Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 When a guided hunt falls apart... experience? >

When a guided hunt falls apart... experience?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

When a guided hunt falls apart... experience?

Old 01-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Spike

Default When a guided hunt falls apart... experience?

**WARNING** long read.

Hi everyone, new guy here. I’ve enjoyed visiting this site and reading your stories and your pictures about hunting. I like the group of people who participate here. The open exchange of information and the general upbeat mood of the board is great. Afterfollowing Hunter 59's post I've decidied to leave lurking status and participate. I'm sorry that its an unpleasant topic.

That said, I’d like to hear from anyone who has had a “not so good” experience on a hunting trip that was booked through a booking agent, and how you dealt with it. All names will be held in strict confidence to protect the innocent! I guess the best way to put this is I feel I’ve really gotten the short end of the stick on a recent hunt, but don’t know if I was expecting too much, or this is just the way it is in this industry. So tell me what you think.

First, allow me to tell you a little bit about myself. I’m in my early 40’s and have been hunting since I was 12 years old, not unlike most of you I’m sure. My experience has been almost exclusively on a “do it yourself” basis. I’m the kind of hunter who, when I’m going hunting, I’m going hunting. There’s no such thing as going in too far. Horses are not a problem. Spike camps? Great! Way back in for a week? Awesome! In the last few years I’ve come to a point in my life that I’m finally able to scrape a few dollars together, enough to let someone else take care of all the details associated with a hunt for an animal not accessible close to home. Mind you, this wasn’t a top shelf hunt, but wasn’t bargain basement either. The hunt came to my attention through a friend who had booked the hunt with one of his friends, but ultimately they were unable to go. It didn’t sound like something I was interested in at the time, (Canadian moose, with a bear option) but after a little research, I was interested. The hunt was to be a lodge/cabin based hunt. The actual hunting conducted with the use of riverboats to access the vast river drainage, exclusive to the outfitter. The thought of sleeping in a bed, and having a hot meal and a shower every night didn’t sound too bad either. Something different than I was used to, but hey, it doesn’t sound too shabby I’ll give it a try.

I didn’t want to go by myself, so I presented the hunt to a friend. I gave him all the info I had, website info, and the booking agent faxed him the outfitters brochure. He kicked it around a little, we asked some questions, and decided to go. The booking agent described the actual hunt as it was advertised on his web site. Get up, breakfast, grab a lunch, and go. The boats were parked in the water right in front of the remotely located lodge/cabin and used to access “haunts” where we’d call for bulls. Some hiking, maybe a quad ride here or there, but basically anything it took to get the moose. Come back to the lodge/cabin for a hot meal at night and do I again the next day. This was confirmed with the outfitter in a phone conversation several weeks before the hunt. He said he’d do “whatever it takes” to get us a bull. He said he had boats, quads, and trucks, and would get us to where we needed to be to get our bulls. I was impressed with his gung-ho demeanor, and felt good about having a quality experience. He has enjoyed very high success with his hunts, so I had no reason to doubt his or the booking agents information. I was given references, but didn’t call them, which was a mistake, but ultimately would not have mattered anyway. So if you’re still with me, read on………

A few days before departure the booking agent calls to see if I’m ready to go, if I need anything else, and to wish me luck on the hunt. He tells me that if anything gets screwed up on the hunt, and I’m not happy with the way anything is going with the hunt, let the outfitter know right away, he’ll do what he can to remedy anything that needs attention, or is being over looked. I ask a couple of questions, like how’s the hunting, the weather, etc. and all is good. I ask If there’s any changes I should know about, and this is when he tells me the outfitter bought a new lodge, and it’s better than the last one.

Great! Off we go!

After a couple of little kinks in getting there, we arrive in camp. “Camp” is now a large converted “shed” (with a blue tarp roof because of leaks) in a small residential neighborhood about an hours drive from the outfitters territory. To reach the true boundary of the outfitters territory takes less than an hour, but by no means is it seriously hunt-able. The first hunt-able area takes an hour plus. Road conditions are a factor.

We get the tour of camp. The sleeping arrangements require us to climb a near vertical set of homemade steps into the unheated attic of the shed. Hunters upstairs, guides, downstairs. There’s a couple of out houses, and a self serve shower that consists of a shower stall, a propane burner, bucket, and a solar shower bag to fill with the water you heat yourself.

Chow hall. This would also be the outfitters quarters. All meals in camp are served here. The camp cook, and manager when the outfitter wasn’t around, took residence here. It was a small converted ranch style house, maybe 1000 sq. feet. There isn’t a river, or boat in sight.

Hunting. Hunting was now a road hunt because of the new camp. Day 1 of the hunt was with 2 guides in a 4 door pick up, because the other hunters that were supposed to be there didn’t arrive due to travel difficulties. The territory consists of 3 roads, each about 70 kilometers in length. One stand alone road, a second, and one requiring full travel of the second road to access. At the end of day one we got stuck at the entrance to road # 2, requiring winching to get out. The guides declared the road as impassible and refused to take their trucks past this point for the remainder of the hunt. This left road #2, and #3 unavailable to us unless we walked. This left us with 1 road to hunt. Upon our arrival at camp, the other hunters, of which there are 3 have now arrived. One confides in me that they’re supposed to have the place to themselves, and was rather surprised to see us.

Day 2, the outfitter takes 2 of the new hunters to the area of the original lodge on the river with a quad, and a jon boat with an outboard for 3 days, leaving 1 from their party to hunt with the other guide in our camp, 1 X 1 in the 4 door truck. We get put in the single cab 4wd with our guide. I ask our guide if it would be possible to swap out trucks for comfort sake, to which he says “good idea”, but it never happens, I assume because they’re hired by the outfitter as independent contractors, and use their own trucks. So, we spend our 14 hour days….. 3 big guys in the front seat of a pickup truck, road hunting.

Food. Food was decent when the outfitter was in camp. His wife/cook/camp manager did a decent job when he was there. When he wasn’t there, it was what I could only describe as prison style. When we arrived at camp we HAD to immediately report to the chow hall to eat so she could go to bed. No time to stretch legs, get out of clothing, start a fire, or even drink a beer. If we didn’t, she’d pull the guides aside and give them an ass chewing for not making us come to dinner, IMMEDIATELY. The food, while nourishing, was pathetic. Breakfast was pretty much, “there’s the cereal”. One morning we had muffins on the table that were moldy, which everyone passed on. Hot breakfast came only when the hubby was there, or we saw the hot breakfast leftovers (left over from when the outfitter was in camp) when he wasn’t. One morning she overslept, and blamed it on a power outage that never occurred. Lunch was bologna sandwiches,… every day. And you weren’t allowed more than 1 can of soda. All meals were done as cheaply as possible. The only meat we had was game meat from last year. We saw the same bowl of mixed veggies for 8 days. A little was stirred in each day to make it appear somewhat fresh.

Anyway, back to the hunting. Our guide was very experienced, and had a personality the worked quite well with ours. I really enjoyed his company. About day 3 of the hunt, we finally saw our first moose, but road traffic prevented us from actually calling, or putting on a stalk. The next morning, we spotted a small group of moose across a river in the area and went the half mile or so to the rivers edge to have a better look, and to see if one of the bulls could be called across the river. At the rivers edge, we took up a position to call to the last area the moose were spotted. I had my video camera up and running. A cow appeared about 150 yards down river, but across the river. The opposite bank was a long wide gravel bar that extended 20-30 yards from the waters edge. A shooter bull followed her out and stood on the riverbank behind her for a good 5 minutes. The guide wouldn’t allow my partner to shoot the bull because it was on the wrong side of the river. It would have been an easy shot. We had no way to get to it after it was down. (remember, this was a “riverboat” hunt) We discussed our options, one suggested by the guide, was to offer one of residents in the area $100 to rent their boat to get the moose. Before we knew it, the bull decided he didn’t want to hang out in the open anymore, and retreated into the alders away from the river. We decided that it was worth having the guide call to the bull to draw him across the river and closer to us. After a couple of cow calls, 2 different smaller bulls appeared directly across the river from us and liked what they heard. The guide worked his way a behind us to make it sound like the cow was heading away from them. This worked. The larger of the 2 bulls swam across the river directly towards us. He came ashore about 10 yards downstream of our position. The only problem was, we were on top of a cut bank at a slight bend in the river, approximately 7 or 8 feet above the waters surface. The water was deep right up to the shore because of the cut bank, and the “beach” area was only a couple of feet wide. The moose had no way of getting up onto the bench we were on it was way too steep. He walked along the waters edge at one point just a couple of feet below us and never made an attempt to come up. Had we shot him, and he not instantly collapsed stone dead in his tracks, he would have ended up back in the river, and most likely lost. He decided he didn’t want to be on our side of the river anymore so he swam back across to join the other bull. We watched them for a while from the wrong side of the river at about 60 yards. Got it all on video! The guide decided to move upstream to try to call them across at a point where they could get up on the riverbank. It didn’t work. We bitched to the guide for a while about not being able to take any of the bulls we saw, he understood our frustration and took it all in stride. Best case scenario would have been to locate a boat and get across the river by dark, dress the moose and return in the morning to recover the animal. That night it rained all night and the river was up 5-6 feet from the previous day. I’m convinced the guide made the right call given the circumstances. The rain and swollen river would have surely taken the moose away by morning. That is if a grizzly didn’t get to it first.

Our next day wasn’t too bad. I decided to ride standing in the back of the pick-up so I wasn’t stuffed in the cab with the other guys. It gave us all more room. Around 1:00 as we came over a slight rise, I saw a dark shape on the side of the road about 150 yards ahead. A banged on the side of the cab to let the guide know there was something on the road. A bear. He stopped the truck, took a look through his binoculars and said “shoot that bear”. I exited the truck and shot the bear. Total time elapsed was less than a minute. It was over in an instant. No moose that day.

The next day the outfitter returns to camp and says to me I hear you got a bear congratulations. “That will be $750 U.S. I want the cash now.” I was a little taken aback by his ballsy way of getting his trophy fee and took the opportunity to bring up the shortcomings we were experiencing on the hunt. The fact that there was no boat to be had wasn’t a problem to him. It was our fault. He said we should have shot the bulls, drove back 2 hours to his residence to get a skiff he had at home. Had we done that we never would have recovered the bulls because of the rain. I thought at this point he should have HIMSELF gone and got the equipment necessary to see that this never happened again. He didn’t. Instead, he went to the chow hall to tend to the other hunters who I came to find out, financed the new “lodge” for him. The other lodge on the river apparently was rendered inhabitable by martins over the course of the previous winter.

I realize I’m being pretty long winded here, and will wrap this up. Too many small details that would take entirely too much time here to run through, so I’ll wrap this up.

Any other attempts to communicate with this guy ended with the same lack of resolution. It even turned into him accusing us of being rude. When he would tell us we expected too much, his wife would jump in and pick up where he left off. I couldn’t even get a word in to respond to most of the things they said because of being double teamed by them. My partner had the same problem.

Fast forward to the last day, last hour of the hunt, guide see’s tracks on the road. A mile later, we come up to the bull, he’s on the road, I shoot him. Hunt over.

So, If and when any of you had a hunt go haywire, how did you handle it? Let it slide? Ask for a refund? File a complaint with the outfitters association? Was I expecting too much to expect the type of hunt I paid for? Or, as the outfitter said “ You got your bull, what else do you want?” Should I shut up and be happy even though the outfitted hunt sucked? What say you?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When a guided hunt falls apart... experience?

Wow! You definitely got the short end of the stick. You could just look back and be glad, that you at least got your animals. You'd feel worse if you got nothing to show, after everything you went through. Just be glad its over and let it be a lesson. Next time I'm sure you will really check out the outfitter and call references. They say you learn from your mistakes. Boy, isn't that true? I'm sure that the guide felt stuck in the middle.

You could call and file some kind of complaint if you think it would help you feel better. Maybe if they get enough complaints on this guy, they'll revoke his license or something.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would certainly forward the long winded version of the hunt to the booking agent. He difinately need to know about what happened. If he doesn't answer your concerns to your satisfaction, you might consider posting his and the outfitters name on some outfitter review forums.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, you got what wasn't garaunteed, game in the bag, BUT it sounds like the things that were garaunteed come up way short. I think if the outfitter didn't meet you in the middle on some issues, I'd do my best to get the word out to others to avoid him. Hopefully he uses your name as a reference for future hunters, and when they call you about hunting with him, lay it on the line that you will not, and cannot recommend hunting with him. Other than that, I'd say move on to greener pastures. Do some reference checking before your next hunt.
I got to go on my first big AK hunt 2 years ago, thankfully I have nothing but good to say about my outfitter, and I've had about 5 or 6 other hunters call me about hunting with him since. I've recommended him to all of them. I guess what I am saying is, if your name is a reference for that outfitter that you hunted with, you will have a chance to have an impact on his future clients!
Old 01-28-2006, 05:19 PM

I would like to know who the SOB is so I won't ever book a hunt with him! Please e-mail his name.
[email protected]
Old 01-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definately report himto the board of outfitters in AK and the booking agent and anybody else that will listen if he won't be reasonble enough to see, that things guaranteed and things that actually happened did not mesh, and make some kind of financial or future hunting (not that you'd want that, but it's the least he could do)consideration. Truck hunting in Alaska certainly doesn't sound good to me. Sounds like the guide made a considerable mistake initiallytrying to call those bulls to a place they couldn't come to as well. hunting out of a truck all day is not hard work for even the laziest of guides, so I'd say you didn't get much for your money. moose or no moose

second class outfitters should be weeded out as soon as possible. References are the best barometer...that's your fault. live and learn
Old 01-29-2006, 06:09 PM
RPL

Fishhuntster...I wish that you would do a service to all the readers here and give the name and address of the outfitter that you hunted with so that others will know to be aware of how he operates. That is one of the reasons why sites like Hunting.net are so useful and informative.
Also, you can go to the website listed below and give a outfitter's review. I hope that you do!
http://www.huntinfo.com/reviews/outfitter_reviews.php3

Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 PM

Wow that sounds like a pretty bad hunt. Too bad... Iam glad you tagged out though.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

WOW, sounds a lot like a hunt I when on. I won't get into all my details but I also got my animals but it was from a truck & not like I had hoped. I will for sure ask for a COMPLETE list of all hunters from last year & I will talk to everyone. Ask them how many tags they get& make sure that's how many people are on your list. I don't like suprises, not when my hard earned money is on the line.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 PM

That is terrible. It is sad that there are people like that. As others have said definitly report them to the state outfitters assoc and make it well known to the booking agent how badly the hunt went. Hunts are supposed to be fun and enjoy your hunt to the fullest. Yes, you got your moose but it was not a very memorable experience.

Quick Reply: When a guided hunt falls apart... experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.