Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Planning Montana hunt

Old 01-04-2006, 06:52 AM

Default Planning Montana hunt

I am planning a trip for this up coming fall to eastern Montana for Whitetail, Muleys and Antelope. Does anyone know when the Non resident applications are due so I can mark it on my calender?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Planning Montana hunt

Deer applications are usually due March 15 and antelope applications are usually due June 1.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: drh1175

I am planning a trip for this up coming fall to eastern Montana for Whitetail, Muleys and Antelope. Does anyone know when the Non resident applications are due so I can mark it on my calender?
Unless you are going outfitter or land owner sponsored you will have to draw a tag for each. There are only about 2,300 deer only tags available to NR hunters outside the Outfitter sponsored pool.Firstyear success rates for NR DIY deer only hunters is about 20%. In addition you will not be able to take more then 1 species. You can take either a muley or a whitey on your A tag but that is it.

Each antelope hunting district has a different quota for NR tags. The NR Quota is equal to 10% of the resident quota in each district. You have to specify which district you wish to hunt antelope in and you have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice of districts. Rarely will you draw a tag on a 2nd or 3rd choice.

Nemont
Old 01-04-2006, 02:41 PM

Thanks. I am not sure yet. I think we are Muley hunting but not sure. We are in the preliminary stages right now. My cousin is in charge we are going with one of his friends and have about 6 sections we can hunt. Thanks for your input
Old 01-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your in good with the landowner of those sections, you (in conjunction with the landowner)may be able to apply for landowner sponsoredNR tags (which are guaranteed). I think they may cost a little more. Check the regs for sure. I think there is about a 1 in 3 chance of drawing antelope in some of the better areas. I believe archery-antelope tags (#s 900)are guaranteed as well.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

The challenge with landowner sponored tags is that you can only hunt on the landowners deeded lands. No public lands or neighboring ranches. While 6 sections of land may sound like a lot of hunting area in Eastern Montana that is a drop in the bucket. In addition the landowner sponsored tags are not unlimited.

Nemotn
Old 01-15-2006, 07:21 PM

Don't take those Landowner Sponsored tags for granted anymore. I am a landowner in eastern MT and I just got my LS tag info from the Fish and Game. To sponsor a nonresident hunter this year, the landowner is required to permit public hunting at no charge. I will be surprised if many landowners will allow this. Now don't get me wrong, I do allow a few local hunters on at no charge but to allow unrestricted public hunting--no way. There is Block Management, State and Federal lands for that. This is just another way that the Fish and Game is driving a wedge between the hunting public and the landowners. Just my thoughts...
Old 01-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

I am confused how allowing more access is driving a wedge between landowners and hunters. I am a landowner also and do not view it as a wedge at all. If you do not want hunters on your land so be it. You are not being forced to allow access at all. If you solely wish to hoard game for wealthy NR hunters and thumb your nose at the average Joe then why should you get anything. You own the land but the people own the animal.

Nemont

P.S. I just saw you are an outfitter. Now it all makes sense to me. I think the hunters of Montana should put an end to Outfitter SponsoredGuaranteed tags. You should have to compete for clients just like any other business.It is further destroying the hunting heritage of our state. I have no issue with you doing what you want with your land that is your right but you should not have any kind of subsidy from the State of Montana to stay in business. You should have to go out and compete with others for their businessrather then have the state subsidize you with tags. Just my opinion. Doesn't surpriseme that you don't like anything that increases thepulics chance to hunt.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: PurpleSage

Don't take those Landowner Sponsored tags for granted anymore. I am a landowner in eastern MT and I just got my LS tag info from the Fish and Game. To sponsor a nonresident hunter this year, the landowner is required to permit public hunting at no charge. I will be surprised if many landowners will allow this. Now don't get me wrong, I do allow a few local hunters on at no charge but to allow unrestricted public hunting--no way. There is Block Management, State and Federal lands for that. This is just another way that the Fish and Game is driving a wedge between the hunting public and the landowners. Just my thoughts...
Purplesage,
You need to go back and read the LS tag requirements again. I just got them and they do no say what you are implying.Anylandowner whoowns more then 160 acresis allowed to sponsor up to 15 hunters. Any landowner who own more the 640deeded, contigous acres goes into themini drawing andget one Deer comboLS licence, then thethere is a second drawing for those who are being sponsored by someone who owns less then 640 acres, applied as a party or did not get drawn in thefirst mini drawing. After that inMay there is a drawing for tags that were turned back orare left over from earlier drawings. If you, as a landowner, wished to participate in that (it is voluntary) you then, and onlythen,must give "reasonable" access to public hunting. I asked what the FWP's definition of reasonable was and they said it was up to the landowner. So I don't know why you would say that the FWP is driving a wedge between landowners and the hunting public. You have complete control of the access and only have to allow reseasonable public access if you choose to participate in the left over drawing. I called the FWP to verify all of this.

I understand you don't like giving access to the public but to spread things that are false and then say the FWP is driving a wedge between landowners and the hunting public is a bad tactic. It doesn't surprise me though in dealing with most members of MOGA they would just as soon end all access to any private land for non paying hunters.

Nemont
Old 01-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

drh1175, If you draw a General deer license? Youcan shoot a whitetail or mule deer buck. If you wish to take a second deer?You will need to buy a left over B-tag. This will allow you to take a second deer. Either a whitetail or mule deerdoe? This will depend on the tag you buy. You will have topickthe species at the time of purchase.
The antelope tags in the 700-units shouldoffer 100% draw odds? There is a ton of public land to hunt in the 700-region. Just look at the maps & know where you are before you shoot.
I though I was going to have to fight a outfitter one day in the field. He insisted the antelope I was looking at was on his land. Itold him I was a local with a map& he could go fly a kite. I told him I know for a fact that this is BLM land. I told him if he did not stop bothering me? I would have him arrested. I guess thathe took the warning to heart when I told him my name. I even showed him my drivers license. He said isn't your brotherthe game warden? Ijust grinned. I do not have a brother, but he did not know that. We just have the same last name. The antelope was onBLM land. The outfitters land was over 4-miles away. I killed the buck he was trying to save for a client. The bucks score was79 & 5/8-inches.Boone & Crocket Minimum is 80-inches.
IMHO Hunting season turns outfitters, land owners & hunters into a bunch of selfish jerks. All over Money & Horns.

Quick Reply: Planning Montana hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.