Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk hunting during the rut >

Elk hunting during the rut

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting during the rut

Old 12-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk hunting during the rut

So, I got this rifle tag to hunt elk during the rut. Now I've been elk hunting for the last 10 years but only for spikes as they are the only option during the general season here in E. Wash. And the hunt is always the end of Oct./ beginning of Nov. I've got no experience hunting elk in the rut other than the 100 videos I've seen on what it looks like.

You guys have any tips or suggestions? Is there anything you thing you should or shouldn't do? The area we're going has a lot of hunters in it but also a lot of elk so I expect to have to work kinda hard to get a decent bull. I already plan on hiking my butt off to get away from most of the other hunters but I've never hunted the area so I'm not sure what the area is like other than forested hills about 5k to 7k feet elevation.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunting during the rut

Since I know where your hunting I can tell you it's very steep and depending on where you are can range from very brushy to a 500 yard clearcut. I don't hunt during the rut but I would just locate a bull that is bugling and sneak in using judicious cow calling to cover your approach. But be careful there will probably be a bunch of idiots out there bugling like crazy so identify your target and go for bulls that are down in the rugged stuff because it's less likely to be a hunter.

I wouldn't bugle much if any. Usually, satelitte bulls and spikes will come in silenty and it will sometimes run dominant bulls out. They usually do not want to hang around and let you bust off a piece when they can just take their cows and go away. On the flip side, sometimes if you can get in close to a dominant bull and bugle at him, he may become incensed and beforced (or choose)to confront you rather than let you sneak in and breed his cows so that CAN work but I prefer just sneaking around and cow calling. This is just my experience however.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think we're basically going to drive out to an area as far as we can and just set up camp. Then we'll hunt there a few days until we get a feel for how the area is. Might just keep out ears open for bugles and carefully hunt up those bulls.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I would do. There is alot of areas that are over bugled and sometimes they will just clam up. You shouldn't have to bugle, you should be hearing them.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Elk can be found here in Idaho at the elevations mentioned. 6000-7000' is where I'd concentrate heavily on though from my experience here.

You are absolutely correct in getting back off the beaten path. If you're near a trailhead there will probably be more rigs there than you care to see. If not, use them to get into the mtns deeper before daylight, at least 2 miles! Other than that, stay away from traiheads, they're people magnets!

Check maps out carefully as a pre-scouting challenge. Know where you're going to go before you ever get there. Look for drainages with water or ponds, somewhat flat bottoms or park-like areas are great. Have several areas as options if one or two don't pan out! The elk are there, hunt the less pressured areas, yes it's possible but not if you're not a serious hunter!

Make sure you plan ahead in how to get your elk out & to keep it in good shape once at camp & on the road home!

I personally wouldn't even consider not taking a bugle & mouth reeds during an elk hunt in the rut.

If you have no desire to learn how to bugle, then leave it home!!!However, if the opposite is true, then pick up a good grunt tube & some single reed diaphramgs & start practicing now, you want to be very good & convincing to elk, also you must learn to call in such a way that you know what you're saying so as not to push elk away but instead get them to respond to you just enough to give away their location.

As a bowhunter there have been countless times I've been in the woods & it be deadly silent for hours only to have it come alive by me getting things fired up, this is not difficult to do in Sept. & early Oct. I couldn't have done it without bugling. I could go into cow calls too, but I won't!!!

Too, when things seem too quiet & you can't get elk located by sign or sound in daylight hours, then go to plan B, this requires a bugle though!! Hit the woods, especially high-points or the top of drainages where sound can carry. It doesn't matter if you drive around or hike to noted areas of this sort. Do this after 11:00 p.m. at night of course, elk are very vocal & brave at this time & will answer anything, thus giving away their location for a mornings hunt. Elk will be there at first light so get there early (hour before light) to both listen & get a strategy together, and to get a direction they're heading towards their bedding area. -----Do not try to call elk to you once they answer at night!!!!!!!

Anyway, take the time to learn these important things & you won't be sorry!!!! By all means do yourself a favor & start practicing with that bugle now!!!!--------------------------ElkNut1

Old 12-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with elknut, I wouldn't hunt elk without some calls in my pack. Near rut I wouldn't think about not toting a tube for bugling either. I certainly am not in his league with regards to calling and knowing what to say butI am learning. Without calls I can sayno questions their would have been a lot less elk meat in my freezer.

His plan B has been a strategy we have employed for years and it has paid off huge, especially in the pastfew years where the season and vocal elk haven't gone hand in hand. This year we took 2 bulls by locating them at night, then slipping in on them in complete darkness the next am. Our party believes whole heartily in hunting harder and smarter, we have reaped the rewards for these efforts. Not to mentioned learned a ton.

I would suggest buying some mouth calls and practicing. For me it took time to get the sounds I wanted to produce and I am still not their yet. I have heard accomplished callers state it is like a musical instrument it takes time to develop the skill and lots of practice to keep/hone that skill. Next would be get info maps, scouting trips, etc on what you'll face. Preperation is very much a part of the hunt and IMHO a huge playerwhen it comes tosuccess in the field.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got it. Will buy a bugle and cow call this winter and start practicing. I already have a dozen elk hunting videos, most with calling and hunting during the rut (Primos) so I'll drive my wife nuts and do some elk screeming in the living room. I'm sure my daughter will get a kick out of it!