Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk guide question.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk guide question.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, draw vs OTC tags, if you get a draw state, you might not be hunting if you don't get drawn, so if the outfitter is in a draw state/area, make sure to get an understanding of what happens if you don't draw and what the options are.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:06 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I can recommend Crazy Horse Outfitters here in CO. You can stay in a cabin and he can take you in from there. I know him personally and he does a GREAT job and is all about the customer.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks to everyone who has posted and sent pm's etc. I have been checking all of the links you all have sent. It is very frustrating work. After a while it all seems to blend together. I guess now it all comes down to speaking with the people and seeing what they have persoanlly to offer. The Harrisburg sports show is next month, and I noticed some of the guides you've recommended will be there. I will have to go see thier spreads. After the first post on this thread I was beginning to question whether my requests were unreasonable, but after a few of you good people helped me, I can see that they were in the ballpark. Thanks again!!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:27 AM

Dropped you a mail you can also look in www.huntinfo.com in outfitter reviews and get info on some outfitters and if you decide to go without a guide can point you at some elk.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Spike

My friend and I are planning to hunt in '07 with a place called Upper Canyon Outfitters in SW Montana. I have not hunted with them, but we chose them because my friend knows a guy who knows them personally and he swears they are top notch. Their web address is www.ucomontana.com. They have both pack-in hunts and lodge hunts for a little over $3K. I do know that one of the owners is on the Montana Outifitters Board, for what that's worth. Also, when I asked them for a list of all their previous year's clients, they sent it to me immediately. I have not bothered to call any of them yet, however. They are in a 4" brow tine area, so you can't shoot spike bulls. Other than that, they seem to be a very reputable outfit. I hope that helps. Wherever you end up going, I'd like to hear about the hunt. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2006, 03:14 PM

Billy Stockton in Wise River, Montana.. He has guided Jim Zumbo & Chuck Yeager. Give him a call. He's know as a good bear outfitter too. Call 1-406-782-9532 or go to http://www.stocktonoutfitters.com/# and check it out. I haven't seen him in 4 years, but he was always fair with me..
Old 01-20-2006, 08:29 PM

They might not be in there but check in www.huntinfo.com under outfitter reviews good info.