed off about this delima cause the way it is currently being handled it has become a huge angry hornets nest. The government, in their infinite wisdom, basically said .... Here have some wolves. Hope you like them. That's not the way it should have been done.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another thing, when wolves drasticaly reduce deer and elk populations, The anti hunters will not suggest killing the wolves, Instead they will pressure the states to cut back or CUT OUT hunting the deer and elk. Hunting will no longer be considered a harvest to keep populations of game in check. The anti hunters have got to love this farse.

Also the wolves are not going to go hungry. They will turn their attention even more to livestock. OR WORSE. I am not anti wolf but if there will be no control on their numbers then its gotta stop. At some point, ranchers are sure not going to put up with them. Nor should they.

Quick Reply: Wolves: Tell Me Again Why It Was A Good Idea.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.