HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Elk Hunting In Colorado No Draw Areas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/128232-elk-hunting-colorado-no-draw-areas.html)

louddrummer69 01-09-2006 09:19 AM

Elk Hunting In Colorado No Draw Areas

Hello, well this is going to be my first elk hunt ever in Colorado and i have a few questions that I bet alot of you have answered before but if your kind enough the info. would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know what unitin Colorado would be a goodplace to get started in, that I could go to every year. I understand that you can't learn about an area unless you visit it continuously so I want an area that is a no-draw rifle area that would be a good place to go each and every year. I understand the physical attributes needed to succeed which isn't a problem b/c I'm a former x-country runner that still runs 35 miles per week. If you could just give me a couple of units that would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody.

coloradoprohunter 01-09-2006 04:29 PM

RE: Elk Hunting In Colorado No Draw Areas

GO BACK TO MISSOURI!jk, i would hunt elk in unit 55. it's big and it's excellent elk country, ask roskoe, he know's more than i do (or does he?jk).

bob roberts 01-09-2006 05:40 PM

most folks are not going to tell you the unit they hunt, and they certainly won't tell you where their honey hole is. one way to develop your own spot is to do the following: you have plenty of time, so start now:
1. get on the co dow site and look for the kill stats
2. pick 2 or 3 gmu's and call the dow
3. ask for the name and phone number of the biologist or unit manager
4. give him/her a call - make a list of all your questions before you call
5. have a map of each area in front of you also before you call.

they know where the elk are and it has been my experience that they will tell you where you should focus your efforts.

case in point - years ago when i started hunting co i did the above, except when i arrived in co (days before opening day) i again called the biologist and offered to buy he and his wife dinner near their residence. he declined the dinner, but invited me to his home with my maps. he pointed out 3 areas, and then numbered them 1,2,3.i killed an elk on opening day at the spot the biologist pointed me to and have killed one every year, in that same area, since. i did this same thing with another bio in another gmu, but haven't hunted that spot yet.you got to do your homework, but the possibility of getting an elk is certainly there. good luck.

setter77 01-09-2006 07:09 PM

I only hunted CO one time in an over the counter elk season, so no way I can tell you where to go but can share a few pointers I learned.

Stay away from the crowds, get back off the roads.

If you are near the roads, travel the roads a little and see where everone else is going, then look for escape routes from those areas, let the other hunters push them to you.

Look where private ground is in your hunting area, elk know where they are safe and that is where they head.

Good luck I enjoyed hunting CO and will go back first chance I get.

louddrummer69 01-10-2006 07:19 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice. I already have the kill stats and have been doing my homework but didn't think of calling the unit manager will defianatly do that. Again thanks guys. And colorado....your always welcome in Missouri to pay those huge, but not as huge as Colorado, tag prices!! Kidding

Howler 01-10-2006 09:06 PM

And colorado....your always welcome in Missouri to pay those huge, but not as huge as Colorado, tag prices!! Kidding
And I'd want to come to MO. to hunt what, whitetail deer, nope we have those here, maybe to hunt turkey...nope have them here too, maybe to hunt elk,....nope we have the most elk of any state,. ... maybe to hunt mulies, nope...don't think there are any of them there,...maybe to hunt pronghorn,....nope none of them there either,....maybe to hunt moose,.....nope none of them there either, .....maybe to hunt bighorn sheep,.....nope none of them there either,....maybe to hunt..................well you get the picture..................Just kiddin';):D

Popere 01-11-2006 06:36 AM

louddrummer69,
don't let them get to you.:DWe do have a lot of good hunting in Colorado, but the turkey hunting SUCKS in this state. Mo. is the mecca of turkey hunting and one day I hope to be able to hunt turkey in your fine state.

Oh yeah don't want to forget the great bbq ya'll have.:D

louddrummer69 01-11-2006 07:29 AM

Your right about the hunting in Missouri but like Popere said Missouri is the Turkey capital of the world so your welcome to come here anytime. Also, for fishing we have the Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock Lake where you can catch some great smallies and largemouth, and of course,paddlefish....Missouri's state fish. Anyway, we might not have those fine animals that you were talking about but of what we do have we have alot and personally I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world.

Colorado Bob 01-11-2006 08:59 PM

Just about any area in SW Colo is good. 74,75,77,78 plus acouple around Cortez & Dolores. All are OTC. Lots of hunters but lots of elk also. Not to many big bulls---we shoot them as soon as they are legal. Better bulls in 76 but that takes years of applying to draw a tag.

Also lots of Merriams here in SW Colorado---many on Nat Forrest

AppleOnMyHead 01-12-2006 03:10 PM

Popere,

I'll put you on a trophy sized bird if you put me on a trophy sized bull elk. I'm just South of Mizzou in the foothills of the Arkansas Ozarks. My family's land lies right in the corner of three counties that are in the top 5 counties for kills each year.I can't remember the last year a good bird (10+ inches) wasn't killed whenthere was actually some serious hunting going on.