Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270 for moose

Old 01-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 270 for moose

Moose often just walk away no matter what you shoot them with. I have friend who is a airline pilot and hunts all over. He shot a big Bull Moose in Alaska with his Sako 300 Win Mag three times and he just walked away around the bend in a river and out of sight. He followed it about 150 yards before he found it dead. He said the bull gave no indication what so ever that he was hit.

You will have no trouble with penetration with heavy 270 bullets as their SD is as high as any other caliber and higher than some.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:14 PM

I like the heavier bullets for animals with heavy bones. I shoot a 30-06 and I chose that over the .270 because of bullet weight. The .270 means a ceiling of 150 grain bullets, but the 30-06 can push 220 grain pills. I would recommend one of the 30 caliber rounds for moose; i.e. .308, 30-06, 300 win mag etc.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy has used his .270 on moose his whole life and he has at least 20 moose taken with it. I would use the 7mm mag myself ( its what I shoot ) but would not worry too much about a .270 either. I actually used a .338 win mag as my main moose rifle for many years and find the 7 mag kills em just as quick.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

I guarrantee that more moose have been shot with the old .303 British and 180 grain bullets than all other calibers combined. This old military cartridge has been widely used in Canada (moose capital of the world) by everyone including subsistence hunters since WW-1.
It is a very modest cartridge, consequently the .270 with 150 grain is just fine. Never expect a lung shot moose to fall down instanly. Usually if not too dissturbed their head will droop and they will lay down. If not they will just go 100-200 meters before tipping over.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:49 PM

me personally would not use a .270 for a moose beacause my dad went elk hunting this past year and he uses a 30.06 he said hte .270 barely did anything to the elk so a moose i son't know. You would have to use some good quality ammo and make a great shot on them.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:32 PM

Come on guys!
Stop trying to kill an elephant with a bee-bee gun!
Big animal = big gun. Best reason: YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHASE THEM, AND POSSIBLY LOOSE THEM!

Old 02-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

I guarrantee that more moose have been shot with the old .303 British and 180 grain bullets than all other calibers combined. This old military cartridge has been widely used in Canada (moose capital of the world) by everyone including subsistence hunters since WW-1.
It is a very modest cartridge, consequently the .270 with 150 grain is just fine. Never expect a lung shot moose to fall down instanly. Usually if not too dissturbed their head will droop and they will lay down. If not they will just go 100-200 meters before tipping over.

10-4!The .303 has killed more game in England, Africa and Canada, than the .30-30 in the US.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

IMHO....I would recommend a sharp stick! Here is my logic.....
More game has been killed with it than any other.
It doesn't weigh very much.
It is readily available.
Very little recoil. (Provided you throw it. If you stab him with it you could get a little reverb)
As long as you limit yourself to the range you are comfortable with(i.e. don't try to stab him from a range longer than your stick)and use proper point placement, you will be satisfied with the results!!!
Just remember to get comfortable with your stick and practice sufficiently to acquire the proper confidence.

As an added bonus, when you realize that you have spent all this money, time and effort on what could havebeen an outstanding hunt, perhaps even the hunt of a lifetime, but yet had to pass up your shot due to the fact that you un-necessarily handicapped yourself by trying to use the least amount of force possible............
you can use your stick to actually do a field study as to whether that realization at that particular point in time is any more painful than a sharp stick in the eye!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

gotta point there
Old 02-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I went moose hunting in Newfoundland this past October. The guides were telling us how they use 270's and 30.06's. That's what most of the locals use up there. They feel there is no need to use a magnum rifle.
.303 has killed more game in England, Africa and Canada, than the .30-30 in the US.
Lets remember local hunters have a different mentality than a hunter who is paying to hunt game that he or she doesn't see in their area. I said I used a .270win with success to both Elk and Moose here in my native province of saskatchewan. I also said I limited my shot angles, range and passed animal because of this fact...now while it hurt to go home empty when an opportunity was presented it really didn't cost me anything (travel, lodging, guide service, higher tag costs, etc). I do believe you can harvest such animals with a 270 win, etc but this doesn't make them the best choice either. For a guided hunt no doubt don't leave yourself short, most hunters I guided came with more than the animal really required but didn't want to be forced into a istuation where they either made a poor shot or let the only animal walk. Extremely understandable from a guides perspective and now equally fromthis hunters as well.

To each your own just realize the capabilities of the equipment, yourself and stick by them. If you can live with this then go for it!

Quick Reply: 270 for moose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.