HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Alaska Caribou (DIY) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/129923-alaska-caribou-diy.html)

AK Jeff 01-25-2006 10:18 AM

RE: Alaska Caribou (DIY)

Nope. Unit 26B is all closed to moose hunting and the more southerly parts of the corridor are all permit draw only.

dayna0306 01-25-2006 04:46 PM

If you want a combo hunt look at unit 17 in 2004 I killed a 58" bull and saw a few bou,my buddy killed a nice caribou bull. I also shot a black bear that tryed to claim my moose while I was buchering it. that hunt cost me two years of saving or around $3000 the air taxi was $2120 round trip out of dillingham divided by 4 of us at that time .I highly reccomend Fresh Water Adventure ,real pros good luck,now I want a goat it may take me three years or four with inflation.

BareBack Jack 01-25-2006 04:58 PM

Thanks guys,
Hey I have a few more questions,I know this was Wolf's post but I'm very intrested in this.
I have a cousin that lives in Anchorage,so I was kinda looking for a hunt out of there,but 17 looks to be a good one.The Alaskan reg say you are allowed in some area's thet you can take 5 bou? Is this true.What othher areas offer a good combo?

Hey AK Jeff I seen in another post you hailed from Eastern MT,what part?Mine come out of Broadus.Great country.
BBJ

AK Jeff 01-25-2006 07:08 PM

You're correct BBJ. Some areas don't have any limit at all and the season is open year round (Kodiak and Adak come to mind). The kicker is that you are required to salvage all edible meat from the field. You could be looking at some serious expense when you add up additional air charter flights and then freight costs from a village hub, and then on to home base. Not to mention caribou tags are running about $325 a pop for non-residents. Very few people, aside from local subsistence hunters, ever take more than one or two at a time because of the added cost and hassle. If you're not worried about your bank account then what the heck, bring lots of ammo.

As far as combo hunts go be sure to do your homework before you commit to one. Remember that moose and caribou generally live in very different habitats. Areas that have both species in concertmight be pretty crummy overall areas for both. Kind of like combining elk and antelope hunting. Sure, they kind of overlap in some cases but it's usually a less than ideal area for one species and potentially both. The best way to combo hunt moose and 'bou is to spend a few extra bucks and a few extra days and move locations. Fly into a good caribou area and focus on them, and then arrange a pickup and fly into a prime moose area and focus on them. Remember that moose densities in AK are very very low compared to lower 48 big game. If you go into an area that's more prone to be caribou country you could really be searching for a needle in the tundra. Remember you can tag a caribou with a moose tag in Alaska, so you can just buy the one tag and shoot either or.

I grew up east of Billings on the Yellowstone. After that I spent four years in Bozeman at MSU. I've been in Alaska ever since. Gotta love that Big Sky State!!!

AK Jeff

Wolf killer 01-25-2006 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Thanks guys,
Hey I have a few more questions,I know this was Wolf's post but I'm very intrested in this.
BBJ
BBJ, You hijacked my post.:D
I am glad you & others are showing some intrest in this post.
I may not make this alaska trip in 2006? I might be moving to Buffalo, Wyoming this summer? I willknow more about that by the end ofnext week. If I do not make the trip in 2006? I will makeit in 2007!:)

AK Jeff 01-26-2006 01:05 AM

Best of luck if you move to the Cowboy State Wolf killer. I bought my dog in Buffalo. I know his short haired butt wishes he was back there today. 48 below in Fairbanks this morning!!!

ArcticBowMan 01-26-2006 09:27 AM

Robert, I'll try and give you a call later on today, if not then tomorrow.

Jeff, it's supposed to be around 63 here today, enjoy the cold! [8D]

Also, regarding the combo hunt, it will be interesting to see what happens with the moose season in unit 20B this year. A combo hunt could be done on the Haul Road/Fairbanks area if the archery area widens. You could start in Fairbanks, head up the Haul Road to bowhunt caribou, then drive back to the Fairbanks area and bowhunt moose once the season opens. Granted you have to move areas, and only hunt one species at a time, but for cost effectiveness, this would be an option to consider. There is also a cow moose draw in the Fairbanks area if you are just wanting to go after a moose and not worried about antlers. There is also not a 50" or brow tine restriction in the 20B.

AK Jeff 01-26-2006 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: ArcticBowMan

Jeff, it's supposed to be around 63 here today, enjoy the cold! [8D]

It's over 100 degrees colder here right now. [&:]

Wolf killer 01-26-2006 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: ArcticBowMan

Robert, I'll try and give you a call later on today, if not then tomorrow.

Jerry, The best way to reach me is my cell phone. Iwill be away frommy email & the huntingnet.starting now until February-3rd.
I look forward to your call.

Take care,

Robert