Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

deer meadow outfitters

Old 12-28-2013, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
The only time I've ever used a guide was when it was required by law.

Its the only time id ever use one also. I don't get that whole "outfitter/ guide" deal.
If you know how to hunt and know how to camp I would rather do a DIY hunt.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jerry d
Its the only time id ever use one also. I don't get that whole "outfitter/ guide" deal.
If you know how to hunt and know how to camp I would rather do a DIY hunt.
***Many times doing a DIY just isn't possible. For instance, a guide is required for a nonresident to hunt the designated wilderness areas in Wyoming and those are some real good trophy areas you can't legally do DIY. Many places also need horses/mules to access the best spots and most people traveling to other states don't have them. Many people hunting other states just dont have the time to scout in order to have a good chance of getting an animal themselves or don't have the other equipment needed. The thing I do dislike is the fact that outfitters have leased millions of acres of private lands throughout the country and then charge an arm and a leg for access when those areas could be done as DIY like the good old days and are now out of bounds to the average guy.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said if required by law then you need an outfitter. The remote area thing...well you can hike it in but getting game out is a whole other story. I guess if a man did a little research you might be able to rent mules and horse.
As far as scouting game to me that's part of the enjoyment of hunting. Hunting is enjoyment until you kill something, that's when the work starts. But still ,to me anyway, that's all part of the hunt.
I guess im just more of a DIY type of hunter. I cant see myself being lead around told which one to shoot , have the guide gut it, quarter it and pack it out.
Now what I see myself doing is a drop hunt. The outfitter supply the equipment and youre on your own. I believe there's an outfitter on this site, Two Bears, that provides that service.
But to each their own, guided just aint for me.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said if required by law then you need an outfitter. The remote area thing...well you can hike it in but getting game out is a whole other story. I guess if a man did a little research you might be able to rent mules and horse.
As far as scouting game to me that's part of the enjoyment of hunting. Hunting is enjoyment until you kill something, that's when the work starts. But still ,to me anyway, that's all part of the hunt.
I guess im just more of a DIY type of hunter. I cant see myself being lead around told which one to shoot , have the guide gut it, quarter it and pack it out.
Now what I see myself doing is a drop hunt. The outfitter supply the equipment and youre on your own. I believe there's an outfitter on this site, Two Bears, that provides that service.

***I couldn't agree with you more on DIY and everything else you mentioned. That's all we do in Wyoming every year and this year alone I helped backack out 5x5 and 6x6 bulls, as well as a big cow that friends shot on DIY hunts I was helping on. Not bad for a 1 1/2 -2 mile hike each trip for a 66 year old bugger! I also did two antelope of my own and helped a friend bring his out, but antelope are pretty easy when one of them is only about half the weight of one elk hindquarter!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-28-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

66! bless your heart, ya got 10 on me !
Old 12-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

66! bless your heart, ya got 10 on me !
***I'd like to give about 10 or 15 of them back and still be retired, LOL!
Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Jerry a lot of our drop camp hunters started on a guided hunt, then went to semi-guided, then started drop camp hunting. Pretty hard for an easterner to get enough field time to effectively call elk, so we teach them during a guided hunt. I guess a lot of people feel like they just come out to kill, not usually the case at all. Archery hunters in particular like to learn, and we enjoy teaching. Kinda an "elk school" where you get to hunt
Old 12-31-2013, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***I'd like to give about 10 or 15 of them back and still be retired, LOL!
I did that, retired at 55 and got the h*e*l*l out of NY!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Spike

This Is Steve Buck again which like I said I hunted Deer Meadows 2013 late September and I posted my disappointment that the owner Scott said he would refund but didnt. Reading all of the input especially from Deer Meadow Victim, Muley Hunter and Top Gun. Sure....... if you only know now what you should have know or did then. I just think the bottom line is the 190" Mule Deer Scott named stickers which I was told not to shoot at was taken approx. a month later. So thats the bottom line here Scott the owner of Deer Meadows wasted alot of my money and time. We can all sit here and go back and forth over ground deer meat meals, guided hunts vs unguided, calling references etc etc etc... people do what they want with the money and time they have and thats AMERICAN.....

My topic is crystal clear there's no 2 sides to the story PERIOD. Scott owner of Deer Meadows owes me a refund its one thing to tell a customer not to shoot because of age/genetics (which is disbutable), but after all that to find out that 190" stickered buck was harversted and Scott posted it on facebook by acident then immediatly removed the picture is pretty dam dirty.

I dare Scott owner of Deer Meadows from Nebraska to respond to this (we all know he follows this Hunting Net), its not right and other hunters should know this story because theres no middle ground to it Deer Meadow Outfitters needs to refund me and make this right. If any hunter need to talk to me 724-437-2211. I had been communicating to my guide Eric until I sent him the picture of 190" buck named stickers that I could have shot he has never responded since so there you go...
Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Steve---We can sympathize with you all we want, and most probably do to at least some extent, but there are usually three sides to a story when problems come up on hunting websites involving outfitter complaints. One is what you say, one is what he will/would say, and then there is the third middle ground that is probably the real story. We don't know either one of you or what the full complete story is, so I do have to say that IMHO you are incorrect when you say there is only your side of it. All I can say is that if you paid what you said for the hunt and didn't have a contract stating that you could only shoot certain bucks that were pointed out to you and not others, then it's your fault that you didn't kill the buck you call Stickers. I would have sent an arrow flying into that buck in a heartbeat and screw the guide's comments if there was nothing stipulating what you could and couldn't shoot. A guide's purpose is to put you on the best animal he can within the limits of the law and then it's up to you to pull the trigger if the shot at an animal you want is presented. If what you say is true, the guide is no better than the outfitter and it obviously sucks, but that buck should have been taken by you and there would have been nothing they could have done about it if there was no contract specifications on what you could or couldn't shoot. I doubt seriously that you'll get your money back, but you can keep trying, but it probably comes down to what you're now doing and that is to alert others like your'e doing about this outfitter. I hope you can work something out in the coming year and that you do have a Happy New Year with this getting resolved to your satisfaction!

Quick Reply: deer meadow outfitters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.