Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Share your best elk hunting tips >

Share your best elk hunting tips

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Share your best elk hunting tips

Old 12-20-2005, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Share your best elk hunting tips

The only modification I’d make to your plan, as far as location, is throw the elevation idea out the window. HUNT THE SNOW LINE! During that time you may have a very established snow line as low as 6000 ft. Cows will still be in herds, so if you spot 1, look for others. It’s the others that you didn’t see that spooks the one you did.

Once you cut fresh tracks. Cow talk, cow talk, cow talk! Get a Primos hoochie momma and practice with it. The rut will probably be over, and them Bulls will be quiet, but cows talk year round. You can still call in a cow this time of year simply by using a talk. Get used to that “Mew” sound, and if you hear something coming toward you that sounds kinda like a little flock of birds going “cheeer”, cheeer”, or “mewww”, meeww”, and it kinda sounds like that hoochie momma in your hand, get ready!

If you leave the road and pack in make sure you have a good frame pack and rope. Those internal packs suck when it comes to strapping 100lbs of meat to it. Meat bags will help, as you’ll want to bone out the meat for the pack out. Make sure you have lots of water or a water purifier, and hydrate often. Don’t “think” you’re in good shape; make sure you are in good shape!

Happy hunting and I hope you bag a good, fat cow!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

and uhmm also knives,,very sharp knives, a hatchet and or an ax and a good sharpening device.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:40 PM
RPL

I hunted The Bob Marshall/Scapegoat area in Montana Last October. It is very rugged country. A couple of things thatI learned were:
1)Every ounce that you carry in the mountains will feel like pounds by the end of the day. I'm seriously considering a lightweight mountain rifle for my next elk hunt.
2) Your footwear is critical to a successful hunt. I wore a pr. of well broken in Cabela's Outfitters Boots. The removable insoles were slightly worn in one spot. I didn't even notice it while wearing them while hiking or huntingback home. In the mountains, I could tell exactly where that worn spot on the insole was by the end of the day. New insoles next time. Fortunately I didn't end up with a blister on the bottom of my foot. Also, I could easily feel the difference between a new pair of marino wool socks and a somewhat used pair. On my next elk hunt I will bringnew or at least like new socks.
3)You can never be in too good a physical condition. I jogged, bicycled and backpacked 35 lbs. almost everyday all summer to get in shape. The mountains still kicked my ass but at least I could go where ever the guide wanted to. Some of my buddy's that didn't work out had a very hard time of it and it limited their ability to hunt hard. It paid off for me on the 6th daywhen we spotted a herd of elk over a mile away. The guide and myself were able to hike through some tough country to get close enough to take a nice 6x6 bull. Two of the other hunters that were not in good enough shape had to stay behind.
Enjoy your hunt, there is nothing like hunting elk in the Rockies.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:25 PM

After reading all of these reply's, The suggestions you should adhere to the most are: Don't expect to hunt tree line in Colorado on Oct. 15th! The snow will have driven the elk down, and your chances with them. Hunt snow line and above a little. It takes quite a snow to push elk out.
Leave your bugle calls at home. Cow, talk only! I carry a minimum of three different ones. Mostly to sound like different cows/calfs, but also knowing some might freeze up in the cold. Carry calls in pocket or on laniards inside your coat.
Cows are herded up and the bigger bulls stay higher up in their bachelor groups. A personal suggestion/request: If you come along a cow/calf, please harvest the calf. The cow will survive the winter where the calf will likely not. It's better eating and less to carry out. And still a lot of meat!
Most success I've had is at or near first light and last light at edges of timber. Maybe a clear cut, or small park. (Watch the moon phase!) They stay out longer in low or no moonlight.
Finally, this sounds stupid and obvious, but . . .go where the elk are.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:59 AM

Youmention that you've been studying maps, that's good. I assume you'll be carrying a GPS to nav with, but I'd advise you to also carry a compass and be comfortable using it. Colorado is big country and you can quickly find yourself turned around and in trouble. There's a reason they have a surcharge tacked onto the license for search and rescue. I had incident last season where my 'new' GPS fritzed and we were pushing thru some dark timber. Several hours into the push, I realized I was alone and had lost radio contact with my whole team. While I always go prepared to spend the night if I have to, it's still an unnerving experience. Using my map and compass, I found my way back, but it was a very, very long march.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:43 PM

always know which way the wind is blowing.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:48 AM

Elk are where they are, sounds silly, but as far as elevation, don't get locked in thinking they are only high. The latter part of October I have heard of guys bugling them in but this is an exception, not the norm. Around my neck of the woods, they are so educated to calls (thanks mostly to the "Hoochie Mama", not that they aren't good but they are so easy to use, that everyone does and do alot) that calling should be kept to a minimum.

Be in the woods at sunrise and sunset, not at camp, and there is no such thing as morning/evening hunts,half of the elk I have harvested have been between the hours of 11 and 2.

There have been some good tips so far....

Look for a head, leg, not a whole elk

Wind

Be prepared to hike miles and miles over the course of your trip

Good luck, and use a gps in conjunction with a good compass, that will save you a search and rescue bill when you return from your trip!

Old 01-12-2006, 05:08 PM

I hate to say it but when I hunt elk I wake up early slide my bedroom window open and pick a target out of the herd in my garden and pull the trigger. At least that is how it went this year. I woke early to go hunting and noticed a couple cows in the yard so I sat tight till it got light and took a yearling cow from my bedroom window. Hardly sporting but It was payback, the year prior my dog was wounded by an elk in the yard and later died of it's injuries.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

For whatever it's worth, I've never been elk hunting and know nothing about it but what i will tell you is that while on my deer/antelope hunt in WY last year I ran intoseveral elk hunters in high elevations/heavy timber and all were advising that they were having minimal success. Durring the course of my trip, while heading out of a particular field we were hunting, we nearly crashed into a band of HUGE bull elk (approx 6 or 7) while they were crossing the road into a near by field to feed(approx 7pm). My father-in-law, who has hunted elk advised that two of the bulls would have scored in the 320-340 range. I was temped to take a shot at one but I didn't care to spend the hollidays in jail and give up my first born.. Nevertheless, it was an amazing experience to see those beautifull animals in the open. The very next day we ran into some more elk hunters and advised them of what we saw and theyjust starredat us in disbelief....
Old 01-14-2006, 11:01 PM

Alsatian,

If I could echo some advice that a couple other people gave you. The most important thing to watch is the wind. They will smell you before you ever see them. Second, the elk at this time will be around 8,000 ft. Sure you can find elk higher, but why work so hard for something you can find closer and lower. Elk usually water in the evening so I would suggest checking out meadows in early morning and late evening. Elk go down to water at night and are heading back to dark timber in the morning. Try find out where they are bedding and ambush them in between. Dont hunt them in their beds, if they bust you, they will move to another area. Elk do not do good with pressure. Watch your thermals as well. Rifle hunters usually stomp around in the woods and hope to find an animal. You can be more efficient if you learn some simple calls. You will be hunting the tail end of the rut and could get lucky with some calling. Locate the elk with a call, then shut up and work in slowly. Get to about 100 yards and then call again. Cows will come in running a lot of times. As far as equipment goes, I would make sure you have a range finder and a gps. Someone told you to bring rope. Too heavy, take nylon cord atleast a 100ft. If you really want to read about someone who knows back country elk hunting. Purchase Cameron Hanes book "Backcountry Bowhunting". It is coming out in Jan and will give you some good insight to what you should be prepared for. Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: Share your best elk hunting tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.