Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 When a guided hunt falls apart... experience? >

When a guided hunt falls apart... experience?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

When a guided hunt falls apart... experience?

Old 02-05-2006, 03:00 PM

Default RE: When a guided hunt falls apart... experience?

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but I'd be doing some serious talking with my booking agent if I were you.There are literally thousands of outfitters out there and with the accessability the internet provides, it's easy to get tangled with one of the bad ones. The booking agent should know better though and he should stand behind any outfitter he books hunts with. I'd be looking for my money back.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Spike

Hi guys,
Quick update. e-mailed the outfitter. He acknowledged the bad hunt. Blamed the guide. Everything was the guides fault. No mention of any sort of refund. Said he had lots of deposits.

I'll have more time tomorrow to post more details.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt the outfitter will ever give you any kind of refund? I would chalk this hunt up as a learning experience & move on. You did fill both of your tags. NOT the way you had planned. BUT you did fill your tags.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:23 PM

I put a post on this site some time ago to hear some horror stories. The reason is that ,when I have clients up to hunt or fish with me I can use other peoples past bad experiences and try to nip any problems in the bud. One of the first things I tell my clients is " if there is a problem tell me as soon as possible , telling me on Fri. before you leave is not the time to say something" I take the position that you are paying for what you want and I will move heaven and earth to see that you are happy. Some things that I can not do is make the fish bite or have the bears give a perfect posefor a killing shot. Any one that may have some comments[email protected] .
Old 07-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Spike

RPL, the link to the site you provided finally posted my review.
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:55 PM

I'm curious as to the outfitts name. PM me, or e-mail me[email protected] Its a bad deal when **** like this happens, definatly inform GOABC Did the guide work for him for several years? or was that the first year with them?

Kirby
Old 07-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

fish, I'm kinda in the same boat you were in a few years ago. There's no way I can afford a guided hunt so I do it myself. But I want to as soon as I can afford to.

Thanks for teaching me what to do when I am able to afford a hunt.
Sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way but I'm sure you helped a lot of hunters out with your experience, so maybe that will make you feel a little better.

Good luck and I hope they make it right with you.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:18 AM

Thats why Im so hesitant to do a guided/outfitted hunt... Im not wasting my money on somehunt that turns out to be a nightmare.. These places should know, we come for the experience of a lifetime, not a hard learned lesson.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man that sucks........
I'ma Resident of British columbia and I'm embarrassed....
We offer some of the best big andgame hunts as well as a couple
of dangerous game hunts in the world...
If I was legal to guide anyabody I'd do it for free...
I suck at hosting...
With me its hunt hard while hunting, work hard while packing and take it easy and drink a few while relaxing in camp.
Entertainment is a transistor radio and talking about nothing but BABES,
HUNTING AND FISHING TRAPPING FOR BABES,DEER ELK MOOSE SHEEP
GOAT, COWS...
WE TALK ABOUT RACKS, BIGGER THE BETTER AND THE ONES YOU GOT, AND THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY.....
But at least your memory of harvesting one of our British Columbia Moose wouldn't be shooting was in the middle of the road.
I've done it, but the most memerable ones and thehunts that I'm most fond of are the ones taken in the back country......
Everyone I feel has to have one of those......
Old 07-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

Too bad on the bad hunts guys.
I am an outfitter/guide. I feel very bad for your unfortunate hunts. As an outfitter I highly recommend you take all steps necessary to get the local outfitter board to investigate these outfitters. They should be sanctioned.
While I make it a rule to not tell the truth to my clients it is because I UNDERSELL my hunts some. That way if there are any surprises they are pleasant ones. I will also tell you that we really run a very good operation and to date 100% on filled tags. I do not expect to remain 100% though, that's just not realistic.
That being said, be very careful as a client hunter that you do not build unrealistic expectations of your hunt. Ask lots of questions and be very sure to CALL AS MANY REFFERENCES AT POSSIBLE.
The guys in the previous stories have every reason to be upset and take action to correct it. The booking agent is the one who should have made a better effort after the fact. While it is not his fault the hunts went bad he did take responsibility for that outfitter's actions by booking for him.
Mistakes and accidents can happen in the outfitting business. The real test of character is how the outfitter/guide/booking agent handles unpleasant developments. Wheather it's his fault or not he must take responsibility for the services promised.

Quick Reply: When a guided hunt falls apart... experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.