Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Eastman Hunting Movies

Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Eastman Hunting Movies

Back in the late 60's a man came to town, rented the town hall , set up a large screen and showed the most fantastic hunting footage I have ever seen. It was Northern BC and Alaska Pack trips that must have been filmed in the early 60's or late 50's. They must have taken years to film.His namemay have been Gordon Eastman. He may have been connected to Kodak but I could be wronge. All this color footage was I believe 16 mm and I have never seen any better.
Does anyone remember this stuff and if so any info?
Also is this film still available on video?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 PM

Default RE: Eastman Hunting Movies

go to www.eastmans.com. his son kept up the videos and publishes a magazine. best place to start.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

thanks settler,

I think you have solved my problem

Thanks again
Old 12-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have a few old Eastman movies...probably the same ones you are speaking of. One in particular shows them traveling the CAN-AM highway. Gorgeous scenes, good hunting...I watch them several times a year when I feel the urge....like now.

Does anyone remember the Olive Turner and her husband Jack....regarding early days near Lonesome Lake, BC??? I used to read those stories again and again (Outdoor Life) as a kid. Good stuff.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:40 AM

The Eastman's show us what hunting can be like and should be like. It is about putting the time in, the work in, and doing it fair chase. These boys don't ride a four wheeler to a tree stand overlooking a corn feeder.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: feddoc

I have a few old Eastman movies...probably the same ones you are speaking of. One in particular shows them traveling the CAN-AM highway. Gorgeous scenes, good hunting...I watch them several times a year when I feel the urge....like now.

Does anyone remember the Olive Turner and her husband Jack....regarding early days near Lonesome Lake, BC??? I used to read those stories again and again (Outdoor Life) as a kid. Good stuff.
I was only 10 years old when I spotted an outdoorlife mag while shopping with mom for groc. It was 1965 and cost 35 cents. I challenge anyone to read that old addition and then read the last 10 years of Outdoor Life say 1990 to 2000. The editors should be the first to do this little experiment and see which they would choose to take to a deserted island.
In my opinion, it is almost criminal what has been done to a great old magazine.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

ORIGINAL: feddoc

I was only 10 years old when I spotted an outdoorlife mag while shopping with mom for groc. It was 1965 and cost 35 cents. I challenge anyone to read that old addition and then read the last 10 years of Outdoor Life say 1990 to 2000. The editors should be the first to do this little experiment and see which they would choose to take to a deserted island.
In my opinion, it is almost criminal what has been done to a great old magazine.
You are so right. Hunting magazines nowadays are just expanded advertisements for a certain ranch, guide, outfitter, etc. Same as the shows.

When I moved to Alaska, there was so much I had to learn because the hunting was so different, and the terrain, etc. The gear required, how to charter an air taxi, what kind of tent to buy, etc. A good magazine with some how to stuff would have been great. Sadly, all they are about now is "how this guide put me on a 68-inch bull", blah, blah, blah.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:21 PM

Well AlaskaMagnum solds like your living the dream and I for one am envious. Living in PA, it is not easy to have the grand hunting adventure that the west and great north offer but I had a really great season and all I shot was a doe. Made some new friends and renewed some old friendships, that is what hunting is all about.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: setter77

Well AlaskaMagnum solds like your living the dream and I for one am envious. Living in PA, it is not easy to have the grand hunting adventure that the west and great north offer but I had a really great season and all I shot was a doe. Made some new friends and renewed some old friendships, that is what hunting is all about.
Well, if you call 35 degree weather after 18 inches of snow a "dream" I guess so. The kids are literally ice skating in front of my house there is so much ice on the street.

I never have been one to judge the quality of a hunt by the size of the antlers, and I agree, it IS the experience that counts, whether it is shooting a huge Yukon moose or a little whitetail, it is all good. I guess what I think is NOT good is all the guys on television talking about baiting their deer, putting out salt licks to hunt them over, and hunting them behind fences.

Hunting has become a billion dollar industry, and all the shows make it sound like you cannot kill anything without the new super duper scent killer, the latest single cam bow, or the new short magnum.

Funny, up here in the worst environments, I have found that simple wool clothing works the best, my map and compass are more reliable than my gps, and my little one burner coleman stove is the most dependable stove out there.

I do like my Leica's though. A guy has to draw the line somewhere
Old 12-11-2005, 05:17 PM

Well it is a dream of mine but I know for sure that my wife would never go for it. Although i did get her to agree on a trip there. Course we got 8 inches of snow and it is 30 degrees out. Your right the industry has become slightly out of hand, high fences and cheating has become too prevalent. A map and compass, people still using that?? Just kidding.

Quick Reply: Eastman Hunting Movies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.